Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New turtle Mom

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:44 pm   New turtle Mom

Hi, we have just adopted a 23 year old res named Tina. Can use lots of advice. :D :msgreen:
Bohemiangirl

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:17 am   Re: New turtle Mom

Welcome to the site! Did Tina come with a tank and supplies? If so, any details on it or what she's in now?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:43 pm   Re: New turtle Mom

Yes Tina came with a tank and food, a regular light bulb, and a toothbrush. The tank was a 20 gallon long. We are a bit short on funds this week, so hadn't planned on buying a lot right away. However we went to look for a screen top and found a tank on sale for a dollar a gallon, so we did buy a 40 gallon breeder tank. Also we had purchased a basking bulb for one of our cleaning clients so we used that. When we moved the bulb to the new tank it burnt out, so we drove into town and purchased a new basking bulb, a heater and a thermometer. We have been reading and watching videos, so we did feed her a few pieces of leaf lettuce yesterday and are feeding her the pellets every other day. We are concerned about her shell. She has both green algae and shell rot[white spots]. From what we read it sounds like she was given too much protein. Being vegan ourselves we had to chuckle about that. I am trying to research how to treat her ourselves. She seems to like her new digs though. My boyfriend used to manage a specialized tropical fish store in the 80's ,so luckily he understands about filtration etc. She has filtered clean water and she did come with a filter although he says we need to switch to a better one. Happy if you can advise. :msgreen:
Bohemiangirl

Post Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:06 am   Re: New turtle Mom

Sounds like you're making great progress. Can you post some pics of her shell?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:07 am   Re: New turtle Mom

trying to figure out how to do this. I can post on my facebook page. I have made a bit more progress on shell but now have anew spot I am worried about. Alsosill figuring out about light sorces. I gave a 100 watt basking bulb. Want to buy a flourescent bulb. Not sure about wattage etc. Do i put it next to basking light? Appreciate the help
Thank you
Terrie
Bohemiangirl

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:52 pm   Re: New turtle Mom

How close will the bulb be? Most people either get an all in one bulb (a mercury vapor bulb aka MVB) but they are a little expensive or they get a basking lamp and a flourescent UVB bulb (either a compact bulb or tube). The basking lamp could be either a simple incandescent or a splash-proof halogen... so you do have lots of choices depending on your space and budget.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:03 pm   Re: New turtle Mom

Wow we already had a 100 watt incandescent, which unfortunately we found is not splash proof. Yesterday we bought a flourescent bulb, it is a 100watt tropical. We placed them side by side. The incandescent basking bub is sitting on top of a screen and the flourescent is clipped on the side of the tank and angled slightly. Tina is loving the new bulb. am following instructions from a website called Turtle Puddle.. to treat Tina's mild shell rot. I picked up some chlorhexidine to help the white spots to heal. It's been a real educational experience. I guess it's a good thing turtles are so strong health wise. I can't believe she survived the previous owner. I hope we are doing the right things. We ordered a filtration system and pump today. Do you have instructions how to get pictures on your site?
Terrie
Bohemiangirl

Post Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:40 am   Re: New turtle Mom

Do you mean the flourescent bulb is a "10.0"?

There is a link in my signature to link photos. If the picture isn't too large, you can embed it by clicking full editor and "Upload attachment".
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:11 pm   Re: New turtle Mom

Hi Steve, tis is getting more urgent. I found a good reference on turtlepuddle.org about treatment of mild shell rot. BTW it is not a tube but a spiral bulb. Anyway i really need to talk to or be able to have an ongoing conversation with someone familiar with shell rot, its been five days since I started treatment.as the scutes shed it has been getting more white spots showing. Now the one large piece on her lower back actually had some blood at the "seem: of the the very last plueral and marginal on her right side. I am going to call an exotic vet tomorrow, if I cant get someone to help me otherwise. I am afraid to put her back in the water, although we are keeping extremely clean and clear. My cell number is 269-830-4087 if you know of anyone that could advise me.
Bohemiangirl

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:11 am   Re: New turtle Mom

Can you post some pictures of the shell? White spots are far more likely to be fungus than shell rot. Getting in touch with a local exotic vet or rehabber would be the best thing to do with urgent matters.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.