Feeding and Nutrition :: appetite declining, don't know why

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:54 am   appetite declining, don't know why

My RES is about 5-6"/2 years old. He typically eats 1/2 teaspoon of pellets 5 times a week, and then a mealwork mix on day 6 and anacharis on day 7. Recently, he has been eating fewer and fewer pellets, eating maybe only 5-6 pellets, and stopped eating anacharis all together. He's still very active, and nothing else seems different about him. Any ideas?
alihikaua

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:33 am   Re: appetite declining, don't know why

Is the weather much cooler where you are? A few of us RES keepers have RES that eat less over the winter, even though water/basking temperatures are the same.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:35 pm   Re: appetite declining, don't know why

steve wrote:Is the weather much cooler where you are? A few of us RES keepers have RES that eat less over the winter, even though water/basking temperatures are the same.

Sorry, no. I live in Hawaii.
alihikaua

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:35 pm   Re: appetite declining, don't know why

I'd try changing the brand, have you tried live prey?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:33 am   Re: appetite declining, don't know why

He's been eating this brand for the last year. I tried changing the brand a few months ago, and he refused to eat it, so I went back to the one I have. When I first got him, he'd eat the occasional guppy, but stopped eating live prey a while back. I've had guppies, platys, tetras and rasboras in the tank with him, and he ignores them all. He hasn't given up eating all together, but he's eating at maybe 25% of what he usually does. If it's not a natural fluctuation, the only thing I could think is maybe some kind of intestinal blockage reducing his appetite? Bottom line, I'm not sure whether to be concerned or not.
alihikaua

Post Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:11 pm   Re: appetite declining, don't know why

Try holding the fish by the tail and let it wiggle in front of his face. Lack of appetite does happen, just keep a close eye out for any other symptoms.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:52 am   Re: appetite declining, don't know why

ok, thanks Steve
alihikaua

Return to Feeding and Nutrition