Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: New Turtle Owner!! And Terrified!!!

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:44 pm   New Turtle Owner!! And Terrified!!!

Hello Everyone!
My name is Cody Anne and I am going to be a new turtle owner as of Friday.
I am terrified and excited all in one! He is a rescue turtle and this is my first time.
He is a 12 year old male, 4 1/2" long and absolutely beautiful!
I have gathered up everything that I THINK I need...but I am doubting myself now. Can anyone please help me?
I have a 55 gallon tank for him, a really great filter (the lady at the rescue site sold it to me), light system (UVB and Basking), food, treats, basking rock.....
What am I forgetting? What else do I need for him?
Please help :)
Cody
Attachments
IMG_2347.JPG
Meeting "Buddy" (temp name) for the first time!
cahillier5

Post Posted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:14 pm   Re: New Turtle Owner!! And Terrified!!!

Hello , great rescue ! Handsome guy.
Off the top a water heater and good thermometer. I like the (IR) infrared thermometer's very accurate works on the water , basking area ,everywhere , even when you are cooking.
Here's a good read for the basic's: http://www.redearslider.com/startup.html

Also above all categories here are informational sticky's with good help. Having an older guy will be easier than a baby ... turtles are hardy. All those feeling's will be paid off with extra love from this rescue. Turtles are smart , what personality , keep him happy and healthy and he will return it with love. Homework time and all will be good.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:33 am   Re: New Turtle Owner!! And Terrified!!!

That is a great list, litefoot! Thank you. I feel like I am pretty much prepared, materials wise (minus the heater, which I will pick up today)
Ok, so, I am bringing him home on Friday with the tank. I will be getting the tank and everything set up while he is waiting (I know this situation isn't ideal, but it is the best I can do due to location)
I am going to use warm water from the tap (so that the temp is right without the heater) and the conditioner. He will be good to hop right in once it is set up? And should I feed him right away? Just regular food? Treats?
I'm really sorry for the peppering of questions, I just want to do right by this little guy.
Cody
cahillier5

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:25 pm   Re: New Turtle Owner!! And Terrified!!!

Cody stop ! Using the hot water faucet to make the water warm is NOT Good ! That water goes into the hot water heater , you have fittings , electrodes and things happen there when its heated up , even with gas heaters. Will not hurt a human's but a small turtle it can. Have an ice chest , large containers to fill and let the water sit today and get to room temperature. Or tomorrow use the garden hose just let it run a good while to flush it out well. Hose's today are much safer , lite polyurethane and lead free , drinking water safe ! If very old hose let it run to flush it out. Ever drink from a hose taste like vinyl , use that time to water any plants you have. Hope you will use carbon in the filter that will take care of a few things. Let filter run over night in tank , get to at least room temp and put him in Saturday morning. If you had a filter like a FX6 you could just run it for two/three hours then put him in right away.
You don't want spikes , add warm water ,cools down , add , cools... rather have consistent room temp until you get a heater.
Offer him small amount of food but may be little stressed to eat. Expect him to hide a lot when in tank makes them feel safer until he adjust. Time's I tell people if totally bare in tank no comfortable hiding area place cardboard or a towel around two or three sides until he calms down. Make him feel safe.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:21 pm   Re: New Turtle Owner!! And Terrified!!!

What's to room temperature? Sometimes when I need to bump up the water temps I'll heat up some water and pour it in the tank (not right after boiling, and in the center of a filled up tank. Older RES are also a bit more tolerant of colder temps.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:42 pm   Re: New Turtle Owner!! And Terrified!!!

I'm stopping!!! I will fill some containers tonight and let it rest overnight. I will have the carbon filter going right away so that he will be able to go in tomorrow night (I do have a high powered canister filter Eheim 300 Ecco Pro......Is that acceptable?) I will have the heater in the water tonight too so that it is all acceptable heat for him. Do you think that will be okay?
cahillier5

Post Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:16 pm   Re: New Turtle Owner!! And Terrified!!!

All OK ! Since you have no heater for tank now that's why I said to let water sit over night to room temperature so not to have cold tap water going in tank then your turtle. I am old school we never used hot water out the hot water tap. A hot water heater in home can leach unwanted chemicals. As Steve was saying cold water in a pot on stove ,heat it up and that is safe.
Also letting it sit overnight the chlorine will evaporate out BUT you still have chloramine ( most city's use it) in water , that's where the carbon comes into play.
Filter is rated for 80 gallons , if you put half water in the tank so he can't escape it will be ok for now. Normally you want at least 2-3x's filtering for a turtle , they are messy! Most all filters are rated for fish gallons not turtle gallons. So if ever build "ATBA" and fill that 55 gallon full you would need a filter rated for 110-165 gallons.
Glad you are getting a water heater for his tank.
All sounds good and you will ready for your new friend/child , congratulations you are a Mom !
litefoot

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.