Equipment Review and Discussion :: No Miracle Bulb Found...

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:37 pm   No Miracle Bulb Found...

Always hear talk about bulbs. Been doing an non-scientific test for several years. Done just for ME and sharing with you. It's only my opinion now. One goes through some bulbs over time. Also have that one hard to get to bulb on my house.
Bottom line way to many variables . The inconsistency's in products today.. ( Mexico , Indonesia , China...yes USA) fixtures , conditions , typical applications. One must read packaging back and front. Only front in large print years life the back small print (*) hours of use . Most of use 12hrs with a timer. Will never see all them years... A good porcelain fixture helps with the heat , Also good timer , surge protector all that helps the ARL.
I have a zoo med splash proof turtle bulb never turned off on my house with high quality porcelain socket still going three years. On/off kills bulbs ! Too bad better filaments not used , but that would take out the profit company's make on re sale bulbs. Smith Soane has a Thomas Edison bulb that still works ,never turned off. Yes very low wattage but works ! Must have been one with heavy filament before made cost effective?

HID's mercury vapor longest lasting but high cost 10,000-20,000 hrs.
Zoo med splash proof and halogen PAR30 about same life and cost 2500 hrs.
incandescent well cheapest 700-2000 hrs.

***ALSO found plug-ins last longer than screw-based***

Now cost I found almost the same over 3-4 years : one mercury vapor whereas several of other types. SORRY NO MIRICAL BULB !

Today only say shop around be careful reading. Different parts of country has very different prices. Internet shopping helps ! That is until technology gets better.
Anyone found out any thing more or less please let me / us know.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:39 am   Re: No Miracle Bulb Found...

Are these lamps strictly for uva/basking? I used to have good luck with GE halogens, but they aren't the same quality anymore and the prices have jumped. I'll probably stick to Philips halogens until I can switch to a MVB (Mega-Ray), and those need to be replaced after a certain time even if they still produce light.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:38 am   Re: No Miracle Bulb Found...

YES , sorry that's what happens when I assuming , there are a lot of new people to the forum.
In my area those GE's almost impossible to find and like you the cost , I said the hell with them for now.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:35 pm   Re: No Miracle Bulb Found...

Did you use a UVB bulb with your setup?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:53 pm   Re: No Miracle Bulb Found...

UVB for my turtles setup , always ! In this non-scientific test on life of a uva well that's enough. UVB meter needed for that and haven't seem what I think is a good one . Some start at $200 and seem to be toys. I'll just have to trust the market's info on UVB's. Have enough projects now a days...

What type mega ray you think Kansas uses? The UVA/UVB/IR or the UVA/UVB? The prices on them to me are backwards...
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:37 am   Re: No Miracle Bulb Found...

This thread is a little long, but might provide some insight: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37422

I think the most common one would be the Mega-Ray 100 Watt Self-Ballasted Flood UVB Lamp.

They also usually have a 10 or 20% off coupon on their site/social media page.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:57 pm   Re: No Miracle Bulb Found...

My dad was a photographer never used MV bulbs always produced a bluish green tint due to the mercury's combination of spectral lines. Not flattering to skin. Most all mega ray print states : UVB/UVA/Heat for your basking reptiles. That thread confusing/ misleading...Not Stand Alone // Not Basking Bulb // Supplemental Light. Sounds like a (........) company. That isn't the way its marketed ! Market one thing and tell you latter what it really is. They only give info on the spec's of UVB , nothing else. Yes best in UVB , decays slower and over a longer time BUT cost??? Others only produce 10% , 20% of UVB ,etc... The way Kansas was handled Not sure about company? Box and print info says one thing and Tec's / owner say other.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:09 am   Re: No Miracle Bulb Found...

I think the information was all over the place, maybe they were caught in their own marketing lingo? It's hard to find a good MVB and this seems to be the best one of its kind.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion