Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New turtle here

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:07 pm   New turtle here

Hey everyone, nice to meet you!

SO I happened to be walking around a flee market the other day looking for something completely different - when I came across some guy selling res hatchlings for $10 in a plastic tank with substrate and a little baggy of food. I figured; WHAT THE HECK the kids will get a kick out of this - and I had a Ball Python for almost 10 years before so I figure a reptile isn't a big deal.

A couple days later and the turtle was still alive and eating and so I had my 4-year old pick out a name - LEONARDO from TMNT no doubt. Then this morning my wife said the turtle didn't eat, so I went to take a look and actually do a little research on this fellow. First search I find turtles are aquatic and need UVA/UVB light at about 75~80F + a bask spot - so I put the poor little fellow in his 2 liter tank half full of warmed bottled water in outside in a 50% shaded area for a couple hours to soak up the sun while I set off for real equipment at the local PetSmart.

What I came home with was a 40-gallon aquatic turtle starter kit here: http://www.petsmart.com/reptile/supplie ... 27182.html

Leo is absolutely tiny in this monster tank, but the petstore guy told me in about a year the tank will be right and in a couple I would have to upgrade.

So, the tank is pretty basic - No flat screen TVs or master bedrooms; just a sunroom platform and a plastic bush to get lost in

OH and theres another turtle in the pool. We named it Chalky.

What else can I put in this tank to make it look more lake-like?
Last edited by Zeroclient on Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zeroclient

Post Posted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:49 am   Re: New turtle here

Hello and welcome to the forum. First with a 4 years old in house , proper hygiene is a must with a turtle! Turtles under 4" have been banned in the US since 1975 do to the fact they carry salmonella. Lots of pets carry salmonella even dogs. Hygiene a must! Children have that habit to put things into there mouth , hands and ... I suggest that you read under all the topics the sticky's above the post , will help. Also read the comments and recommendations that go with them. There's a lot of homework to do for aquatic turtles . I had snakes , aquatic turtles are another world and will be a big deal for some. They are not cheap to raise to adulthood. They live when healthy over 50 years so this could be a long term commitment. Hold off buying anything else today. Whats sold in those (?) turtles kits are ... and very overpriced. It cost enough to have a healthy turtle. Sorry homework time ! In time these are some questions we will be asking just to give you an idea on what's needed , only the basics: viewtopic.php?t=2142
Good luck and we will be here to help.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:08 am   Re: New turtle here

Welcome to the forum! If still possible, I would return that kit as they are not good values. Also be very careful if placing him in a container (with or without water) outside. It does not take much for the sun to make it very hot.

Where did Chalky come from? Is he one of those little white turtle-shaped blocks that dissolve in water?

As for what else to do, what about some sand substrate? Does he have a submersible heater?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:24 am   Re: New turtle here

CHALKY is one of those dissolving turtles.

I think I got a good deal on the turtle kit. It was on sale and then I had another coupon for it; so it was about 40% off total. To me not so much about the money.

I do not have any sand substrate. I did buy a submersible heater. Also I just bought a couple of small guppies for the kids and for turtle food. Leo loves to bask.
Zeroclient

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:37 am   Re: New turtle here

The grandkids watch "The Adventures of Piggley Winks" and told me the turtle acts just like him always getting into something and eats the same way so it's : Piggley !
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:48 am   Re: New turtle here

I'm trying to attach photos but the 512KB limit is stopping me
Zeroclient

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:39 am   Re: New turtle here

A regular camera gives around 3264x1836 pixels to big to use or email . ( limited in size)
( right click on the photo) you will see edit / resize on the list , click on that .
New window now , find resize and click on.
Box comes up : you will see do by percentage or pixels. Myself I like doing by PIXELS If you use that way original size comes up say that 3264 in top box (horizontal) and change that number to 640 and the box below it will change automatically to adjust to (360) hit OK and then save. CPU will save your original and the resized . Resized will be marked as the number and (2)
Only four clicks and all done.

640x360 works for almost any email and still good picture. Or if you use the percentage option get it down to equal that 640x360 photo.
There are many ways to do it by third party services.
I rather do it myself on my private CPU! After you do it a few times it will be second nature to you.
If using picture to email make sure to use the resized one marked (2) and not the original one that's to big. Both will have same number just the resized one will add the (2) at the end of original number.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:54 pm   Re: New turtle here

IMG_3141.JPG
Pics

IMG_3142.JPG
Zeroclient

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:24 pm   Re: New turtle here

See you are a photo editor now ! Leonardo's cute so's Chalky.
Don't see a heater in the water is there?
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:09 pm   Re: New turtle here

Yes there is one. Bottom 2/3 to the right. Kinda looks like a green submarine. It's got a preset thermostat for 78F.

The guppies are starting to disappear not sure why. Also my daughter really wanted a snail so I figure since it was just $1.99 what the heck. Pet store called it a magic snail. It's probably going to be turtle food. I caught the snail sleeping near Leo so will see
Zeroclient

Post Posted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:15 pm   Re: New turtle here

Ha ha ! That's where the guppies went !
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:28 pm   Re: New turtle here

Looks very nice! There are a couple of different white turtles, we generally avoid the ones that are water conditioner or contain any (sulfa) medication. Those bars on the bottom par of those Zoo Med docks have caused some drownings, so be careful with that. RES love to explore and hide, so sometimes they squeeze into nearly impossible places. You can also add more water, Leo is a great swimmer.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.