Other Turtle Discussion :: Really dumb question lol

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:53 am   Really dumb question lol

I have a really dumb question. I just rescued 2 RES and I'm attempting to figure out sex (they are not babies) I thought maybe a boy and a girl but then started questioning it. I know the smaller one is definitely a boy as his front claws are super long. The larger one has shorter claws but not as short as I'm seeing females. As far as I can tell both have very flat bottom shells with no concave and both seem to have the longer tails of males. That being said, I just witnessed what I believe it 'courting' behavior of the smaller one to the larger one. Would a male 'court' another male?
RescueMom2

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:36 am   Re: Really dumb question lol

The courting behavior (fluttering) could also be used as a sort of warning gesture. Bottom shells don't really tell much with aquatic turtles, I would think that you have the genders guessed correctly.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:46 am   Re: Really dumb question lol

So, boy and girl huh? so, I'm brand new at this, am I going to have to worry about babies in the future at any time with these two?
RescueMom2

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:28 pm   Re: Really dumb question lol

ok I know this isn't the end of the world type issue, but I was doing some more digging (and just like my research with Bearded Dragons there's tons of conflicting) the 'jazz hand's' type move could also be construed as a dominance move between males?
I'm only attempting to confirm gender for our own benefit so that I can prepare ahead of time here.
The deal is front claws on both are relatively long although the smaller one has much longer ones. Tails are almost identical and heads are as well. The only major difference is that the smaller one is 4.5" and the larger one 5.5" and the larger one's claws are slightly shorter.
If I have 2 males, I may end up having to get a separate enclosure due to territory issues (smaller one has like a napoleon complex like a chihuahua lol).
They are absolute sweethearts but I had no plans to get RES's. These were rescues and I'm a sucker lol.
I had been planning on getting a russian tortoise to go with my beardie. Aquatic turtles require much different prep and care and I am a bit OCD about making sure I get it right lol.
RescueMom2

Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:45 am   Re: Really dumb question lol

If either RES is a male, you will likely have to separate at some point. Some females require separation, it depends on their personality.

Fluttering can be done by either, but you can consider it as part of a dominance gesture or a warning as I mentioned earlier. If they're still young, I would think it's more of a mating signal.

Aquatic care is a pain and multiple setups do not make it easier or cheaper. But it is very rewarding watching a RES zoom around the tank or all stretched out basking.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:19 pm   Re: Really dumb question lol

I have to agree, when I was able to get them into this larger tank the energy I got to witness was second to none in my world. I have no idea what kind of set up they had before I got them but obviously not big enough. I will more than likely have a 3rd tank (2 for these guys and one for my bearded) when I get just a bit more money in hand.
RescueMom2

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:58 pm   Re: Really dumb question lol

A bearded doesn't need an actual aquarium though? A pro about having a male RES is that they stay smaller and can go into a smaller tank. If you have the space for it, you can have a pretty impressive setup for your herps.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Other Turtle Discussion