Hi! Introduce yourselves here. :: Hello everyone!

Drop a post to say hi. Please ask care questions in the forums below.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:41 am   Hello everyone!

My sister and I owned a red eared slider from the time I was 3 and she was 5 until about 8 years ago when she moved and took her with. I got a Western painted turtle when I was 9 and 23 years later he is still doing wonderful. He has a custom 75 gallon tank for his home and an outdoor summer pond. Last year I found a 2 inch baby RES sitting on my doorstep (I don't know how I didn't step on him!) In a year he has grown so much and I need to replace the 20 gallon long tank that he's in now because he's outgrowing it. My painted turtle is named Terrence and my RES is named Angus both males and I don't think I'll ever try putting then together. Terrence was beat up by our female RES for the short time they tried sharing space and I don't want to have him go through that again. I'm looking at a Rubbermaid tub or plastic pond for Angus for outside in the summer but Angus is an escape artist he escaped twice from the tank when he was little by climbing out the hole for the filter and I had to put cardboard over it. I was always surprised he didn't get hurt but Terrence is perfectly happy staying in his tank or pond he's never tried getting out. People are always surprised I have turtles and always have tons of questions I didn't think turtles were that uncommon. I'm really excited to be part of this community and I'll try to post pictures of my turtles soon :mrgreen:
Whatsername

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:56 am   Re: Hello everyone!

Welcome to the forum! What happened to the female RES? Does Terrence have something setup for outside? Stock tanks are probably the easiest to deal with and have good depth which would make escapes harder. Looking forward to pics!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:17 am   Re: Hello everyone!

Hello and welcome , sounds like a happy home !

For Rubbermaid stock tanks stay away from LPS or Nurseries , you will pay an arm and a leg that way. Look at tractor supplies , farm supplies , feed shops for some of the better pricing. You just missed a sale at Rubbermaid themselves past May , was 40% off. If you can take your time use a price tracker app and shop around. I got my last two new 150 gallons Rubbermaid stock tanks for $128 ea. and free shipping by common carrier. Take your time if you can , shop around.

One place normally has good prices is ;
https://www.southernstates.com/catalog/ ... ks#Filter=[pagenum=1*Sort=8*ava=0]

They may not always have them in stock but will get it for you.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:38 am   Re: Hello everyone!

She went to a friend of my sister's they had large tanks and a huge pond she was 13 inches and last I heard she was loving the space. Stock tanks, I'll look at those Terrence needs an upgraded pond he's been using a child sand box he pretty much basks the entire time he's out there but I'd like him to have the bigger space and deeper swimming area. What do you use for basking in those? I've tried logs but he gets himself stuck so I end up stacking up rocks which works fine but in something bigger it would need way more rocks. I live in central Texas so finding driftwood is really difficult and I'm always paranoid about using plastics and having stuff leak out in the water. I'm even paranoid about picking up rocks, I've had to do that but I scrub them up, put them in pans of hot water until the water isn't dirty but they still leave dust in the tank. I have to scoop it out with a net, my bucket recently broke for filling the tank and cleaning it so I'm stuck scooping for now.
Whatsername

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:55 am   Re: Hello everyone!

You could use PVC pipe make a rack and hang it on the top rim so not to take up swimming room.

Myself I like real cork and tie it in the area of my basking light's.

That fine dust and Piggley's messy eating habitats this is what I do : https://youtu.be/oVkrumqXt80
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:23 pm   Re: Hello everyone!

Thanks for the site and the video! I'm always looking for ways to improve their care Angus actually was pulling the silicone off of the 20 gallon tank I ended up removing the whole bottom seal thankfully with no leaks because I was afraid he would eat it. He eats a lot I've read you're supposed to feed them every other day, Terrence will eat every few days but Angus wants to eat everyday a few times a day or starts snapping at things in his tank. Image
I hope the link works, that's Angus he swims right up to the camera
Whatsername

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:37 pm   Re: Hello everyone!

Terrence sounds like when Piggley when he was a little smaller. Sure Terrance is not a baby anymore. What size is he ? No matter , put some live plants in tank for him to pick on , if not offer a piece of red lettuce while you at work. Should be on 50-70 veggies now ! Offer him some things to play with or to occupy his time that normally helps with all that snapping at things.

That video I was running low on plants and I have a 70 gallon plant tank outside , normally I have 5#'s of live plants for Piggley in tank at all times but then his name "Piggley" ! Other videos out there show more plants for him to pick on. Never seen a turtle get fat on veggies.

Good read : http://www.redearslider.com/plants.html
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:49 pm   Re: Hello everyone!

I'd like to grow them both plants, I used to get plants at home in Iowa from a local pet store he grew tanks full of plants but here in Texas it's very hard to find anything in my town. Do you have any trusted places for online ordering?
Whatsername

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:04 pm   Re: Hello everyone!

Texas , what about a city park or golf course ponds that's where I get almost all. I just wash well and quarantine them outside first.
If not I have used this company in the past : http://www.aquariumplants.com/Default.asp
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:50 pm   Re: Hello everyone!

The park has a pond full of RES but all I've ever seen is a bunch of tall grass I guess the plants they eat are at the bottom. I haven't checked the college pond they've got RES too. To answer your earlier question Terrence is 5 inches long and 5 wide. Angus I believe is 4 inches and I think will outgrow Terrence soon. Another reason I'm not keen on them sharing space, Terrence let's you pet his nose, his head, chin he's really relaxed but Angus hasn't gotten to that point. He doesn't snap but he opens his mouth at you and really prefers watching you inside his tank.
Whatsername

Post Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:48 pm   Re: Hello everyone!

Piggley and Terrence are the same way and size.

With Angus try while he's in the water to pet his nose and just play with him. The water will help calm him. I can see that mouth open if you try it out the water , some take longer than others , then some just never come around.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:54 pm   Re: Hello everyone!

Thanks for the advice everyone! Here's a picture of Terrence tank setup for the moment, it's 75 gallons it was a custom one someone had built and I don't believe it has all the parts. He really needed more room so it works for now and if I can improve it that's even better. Should i use that hole in the side for a canister filter?
Or would trying to plug it and seal it be better? https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxpVNF ... p=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxpVNF ... p=drivesdk that's Terrence

This is Angus's setup for now

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxpVNF ... p=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxpVNF ... p=drivesdk

It's 20 gallon long which is what Terrence was in but I want to put him in something bigger. My boyfriend and I are are looking for a house which has started a bit of head butting he thinks Angus could go back to the wild and I maintain that there are too many risks (he wouldn't even eat a worm!) All my animals come into my home as my family and I take my responsibilities very seriously. I've seen several large tanks on craigslist, 55/65/120+ and I've been considering a 65+ size for Angus. I've read that for male painted and RES a 55 gallon would do but that more is better for swim room. I want them as comfortable and happy as can be :-)

Sorry for all the questions, I've had turtles a long time but growing up they never had filters it wasn't until I got older and was able to do my own research that I've learned a lot of this.
Whatsername

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:19 pm   Re: Hello everyone!

What hole in the side are you referring to? But yes, I would use a canister filter for both of their tanks. The hang-on-back filters are okay for extra filtration, but not good enough as a main filtration method with turtles. Also while the tanks are 75 gallons and 20 gallons, the water level is very low. Does the water stink? I can't imagine the hang on back filters are adequately keeping the water parameters at safe levels.

Angus going back into the wild is certainly a risk. A wild vs captive animal are very different in behavior. Plus, as you said, he is family.

Have you considered, as mentioned earlier, getting stock tanks for the two? Stock tanks tend to be wider than aquariums, so they provide even more swimming room.

One last thing, is the lighting you are supplying UVB lighting?
rambologic

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:24 pm   Re: Hello everyone!

You could go very big with Rubbermaid stock tank's and cheaper ! Last forever ! Could set it up as an indoor pond , google and click images.

My new wife 3 years ago though she could change the way I am about turtles ... I said bye-bye to her ... turtles been in my life 50 pulse years and are in my will.

Back to the wild "NO" !!!

Hole is not any size you could use , I would use a simple pluge / patch . I used a nut and bolt with rubber washer on both sides and a flat washers both sides held for years. Save it for a quarantine tank or a plant tank. The other tank with slot cut into side , that's a lot of wasted space a turtle could be using. Price track stock tanks , check tractor stores online , horse supplies are cheaper than a pet supply or nursery's .

You may want to adjust your maintenance for better water also what kind of lighting is that ? Hate to say it but work on those filter's "it's upgrade time for sure ? Turtles are getting bigger and a lot more waste , filter is a must !
litefoot

Return to Hi! Introduce yourselves here.