Habitat - Indoor :: Indoor Tank Location-Natural Light?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:19 pm   Indoor Tank Location-Natural Light?

Hello! I plan on moving Shelldon to my current location eventually. During the planning stage, I am trying to decide on a location in the apartment for the tank. There is a room that would be ideal, as it is low traffic and dark at night. However, there is a window in the room. The window itself is closed, and blinds cover most of it, so there is no way that direct sunlight can get through. However, natural light does get in, creating "Bands" of brighter areas during the daytime, even though it is not sunlight per say. Do you think this would pose a problem? Shelldon's last location had some nice dark curtains to block out the natural light, but colored curtains are not allowed at this location.
Gerstein

Post Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:43 pm   Re: Indoor Tank Location-Natural Light?

Not being direct full light I say OK. Watch temp in tank for wild swings and any excess algae growth. You could add a cheap shade to window to help : https://www.google.com/shopping/product ... oC3hvw_wcB
Or a room darkening type roller shade for a little more money.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:16 am   Re: Indoor Tank Location-Natural Light?

Sounds OK to me too. Why are colored curtains not allowed? What about window film?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:24 pm   Re: Indoor Tank Location-Natural Light?

Sorry for it being a long time between posts. I found a way to get colored curtains in, so now when Shelldon moves in, the room will be nice and dark, with only Shelldon's Heat Lamp and UVB lamp serving as her light sources!

Thank you,
David G.
Gerstein

Post Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:10 pm   Re: Indoor Tank Location-Natural Light?

Hurrah on the color's ! Ever find out why?
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:53 pm   Re: Indoor Tank Location-Natural Light?

It was an aesthetic thing. Basically I can hang the curtains as long as I keep the blinds closed. The rule is that the outside of the window needs to show only white for some reason. The blinds would always be down anyway so I was allowed to hang the special light blocking curtain
Gerstein

Post Posted: Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:06 am   Re: Indoor Tank Location-Natural Light?

Wow, they are specific. Glad you found a good solution David.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor