Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New here

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:46 am   New here

Hey Guys,

My name is Travis. I am new here and live in Orange County California. I looked but was unsure where to post.

Long story short, my fiancé and I found a slider trying to cross a busy intersection near our home. We couldn't bear to let him hit by a car so we brought him home. This is tempary as we do not have time for pets with our jobs and varying schedules. We could
Like to give him to a good home free of charge. If anyone local to me can assist with this it would be greatly appreciated. Please email
Me at twbouska@gmail.com and I can forward my cell number.
S00TLYFE

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:14 am   Re: New here

Hi Travis, any nearby ponds/lakes that he might have come from? If he's healthy, you can release him back there. If you're unsure, hit up California Turtle & Tortoise Club -- https://www.tortoise.org/

They're a huge group, so you can find a member close by. Good luck, and post some farewell pics!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:19 am   Re: New here

Appreciate the quick reply! When I was in high school I found what ended up being a desert tortoise that was likely a pet as I live in Anaheim near Disneyland, too heavily populated for that to be a natural habitat for one, I took it to a place called casa de tortuga that had hundreds of tortoise and turtles, but I was sad to learn that it had been since closed. There are no ponds in this area, not for at least 10 miles and I don't think he could have moved around so far without getting hit my a car. He's also a huge begger leading me to believe he was a pet. Appears to be healthy but has begun leeleing within the last week.

His tank is too small but I was able to borrow a uv and basking light, water heater, and small filter from a friend who has two, but this stuff is designed for babies and he is about 6" long currently maybe a little more. So far have had two people contact me about adoption but I'd like to make sure they are "turtle people" not someone who thinks they want a pet and then ends up just letting him go in their neighborhood to get hit by a car.
S00TLYFE

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:20 am   Re: New here

Ps I will check the tortoise website you suggested thank you very much!
S00TLYFE

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:05 pm   Re: New here

Sounds like she/he's off to a better start than most captive RES. How big is the turtle? I initially assumed it was a hatchling, are you certain it's a male?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.