Other Turtle Discussion :: Found turtle question

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:46 pm   Found turtle question

Today I found another red slider outside the fence where I keep my 3 10 year olds. It is the same size as mine. I live in Northeast Texas and normally see box turtles but not red sliders on our property. 2 years ago one of mine got out during a flooding rain storm. Six weeks later I found her laying eggs on my running trail and returned her to the others. She had a chunk out of her shell and had leeches on her, which we don't have on our property. It is possible that the turtle I found was not the one I'd lost, and that this one is. It is also possible that neither is the one I lost. BUT I DON'T KNOW! I don't know if I should keep this one and add it to the turtles I have, watching to make sure they get along, or turn it loose. We have a creek along the back of our property, but I never see turtles back there, so I'm worried about predators. Suggestions?
ksc

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:31 am   Re: Found turtle question

I would be certain to carefully recheck that creek. Do you have any pictures of your RES? You can check skin/shell patterns. What kind of setup do you have for your turtles?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:56 am   Re: Found turtle question

I've spent a lot of time at the creek over the past 4 decades, and never seen one. That's not to say there aren't any there for sure, but I've never seen one or evidence of one there. Just box turtles up in the dryer areas. There are a couple of ponds on nearby properties, but they are a fair distance from us. We are deep in the country and have lots of predators. I'm sure I have a photo of my original 3, so I'll see about comparing them. This one looks more like the one I had than the first one I found, though! I have an enclosure (about 15' x 12') with a solid pond liner buried in the ground so they can get in and out. I've planted kale and other plants they can eat, and they have places to hide if they feel the need. I've tried different set-ups, including a 1,000 gallon intex pool with a homemade "island." It was impossible to keep clean enough for them and didn't have dirt for egg-laying. This pond liner is 160 gallons. I might add another one and enlarge the area if this works out. It's been 10 years of researching and trying to make the best environment possible for them. I put them together yesterday and checked periodically. No aggression so far, though I'll keep a close eye on them. They pretty much ignored each other.
ksc

Post Posted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:21 am   Re: Found turtle question

What are the other turtle genders?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:32 am   Re: Found turtle question

I believe there are 2 females and 1 male, though I'm not 100% sure. Not sure what this new one is either. I have had trouble looking closely enough to know for sure. I know I need to do that. I still have them together, and they are all getting along quite well.
ksc

Post Posted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:08 am   Re: Found turtle question

Females are more likely to stray/get lost from their homes when they are searching for a nest. So I'd check gender and feel for any eggs. But since this has happened before makes me very curious as to where they came from. Either they are being released in your area or that creek is able to support them.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:53 am   Re: Found turtle question

It's a mystery to me. I'll check gender and compare shell patterns from my old photos. The new one is quite social with me, and acts like she/he has been with the others all along. Are wild ones normally comfortable with people?
ksc

Post Posted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:29 pm   Re: Found turtle question

Sounds like someone keeps them when young and cute then release's them when they big and ugly to them? To me they are handsome at that stage ! Be very observant , turtles get along for years , then the unspeakable happens you find one dead with leg missing. Thought I was observant and been doing this for decades but that happen to me earlier this year. You just never know when , I'll tell you it hurts still to this day! That wild instinct kicks in , territorial feeling , what every and you have to separate. I just never saw any signs (maybe didn't want to see any signs) and hope no one else has to experience that!
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:09 pm   Re: Found turtle question

That would be horrible! It always hurts to think you are doing everything you can and an animal gets hurt anyway.
ksc

Return to Other Turtle Discussion