Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New Here, already lost 3 RES...

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:16 pm   New Here, already lost 3 RES...

Hi All,

Just a few weeks ago, a friend and I decided to get pet turtles. Initially, we bought 2 from a small local pet shop and placed them on a temporary plastic container. They look ok on the first day but the first one died then the second one the following day. This is the first time I am personally caring for a turtle and I know we are missing things which may have caused their deaths.

We bought another one, this time a little larger than the first two. Placed him on a larger plastic container with the recommended water level based on this shell. We also created a temporary basking area but we are unable to set up a basking light yet. He looks ok for 4 days and then suddenly moved slowly and just floats in the water. Yesterday, he died. :(

As a novice in this regard, I would like to get some of the best practices and recommendations so I decided to join this community. I am planning to give it another shot, but I want to make sure I get everything ready first.

Cheers!
SoloRazr

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:11 pm   Re: New Here, already lost 3 RES...

Welcome to the forum, Glad you're still willing to get into this after whats happened. The source of these turtles is probably the cause of their premature deaths. I would suggest you consider just one since they are fine alone. If you pick a male (you should be able to tell when they are close to 4 inches in length), you can save a bit of money and space since they do not grow as large as females.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:03 am   Re: New Here, already lost 3 RES...

Thanks so much, Steve.

Yes, we may need to try with one and hopefully we get it right this time. :D
SoloRazr

Post Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:12 am   Re: New Here, already lost 3 RES...

When do you think you will try again?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:34 am   Re: New Here, already lost 3 RES...

Got a couple from a local aquatic center. One Male and one female according to the store staff. We setup basking light with 10% UVB and a small oxygen pump. I think we will need to get a filter soon. :)
SoloRazr

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.