Other Turtle Discussion :: Happy Holidays from...

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:23 pm   Happy Holidays from...

They just wanted to say Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays...

Mickey , male res 18 yrs young and his new friend Chopsley , Mississippi map about 2
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:52 pm   Re: Happy Holidays from...

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you too! Turtles get any holiday treats?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:05 am   Re: Happy Holidays from...

They did ! Some extra goldfish. I know some say no to that but I've been lucky for years. Breeding goldfish over 25 years for food and never had a problem. Can't be that fatty its only a carp and most cultures eat carp. Mickey only eats the throats and the organs! The throat is less fatty and the best meat. Like when I go offshore my captain lets me keep all the snapper heads that most do not want. I get about two pounds of the best meat ever from each. Chopsley's learning from Mickey but not as clean of an eater as he is. They got a Christmas tree too , took one from my HO train set stuck it on there dock. Mickey just played linebacker with it. Also think he's planning to go to the Olympics since I made the basking area 3" higher he loves going on top and just jumping off. The way he does it , not fear , rather he loves it!
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:31 pm   Re: Happy Holidays from...

Sounds like they had a good time!

Interesting how he goes after the throat. My male RES would do something similar, going after the head so he didn't have to chase it afterwards.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:03 pm   Re: Happy Holidays from...

Lots of time he will chase them but then I think he's more playing with them. When he really wants one its cool , sits on the bottom under some driftwood the branchy part. Waits , shoots his head out and misses but stays there. He not 100% in the catching area like when a youngster but pretty dam high. Maybe Mickey is truly aiming for the head then just gets the throat from bottom as they pass by? An almost miss? Funny we see what we want from our kids.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:06 am   Re: Happy Holidays from...

It's been awhile since I've used live prey... been meaning too. I wonder if their hunting tactics will have changed.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:25 am   Re: Happy Holidays from...

Hunting is natural. I have always set tanks up as natural as I could , never believed in glass ponds with no rocks or anything. A natural pond does not have glass sides to see through. AS you have seem in some of my pic's. A normal RES will dig up anything.... just to see I think if they can eat it. In nature an animal never knows where its next meal is coming from. Think that's why one is always begging. Yes we tame them and feed them and keep as pets but I and this is only what I think , keep there natural instinct alive. Myself could not understand why over the years some people want to change a turtles behavior. I've told some of them they should of gotten a dog. I feel that's why so many turtle's (RES) are released into the wild and most die due to wrong habitat. That's like humans... a fiancé saying I'II marry her/ him and change them later? Instinct is instinct I don't think captive breeding will breed it out. Chopsley my little map I feel is learning since it's with Mickey ,adult RES male. Know one day they will not get along as well and have to separate. Never know , had mix size together of years and all was good. It only takes one for a problem. My little wife says when that happens no more tanks one will have to go...? I will listen and or read what others say like this forum but when some I read never give live food...too fatty... It's been a long time and in my mid sixty's now since I have ever/if ever seen a fat wild turtle !!! This forum / you really help people that's new I enjoy that. Other forum's don't care if your turtle dies or not it's all about the forum/out doing each other.... Not all people should have a pet that's just real life. This forum is all about the turtle and I thank Turtle Talk for that.

Hey , when I changed the indoor tank for Chopsley (Map) Mickey adult RES male said the hell with that. Three weeks me and Mickey have been fighting on arrangements . Mickey won , watched Mickey move a block weighed more than two pounds than he and put it were he wanted. Bottom line he moved all to his liking. Chopsley will just have to go along with for now his big brother. Think the map is getting more from Mickey than me... hope/wish they can stay together a long time.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:09 am   Re: Happy Holidays from...

We'd normally recommend minnows over goldfish rather than not using live prey. As for some releasing RES, I think it's a copout. A turtle could easily be a demanding pet like a dog and the associated costs can sometimes be more. Like you said, not all should have a pet.

I wonder what Chopsley and Mickey will think of next... sounds like they make an excellent duo :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:31 am   Re: Happy Holidays from...

Ha , like yesterday after I wrote those post. Caught them by surprise , Chopsley was on top Mickey , Mickey jumped in and Chopsley almost stayed on , a double dive. I have only had three turtles in my time that had this kind of friendship with the size difference. My boss/wife starting to warm up to both now seeing how both are together. What a show they put on. Also I do breed Rosie reds in my 70 gallon plant tank mainly for feeding. That way I know they are healthy ! I get the goldfish as feeder's from store (only say 20 in a five year period ) and its habit for me to breed them to but have much better luck with the reds. I had a lazy turtle here and there over the years and used goldfish to keep them on there toes. Some action in the tank. Sometimes the goldfish would just bug them. Guest more for me than them but still do it. Most of the goldfish from 1" feeders are 6-8" in another tank which I sell to a local aquatic shop. When one or both are sleeping at least I see some goldfish moving around. I catch them sometimes watching from the basking area with there heads moving side to side watching the goldfish to. Like a fisherman on a dock saying what kind of bait we use to get one of those. Looks like they are at times learning something from watching the fish ?
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:24 pm   Re: Happy Holidays from...

They're smart predators, observing their prey. Good idea to have the wife more involved, once she sees their personality, she will be hooked :)
steve
Site Admin

Return to Other Turtle Discussion