General Care Discussion :: Quick Shell/Basking Question

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:22 am   Quick Shell/Basking Question

Can someone please tell me if my RES' shell looks normal? This is my first one and he RARELY basks and I am worried about his shell. When I take him out and dry him off his shell looks like this(see picture) is that normal?
Attachments
17373144_10100797502266193_847331680_o.jpg
Sangposht

Post Posted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:14 pm   Re: Quick Shell/Basking Question

Looks like overfeeding. The shell is rough, but should smooth out after shedding with a correct diet and some more basking. Do you have a UVB lamp for them?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:46 pm   Re: Quick Shell/Basking Question

Hi Steve(and anyone else with input), Thanks.
So I moved him to a quieter area and he does seem to be basking a lot more, but the whit espots are still there when he's dry. Also, the edges of his shell are flaking off, is this okay? I have been using a 50watt halogen spot light on dim setting but I did just get a UVB reptolamp, is this better?

His diet consist mainly of Reptomin(6 pellets a day) and kale about twice a week and freeze dreid shrimp once a week or so. Is this okay? Is there anything you suggest to improve his shell?

Thank you
Sangposht

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:52 pm   Re: Quick Shell/Basking Question

Could be calcium/mineral deposits from hard water. When the turtle is out of the tank and dry, try rubbing a little white vinegar against the white areas to see if it helps. Does the plastron have anything similar?

What do you mean by flaking? Halogens are fine to use, but I would prefer a flood-style bulb so he can choose how warm he wants to get. I would not use kale or shrimp. Red leaf/Green leaf/Romaine would be better. Also try cucumber and carrots/ Some people also like to add some cuttlebone too.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:09 am   Re: Quick Shell/Basking Question

Thanks!
I will try the white vinegar. Nothing on the plastron, so hopefully that is a good sign.
By flaking I mean that sometimes the edges of his shell flake off and are left on the platform, the look like a small thumb nail folded in half(from what I can tell online, i think it is the marginals around the edge of the carapace). I havent seen one for a couple days but i'll try to get a picture next time. Is that not normal?

I switched him to romaine but he has not touched the cucumber i left in the veggie clip. He also doesn't seem to be enticed by the cuttlebone at all.

I set up the uvb lamp in addition to the dimmed halogen, the reptisun bulb doesnt seem to give of much warmth so I wanted to make sure that he had that option as well as the UVB. Do you think that's too much?
Sorry for all the questions, I have no idea what I'm doing but I just want to make sure little Sabz is healthy and happy
Sangposht

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:44 am   Re: Quick Shell/Basking Question

Fluorescent UVB's don't give off enough heat for basking. The marginals are sometimes the last to shed. Sounds like you're making the right corrections :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:28 pm   Re: Quick Shell/Basking Question

Hi I'm from India ,i have got two res.one res has black dots on the shell and always basking not like other res is it sick
Attachments
130413232873654955.jpg
Last edited by Tatakiran on Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tatakiran

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:09 am   Re: Quick Shell/Basking Question

Can you post pictures of the black dots?
steve
Site Admin

Return to General Care Discussion