Equipment Review and Discussion :: FX6 up and running !

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:48 pm   FX6 up and running !

Only running for two hours , so far so good. Took only 20 minutes to setup. Going with my media plan #1 and will adjust down the road as needed. I started with crystal clear water but I feel this may get me to that next level. Had a DIY 5 gallon bio filter worked great ! An pondmaster in tank , repurposed from my in ground pond , worked for years very well in a 150 gallon Rubbermaid horse tub. Also that dam UV sterilizer I just got. The FX has the same footprint as my bio filter so all good for that. Other two items out the tank , more room for the kids. What I had was a 450 gph flow rate so no real big change in that area. Fx , with media 563 gph. All good ! Will do what I wanted , everything in one package. Three things out the setup and only one thing in .

Did not have the patience to Wait for next Black Friday sale if any. By then the MSRP would be ??? Ebay !!! Found New one several days ago no other bidders I won and free shipping. Good for me . Was $259 with free ship or to me say about $235 and ship. In 2017 don't think we will ever see an FX6 under $200 ever again.

Up and running , registered product warranty , sent off for free vac , well $12.42 for shipping. 12.42 yes but I would NOT pay that $50 retail price they want.

Started very clear but overnight should see it get me another notch clearer. First media setup just a start may tweak it later?
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:33 pm   Re: FX6 up and running !

Congrats on the FX! Did you transfer the bio media from the other filter?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:36 am   Re: FX6 up and running !

Most definitely ! Not losing all that good bacteria.

How in the hell it keeps getting air in it ? Maybe by making the impeller/motor so strong that the water is being aggregated creating air bubbles. Like a high speed blender in water. No leaks no sucking air...but were? Think they knew about this problem and added that every 12 hour cut off to try evacuate air ? That's loud ! With tank in living room must find a fix ,will not get use to it. My very old pondmasters were so quiet I could sleep in my lounge chair next to tank. Any ideas? Nice pump but if no fix will go on the breezeway in plant tank !
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:46 am   Re: FX6 up and running !

Already up so lets get into this. Maybe 20 minutes was to fast for install. Checked everything , only have the slightest of a slope in one line , about 1 1/2" . In my years would never be a problem. Readjusted , perfectly horizontal now in that section. No way any trapped air. Sleep time now will let all know in the morning.

Ok this FX6 must be and or is very finicky , was the slightest slope but must have been enough for the FX6. Made the night ,quiet now , morning still ok. Problem gone now ! Even when it purges no big air burps. Just a very few small bubbles and quiet doing it. All Great now ! Will be happy now ! All would be ok if I fall to sleep in my lounge chair next to the tank.

Going from external filter , in tank filter and UV sterilizer to one unit now will make it easier years down the road.

Now to see if my media setup plan #1 is good or if I need to tweak it. It's really just a basic canister setup most of us use.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:29 am   Re: FX6 up and running !

Repeated something I always done even for the FX6. This works for Me (not for all) in a large tank. Some will not like it , some say I'm wrong but its my opinion and works for me. Took off the two directional diffuser. Inside it tappers down a little with those two narrow outlets. Makes it seem like more pressure ? Me , I removed it to open pipe straight down. This removes any back pressure in the line ,less pressure on the pump/impeller. Maybe this is why I can have a pump/impeller last past it lifespan? Also I seen only one impeller crack in my time , that was in the beginning (luck ? / defective). I make underwater seawalls and use brick's or large rocks to direct the flow. I can create eddies , upwelling effects and control water directional flow where I want. I give enough room between each for my friends to swim in-between. Sure one could do this in smaller tank on a smaller scale. My kids love it , hide in some to catch feeders , play hide and seek together and just to hunt around. Keeps them busy. Times I change it up when they get use to it and times they change it up to more what they like (turtles) . My kids are happy and always alert to what my pass them in my maze. Tried outlet above water line ( 1,2,3"above) and under the surface both works for Me. I prefer 1" below water line best. Also when the FX6 purges quieter to me. Less restriction on air coming out? Again , this is just Me , for Me but if someone try's it get creative and see any results. May be a new idea for some?

This FX6 is great , everything in one housing wish I didn't wait so long.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:36 am   Re: FX6 up and running !

I think "micro bubbles" is a common issue with the FX filters. I think you have a couple of interesting solutions, I'm very curious to see if it'll work out for others. My FX6 is still in the box for now, so I can't just try it yet.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:00 pm   Re: FX6 up and running !

Yep it's loud when it purges. But what a filter it is.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:44 am   Re: FX6 up and running !

Yes micro bubbles in my rush I forgot something , second look , I forgot to grease o rings. Not just the tops , remove o rings , coated all sides ! To me anything to help keep out air is a plus. Took my Danco waterproof grease ALL o rings greased ! With the power that FX6 runs every little thing helps with that air . I have heard some in the past say no grease , breaks down rubber. Yes if you use the wrong kind (petroleum base), this Danco is made by plumbers for rubber gaskets. Always worked for me!

Addition from other post. If some like to try just holding the outlet side in hand with AND without diffuser on you will see :

2" above water line with diffuser / very rough surface /very strong flow

1" above water line with diffuser a difference

At water line with diffuser even more difference

NOW NO DIFFUSER

Say 1" above the water line you will see the most micro bubbles

Now 1" below water line NO bubbles big or micro size !!

Take your time and play with the outlets placement // you can get the effect that YOU Personally want.
Any time water/ air hits the surface tension of the tanks water it will cause a disturbance. ( bubbles large and micro ) But you can control that affect by placement. Experiment have fun .
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:35 pm   Re: FX6 up and running !

you definitely want to use a silicone grease for the rubber seals. petroleum products will expand and break down the rubber. my fx5 has air problems along with some other worn parts. Looking at the prices for replacement parts, I might spend just a little more and buy a new FX6.
-Chris
papoopeepoo

Post Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:24 pm   Re: FX6 up and running !

Parts for the fx are expensive. I have 2 running and have never greased the o rings. Most hardware or big box stores carry o-rings that fit the fx for cheap.The only one I have not found is the large one in the lid.
1 Male Mississippi Map/Mississippi
1 Female RES/Slidy.
1 DBT White Concentric Female/ Lucky
1 DBT Male/ Spots
(Housed in the same tank)

300 gallon indoor stock tank, FX6 & FX5 filters. Mega-Ray 100w UVB bulb.
Kansasslider

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion