Equipment Review and Discussion :: UV sterilizer's

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:17 pm   UV sterilizer's

Steve , if this post appears twice cut one. Sorry see now where I could do that. My upgrade to windows 10 locked up. Wish I stayed with windows 7 home edition! Ok , just looking for real info on sterilizers. Don't have a problem , thinking as I get older for help with less maintenance. I hear that they work. But what I don't see is why one was needed / what caused a problem , just they work. I'm only have about 20 post on this forum but have over 30 years in hobby. Successful ! Mickey is 18 now , would of had older friends but Katrina took them. Only found Mickey adult male RES , my friend , after that hurricane. I like keeping all natural tanks. Some friend use natural sand I use natural river rocks. Both work. But here and videos I see never get to what caused there problem. Newbies that have asked me what they can do for a problem and I always ask why the problem showed up. Manufactured gravel breaks down over years , ornament , what type of rocks , plastic plants/live , a lot has an affect on tanks. Some are looking for a miracle drug or product to do all there work. Myself I even test my tap water. I've been asked why...in my city it changes from winter to summer. Now it's very high alkaline. Lately I did find an all natural waste remover , fluker's and I say it really works. Find that it does break down the solid waste so the filter get most of it. Can see big difference in filter. I'm getting older with way to many tanks. Wife and I agree it will get down to one 150 gallon indoor. Have pictures on this forum and I think its OK/good. Finding good real homes for some friends but taking a long time. They will never be put in the wild by me to die. Like Mickey , my daughter into turtles and will take Mickey , want him to live another 18 years after I am gone. I'm a DIY guy (retired) and/or use what I got. Have lots pond filters and use them just change media up for turtles. Bio filter's home made , all work very well. Found this forum is the best , good people , good advise , really into the health of there friends. So I need some help here if UV sterilizers can help cut down maintenance. My water has no problems so starting with good , thinking less maintenance since I'm in retirement. Again some say they had cloudy water and put a sterilizer in tank ,it worked. ME I always ask why it got cloudy before a fix. Some never find out why it happened or why a problem showed up , most of the time it was/is them. Something they put in the tank or did. I have to me a good setup good water and healthy friends. As I get older just looking for easier/less maintenance so I can have even better habitats for my friends. Thanks' guys ! Any readings or ideas.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:17 am   Re: UV sterilizer's

I'm not the go-to-guy on UV sterilizers but I don't think it would help much with tank maintenance. It could help prevent potential infections and algae growth but it will do nothing for the waste. A strong filter will help with that and partial water changes will let you stretch the frequency of the maintenance you need to do. Since you're careful with your water sources, you might be able to prefilter it as well. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33171
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:54 am   Re: UV sterilizer's

All the live plants I have control the algae growth and that parts is good. As far as water after our last big storm I have a three canister filter system but its set up for humans. There are pro and lot of cons about say PH for humans... with cancer in the house , its all about what you read and believe. May take one canister away and set it up just for turtle water??? Boy what we do for our friends. Wont be elaborate ! Think I'm really looking at just getting LAZY when I get older and planning for anything that can help today to be ready. Think about it I put say two hours aside for a water change for all tanks , mid 60's not bad but 80's could see a problem... Know turtles are a long time commitment ! Just thinking before that age thing happens...
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:10 am   Re: UV sterilizer's

Hey guy's. This morning just playing around with numbers/cost... over my 30 or so years in hobby added a rough cost. I stopped add when my heart was beating faster! A LOT like another child... if you do it right. Boy the cost of things have gone UP. In my retirement , readjusting things , glad I'm a DIY guy. I will do without before wife/kids/turtles (other kids). With 2017 coming I wonder just say what the new model FX6 will cost in the end ? Be nice if they kept it around 290-300 they would have all the market... BUT we will see. We need to come up with a better word than inflation/greed ...maybe rape? I'm insurance poor today hope I win a lottery , oh I have to play to win. I actually got a turtle in 1961 my first...with a dollar a week allowance did very good. Thought I was rich. Then a cement laundry tub was it's home... well lets just say it went down the drain and all was over. I was to young then. Made my dad take the plumbing out but was gone. If you are old enough one may remember those cement Landry tubs.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:30 pm   Re: UV sterilizer's

FX6 is pricy, but many love it. It was on sale a couple of times recently @ Petsmart, once for 1/2 off another for around $220 I think. If you do decide to get one, theres a slightly newer version (a bit of grey/silver on the box) and there is a promo for a free gravel vacuum that can connect to the filter. That might make maintenance just a little bit easier.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:34 am   Re: UV sterilizer's

Litefoot,
I use a UV in my 125 gallon tank. I have great filtration, plants and one male RES. The UV sterilizer is not a filter and will not remove any waste. It does prevent free floating algae in the water and cloudy bacterial blooms I have had in the past from partial water changes. It also kills bacteria and viruses in the water. I have two of these and they work quite well (not in the same tank). The interesting thing is that they are about $50 shipping included. As an aside they provide extra flow which is beneficial. I hope this helps.
Attachments
IMG_1364.JPG
IMG_1364.JPG (19.87 KiB) Viewed 13533 times
IMG_1363.JPG
IMG_1363.JPG (38.52 KiB) Viewed 13533 times
kiwi

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:37 am   Re: UV sterilizer's

Hey Kiwi , thanks for the info. We have about the same setup. I go mostly natural like live plants , Hornwort for cleaning the water and anaharis for food. My guy Mickey is an adult male RES , well he just eats everything ! Wish I could have a bigger tank for him. Have a 70 tank just to grow local plant for him. No store bought plants I get good wild / safe plants from all the water around me. After decades doing this I'm thinking of my age/health. Anything to make it easier down the road. Yes I knew not a filter but something to help the water to me will help the filter. Working against viruses would be good in that area. Now as far as bacteria (read ten books get 10 different opinion's) will it kill my good bacteria as well as the bad? Have a 5 gallon DIY bio filter that does well , hate to see the healthier environment that I have go away . I'm been around a good while and most of the time stuck in my old ways. To me UV sterilizers are new tec , how long you have used them. I'm just starting to look at them. Like I said just looking at things that will make my old age easier without taking anything away from my turtles/kids.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:30 pm   Re: UV sterilizer's

Kiwi , saw some pic's on your hyacinths , very good. Look's like your are into the 6500K lighting ? Only problem I have is Mickey would go through that in no time. (18yr old male RES) He never stops that why I have a separate plant tank. The new wife/new home said to many tanks and he was re homed but man died and have him back now. But Ellen say he must go ! Too dam big ! This week a local aquatic garden said may take him, they took other smaller turtles from me. The only indoor pond I really have is for my new Mississippi map. He/she is getting Mickeys old home. Here's what happening with it for now , hope this works...

https://youtu.be/z2BQnmC8zgQ
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:56 am   Re: UV sterilizer's

Litefoot,
After your tank has cycled there are minimal bacterial floating in the water column. The majority of the bacteria are adhered to substrate or have colonized in the media of your filter. So basically no worries.
kiwi

Post Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:45 am   Re: UV sterilizer's

Kiwl, Thanks' talking to people that actually use one will always be better than reading an ad or article !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:34 pm   Re: UV sterilizer's

Going three days with a Sun Sun uv sterilizer (cup-613) in my setup. Never had a problem with cloudy water , no algae problems due to all the live plants I have and my maintenance schedule works for me and my pets/kids. My modified in tank filter has always worked and my 5 gallon DIY bucket bio filter is very good. As far as this sterilizer in the tank I have not notice any better clarifying going on. Three day's at 528gph , they say , well ? It's a 150 gallon stock tank with 125 gallon of water. Tank has always been crystal clear ! Was just looking for more/better and or anything that would get me to the next level... Sure it will be some kind of help with bacteria and any viruses down the road and time will only tell that ? Being it has its own pump it has some size that I hate , lost of space. Today I can only say I have a very large circulation pump/power head added to my setup. But I will give it more time and see? Three days are long enough for quality change. When you /I have a good setup to start with and want to take it one step farther well at this point they are very small improvements. Good is good. Sure if someone started with cloudy water and or other problems they would see a big change with this uv sterilizer. The day Mickey try's to push it out the tank is the day it goes. And the way Mickey (adult male RES ) is think he could pick it up and throw it out the tank. He loves putting things where he wants not were I want ! Today I give it one star , down the road maybe more? If someone has a big problem sure it will help you , try it. If looking for the next level of clarity when you have a good tank it's at best minuscule to me , that's only me saying that. Will update down the road.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:47 pm   Re: UV sterilizer's

Litefoot,
I have good water quality also, so I guess I should have mentioned that I don't run it all of the time. When I alter the tank as in water changes I turn it on. As for the "one star" what about it earned such a low rating? It's not going to make clear tank water clearer.
kiwi

Post Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:47 pm   Re: UV sterilizer's

Kiwi ,

Please don't take this or anything I said personal. I was not using you as singular but as a plural ! As far as one star to me it's my opinion...that for me I did not see much if any (extra) clarifying. SunSun or any product dose not say you must have a dirty/cloudy tank to start , just UVC clarifying on the box...any more would be a persuasion on my or anyone's part. As I stated in the post I'm always looking to take things to the next level if I can.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:11 am   Re: UV sterilizer's

What about an in-line sterilizer?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:23 am   Re: UV sterilizer's

steve wrote:What about an in-line sterilizer?

Steve,
Inline sterilizers are much more costly and require plumbing and mounting. This particular unit can be left in your tank or removed. It is held by four suction cups so it's easy to pop in and out of the tank.
kiwi

Next

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion