Habitat - Indoor :: 75 Gallon Custom Stand Build (Pic Heavy)

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:02 pm   75 Gallon Custom Stand Build (Pic Heavy)

I had originally posted some pictures of my tank when I first set it up in the Basking Area Pictures section http://www.redearslider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15260&start=1350, but just wanted to share some more details on the build and some updated pictures now that it's been up and running for about a month. I couldn't be happier with how this project turned out! Up until recently, Donatella (3 yo female), has been in my sons room after his father went out and bought her for him and had no intentions of keeping it at his house. Little did I know how much went into caring for a turtle, but quickly I fell in love with her and she has become "my" turtle whether my son knows it or not :wink:. I love having her in our living room now where I can just sit and watch her where as before I just saw her in the morning and evenings to turn on/off her lights and feed her. I know at some point we'll end up needing to do another tank upgrade, but I'm impatient and went with the 75 gallon since she was in dire need of an upgrade from her 40 gallon tall.
About the Tank:
75 Gallon
White Play Sand
Marineland 360 Canister Filter (Will probably ended up replacing with the Fluval FX6 as soon as the funds are available. It kept the 40 gallon crystal clear, but not so much on the 75, but I don't believe its entirely cycled either)
Marineland Maxi-Jet Powerhead 600 (Bought because I didn't feel my return was giving me near enough circulation. Noticed huge improvement in debris clean up after running for just an hour or 2 a day.)
Heater
Lights
5.0 UVB
60 W Heat Lamp
Finnex Planted 24/7+ (I had intended to try a planted tank, but after purchasing a couple cheap plants and putting them in there to see if she would let them survive she ended up eating them instantly so now I just have a very expensive LED grow light with no plants to grow)
Stand
The frame was built from mostly 2x4s. The pieces that rest above the tank were framed by 1x2s. The frame is covered with 1/4in plywood and added trim pieces for the finishing touches. I cannot take credit for the overall design of the stand as I mostly tried to imitate this build http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/1080794-my-75-gal-w-diy-custom-stand-diy-sump-refugium.html with some alterations to the top to accommodate an ATBA.
Attachments
IMG_5719.JPG
IMG_5718.JPG
Not sure why this one posted sideways
IMG_5737.JPG
IMG_5815.JPG
Acrylic basking platform
IMG_5817.JPG
Built in nesting area (I'm not sure if this will work out when it comes time if she lays, but added it just in case for her to get comfortable with)
IMG_5823.JPG
IMG_5824.JPG
Donatella90

Post Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:50 pm   Re: 75 Gallon Custom Stand Build (Pic Heavy)

Thank you for posting this! It's very inspirational. The 75 gallon might be enough (some females don't grow very large), and a 90 gallon is only 3-4" taller, so you might be able to reuse most of the custom stand if you go that route.

The white sand provides a lot of nice contrast in her tank, have you had any problems cleaning it? What kind of heat lamp are you using? Is the height adjustable?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:52 am   Re: 75 Gallon Custom Stand Build (Pic Heavy)

Very Nice !

Never gave her name ? Piggley wants to say Hi . ( Hi ! )
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:00 am   Re: 75 Gallon Custom Stand Build (Pic Heavy)

I've not had many problems cleaning it after adding the powerhead. At first I was having to go in and do cleanup every other day, but after up putting in the powerhead I'll just run it for a couple hours a day to get everything moving back to the intake and it's worked wonderfully. Plus she loves swimming in the current when it's on, it's like one of those endless swimming pools, but for turtles.
The heat lamp is just one of the incandescent bulbs you get at petsmart. I'd accidentally picked up a night bulb, but she doesn't seem to mind. The fixtures unfortunately not adjustable. I had to play with a couple different bulbs before I got the temp right up there since I couldn't just move it up or down.
Donatella90

Post Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:04 am   Re: 75 Gallon Custom Stand Build (Pic Heavy)

Yes, her name is Donatella. My son had named her Donatello until we found out it was a she :)
Donatella90

Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:49 pm   Re: 75 Gallon Custom Stand Build (Pic Heavy)

That stand is incredible!!! Need to buikd something like that for my ball pythons 40 gallon tank lol thats awesome !!
2 RES Males , God and Lucifer
the-turtle-Girl

Post Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:59 am   Re: 75 Gallon Custom Stand Build (Pic Heavy)

I am impressed !
PokePony

Return to Habitat - Indoor