Feeding and Nutrition :: Rice?

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:48 pm   

blackforces get you wrote:well you cant feed rice to birds you have to feed them bird seed. if you do feed them rice, their stomach's swell and explode. trust me no1 wants that

Accually that is a myth :wink:
Animals stomachs work just like us, the acids break down the rice too fast for it too expand and explode. Pretty much all dry food we eat expands when wet. Yet we haven't exploded yet :)
My favorite things in the world:
1 res, 3 cats, 3 bunnies, 1 dog, 2 african clawed frogs, guppies, pleco, 30+ fancy mice, 2 hermit crabs and 4 small humans
Sassamo

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:50 pm   

In the wild a lot of birds eat rice. While it's not the best food for birds, it is okay to eat.
If that myth really were true think of all the exploded birds we'd see on the streets, it would just be gross.
2 RES: Leo (f) and Ezra (m)
1 Russian Tortoise: Godzilla (m)
megcornell
Retired Mod

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:54 pm   

i see. okay that makes sense. yeah it sounds stupid too ill get it out of my head
pets: 1 res

male: bought around a cold day in march 2008. stubborn yet also helpful
(RIP) Churro: ill miss you... (5 yrs. old)

"be strong, be brave, and livestrong"-my dad
blackforces get you

Post Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:07 am   Re: Rice?

In some countries birds are forbidden to feed. After all, this is a violation of natural selection, the natural course of life.
Caron Dubuque

Post Posted: Mon May 01, 2017 12:34 am   Re: Rice?

I feed table scraps to my RES, and she is 19 years old. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but she's old and happy.
badabara

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:19 am   Re: Rice?

I feed the chickadees up here in Maine. I hope to get titmice.
Last edited by AurelioMadeiros on Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
AurelioMadeiros

Post Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:27 pm   Re: Rice?

Doing this over 50 years haven't seen any reputable company list table scrapes in any type turtle pellet. Please don't say they eat it and like it , hell turtles eat there own POOP ! Turtles hide problems very well , even to a Herp Vet. What nutritional value could it have for a turtle? Ever been to a Vet , any blood work done would love if you would post the numbers ! What's tomorrow a # 1 combo at a hamburger joint ! I would not settle on old and happy . What happen to old , happy and Healthy turtle. One make's an animal "captive" it's only proper to see that it get a nutritious well balanced diet and the correct habitat to be healthy. I could see ONE day a month maybe , some can tuna , a piece of boiled chicken as a treat not "table scraps" ! Lots of human food can cause internal problems in turtles like anything in the Brassica and Chenopodiace groups!
Your girl is 19 did you raise her from a baby , if so great. But 19 is not old for a turtle they can live for 40-50 years and some even more! Please give her that chance.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:57 am   Re: Rice?

litefoot wrote:Doing this over 50 years haven't seen any reputable company list table scrapes in any type turtle pellet. Please don't say they eat it and like it , hell turtles eat there own POOP ! Turtles hide problems very well , even to a Herp Vet. What nutritional value could it have for a turtle? Ever been to a Vet , any blood work done would love if you would post the numbers ! What's tomorrow a # 1 combo at a hamburger joint ! I would not settle on old and happy . What happen to old , happy and Healthy turtle. One make's an animal "captive" it's only proper to see that it get a nutritious well balanced diet and the correct habitat to be healthy. I could see ONE day a month maybe , some can tuna , a piece of boiled chicken as a treat not "table scraps" ! Lots of human food can cause internal problems in turtles like anything in the Brassica and Chenopodiace groups!
Your girl is 19 did you raise her from a baby , if so great. But 19 is not old for a turtle they can live for 40-50 years and some even more! Please give her that chance.

Overall good points... :msgreen:
annasmith

Previous

Return to Feeding and Nutrition