Other Turtle Discussion :: Turtle Too Old to learn???

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:58 pm   Turtle Too Old to learn???

I heard that people can train their turtles to come when they hear their names and play. I want to do this with sheldon but i'm worried that he's too old :(
He will be turning 1 year old this month.
When I take him out of his tank he's still scared of me.
Nerdycatgamer

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:17 pm   Re: Turtle Too Old to learn???

People do call a name , it's time to eat. Most turtles relate this to the FOOD. That's not being trained. Age to me has nothing to do with it. It's the relationship you have together. Just got Piggley , he's over three. It was very fast for us but like a three year old child. Attention span is short! So I keep play time short and change things up. Last week he loved spinning around. This week it's being pushed as if on a skimboard. Next week who knows? Little Joe took forever , I moved a chair next to his home put my hand in the tank while I watched the news. A week later he would come by and I never moved my hand. Build a trust! We had years of fun until Hurricane Katrina took him. What kind you have? Some are more skittish than others and some NEVER warm up to people. Don't change his tank up a lot , let him get comfortable and be observant. Use how he act's and make games out of that. He's not like a dog and get the newspaper. Piggley likes TV , have it on all the time for him. When I get his towel out he knows time to sit in my lap and watch a movie. Like a child he falls asleep. Play time is different for all turtles , find what works for you two. Not all turtles play ball.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:34 pm   Re: Turtle Too Old to learn???

what should I try first? I want to know what my turtle likes to do but I don't know where to start.
Also, Can you take turtles for walks? I see people do this with lizards and it's really cute
Nerdycatgamer

Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:17 pm   Re: Turtle Too Old to learn???

This is why I keep Piggley in my front room. My chair is less than one foot away from him or any turtle I had. We watch the news together. If not spent time watching him. Yes I talk to Piggley he now knows my voice and meets me at his regular spot even if he don't see me yet. Be observant , if he likes to climb build him something to climb on but safe. After time put a hoop on top of it and he will go through the hoop. Will not happen over night , it takes your time . When you feed him make him chase after your hand with the food. Build a trust ! It really depends on you and what if any time you want to share with him. They are great pets / young children with short attention spands.
This is another reason I use horse tubs , low to ground , sit in my chair with hand in tank to build a trust. Even if he comes by I don't move. In time I just push him around with my finger a little. Now we play a game spinning him ! Three or four times then stop. He always want's more. When he has enough I stop , not forcing him. In time he will get comfortable with you. What to try first , how observant are you , does he swim clockwise all the time or say Mondays he go's counterclockwise then climbs a little. Does he like any current or the slow water. How does he explore his tank. What he does when first wakes up. Find something he does and make it into a game. How much time you give him will determine your relationship. Piggley wakes up swims to his first dock climbs up looks around jumps off swims to his second dock get on it jumps off doing this two / three times then he knows it's time to eat. We made it a game really for exercise for him. It comes down to you and time , it will be worth it !

Walks , I never but in my yard yes. I do not use pesticide's ground is SAFE. Can you say what your neighbor put on his ground or even you. Be safe for your turtles sake ! Oh, you have no idea how fast a turtle is , so watch carefully if you do !
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:19 pm   Re: Turtle Too Old to learn???

thank you. I won't take him in my yard because i'm not sure if it's safe or not but i'll keep my hand in the tank sometimes. I'll have to be careful because he likes to bite my fingers :shock:
Nerdycatgamer

Post Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:20 pm   Re: Turtle Too Old to learn???

Most turtles hide and or bite at one point. When a trust is built it's all good. Feeding time play time all good in time. Piggley I think can make a game out of anything. Doing lite maintenance say just scooping up a few things I think he wants to help. All the time he's right there using his legs pushing things into the net or just curious. ( hey you missed this) So I give him back starches with the net and he loves it. Time well spent.
litefoot

Return to Other Turtle Discussion