Habitat - Outdoor :: Help! RES Emergency!!! Outdoor issues!

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:08 am   Help! RES Emergency!!! Outdoor issues!

So two years ago I won't two red ears at a carnival they have been in my room in an aquarium ever since. I live in Missouri. They got fed once a day or once every other day. Recently my father has made me out then outside in our backyard pond for summer. They are in a large wire cage half in the water half out with basking rocks also. I feed them once a day. There is nothing in the pond except for minnows and frogs along with tadpoles of course and plants. They have been out there for almost 3 months and seem to be doing great! They love it! However I have ran out of food and they haven't been fed for 5 days but still seem to act fine. Are they possibly eating tadpoles or minnows that swim through the cage or possibly the plant life around them? I am going to town tomorrow to get food. Also can I release them into the pond? Would they be ok? They have done good so far when it's gotten real hot and cooled down and through the thunderstorms! Please I need help very badly!! Plus they are healthy turtles!
Kkjrenee

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:50 am   Re: Help! RES Emergency!!! Outdoor issues!

Hello and welcome Kkjrenee ,

First would you keep this post open and will help. You posted same topic under someone's else issue/topic could you delete that one so not to confuse anything on that other topic , please. Let's not hijack another's post.

It is your family's personal pond ? How big is the pond ? Most important how deep is it for when winter time comes , does it completely freeze ? What kind of plants , weeds in pond ? Are any trees around pond to offer shade or bushes ?

The food they are over two years you can feed them some red lettuce . Yes they may be eating some weeds or minnow's to that's ok. RES's are native in Missouri waters , read here : http://xplor.mdc.mo.gov/sites/default/f ... urtles.pdf

Being captive for two or more years they should make it in the pond if it's deep enough for the winter time. RES's are very hardy and they should adjust. Would your parents let you tweak the pond some if needed to help the turtles ? Can you maybe do some "DIY" projects if needed to help them in the pond. Would you be old enough for that or would Dad have to help.

I assume they were babies two years ago when you got them , what size are they now ? Measure just the shell .
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:22 am   Re: Help! RES Emergency!!! Outdoor issues!

The pond isn't too deep bc I'm 5'11 and I can stand in the middle especially I the winter it gets pretty low, how deep does a pond need to be? And yes there is a ton of trees there and yes it's our personal pond. My turtles were in a small 20 gallon aquarium so the biggest one is about 8 inches while the other maybe 6 yes they were babies when I won them and I'm not sure what type of vegetation there is, there's quite a bit of underwater plants. They seem happy out there I'm just a worried mama!!
Kkjrenee

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:50 am   Re: Help! RES Emergency!!! Outdoor issues!

Pond should be 2.5' - 3' for safety from predators ( neighbors dog's , large birds , raccoons ...) also that deep in winter so bottom don't freeze. How low in winter ... could be a problem ? If 2.5 feet could be ok , if a large enough area. Didn't say how long and wide it is ?

Good on trees for shade , turtles need thermoregulation , sometimes they just want to dry off without overheating.

You had two years and that size. Way overfeeding ! Growing too fast ! Can you post pictures of each , like to see condition of there shells. Can you get one of the pond to , please. The size , how many feet long and wide. Said it gets low in winter , ever dry up ?
Turtles are the best beggars and the older they get the better they get at it. They will beg for food even when not hungry.

Vegetation good , some type water weed can do. That is as long it does not take over the pond from top to bottom. Turtles that size should be on 50-70% veggie's and they will help control any crazy over growth.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:44 pm   Re: Help! RES Emergency!!! Outdoor issues!

Thank you! I will get pics asap!!!!
Kkjrenee

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:47 pm   Re: Help! RES Emergency!!! Outdoor issues!

Oh and I'm sorry I meant centimeters not inches! So they are about 2-3 inches in size biggest one 3-4
Kkjrenee

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:33 pm   Re: Help! RES Emergency!!! Outdoor issues!

With those first measurements you almost gave me a heart attack !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:26 pm   Re: Help! RES Emergency!!! Outdoor issues!

I just got home I'm going out to feed them now I'll get a couple pics along with the pond as well! :)
Kkjrenee

Post Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:58 pm   Re: Help! RES Emergency!!! Outdoor issues!

Here are the photos of my two turtles, the pond, the size of the cage they are in now, and the last photo is showing the cage how it sets in the water one end in the water the other end half out I hope this helps!
Attachments
IMG_1489.JPG
IMG_1488.JPG
IMG_1486.JPG
IMG_1487.JPG
IMG_1484.JPG
Kkjrenee

Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:59 am   Re: Help! RES Emergency!!! Outdoor issues!

Look's nice , was it manmade or natural ? Where does water feed into it , just ground water ? Me I would offer some kind of floating pier in the middle away from the sides at least , have it so it's easy for them to get on. Would make them feel safer than basking on land. Turtles feel more comfortable in water or with water surrounding them. This is to entice them to stay. A "DIY" job , some wood that will float , attach a rope to bottom of pier or dock and anchor to bottom of pond with a rock to hold it in place.
Something like but not this fancy : http://lemonbayconservancy.org/wp-conte ... son-aa.jpg Plan it for two adult turtles , something about three feet. If you need something to help it float how about an old styrofoam ice chest cut the walls and bottom lay them flat under platform see what's needed to help it float then tie together. Ever see at a summer camp those floating piers in a lake or river so kids can rest on and dive off. Something they will be able to climb on. Make it so they will want to stay , little more turtle friendly and it will give you a spot to view them too. Any deer or cattle use the pond , wild predators ... having something in the middle would make them feel safer and more comfortable. If not maybe clear an area so they can bask close to the water , like : http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/97d70ae8af1c4 ... fa5ty1.jpg
Just remember , one day they could leave it to find another pond. Turtles been known to roam a long distance to get to a new home. Any other ponds in the area ? Goggle natural turtle ponds and click on images and see what turtles use for basking site's , the more turtle friendly it is the better chances they will stay.

If it was me I would let them have the pond. Not sure about the cage , if it ever slid all the way into the water they could drown. Also no place to completely dry off and bask properly. Is the pond close to house so you can visit them ? You could offer them a treat when you go. I would not feed them every day and get dependent on you , let them eat naturally on water weed and minnows. You could make a picnic lunch and eat by the pond so you can watch for them and they can see you. If you have a hard winter they may hibernate , this is natural. Once spring comes back they will get more active. One looks a female and can get 12" the other would need a better picture of claws and even if male you could have little one's one day down the road. If so the ponds big enough so they would have there own space . I think they will be happy in it !

Was or is farm land ? Look's like someone gets the Bush Hog out to keep it from going back to the wild. Or is your dad lucky and it's all natural low brush. Reminds me when my dad let me run our 18' bush hog at 12 years old all day. I thought it was fun at 12 , took two days to cut all . We only did it 2 or 3x's a year and I wanted to do it. That is until I got older and found out it was hard work. Haha... Sorry I'm an old retired man , just reminiscing my younger days , they are great memories ! Even the work part enjoy yours , you will be able to look back in 40 years and maybe see your turtle's still there with kids. Yes turtles live some 50 plus years , long time pets !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:04 pm   Re: Help! RES Emergency!!! Outdoor issues!

Thank you so much for your help! The pond was built by us and the only thing I'm worried about is if we can't keep fish alive in the winter because it freezes so you think the turtles will survive? Yes it's only a few feet from our house in our pasture, the only thing that we have out there is my pet donkey and he doesn't drink out o it he has a water tub and yes my dad brush hogs it when it gets too high.when and how often should I feed them? I've read online other places not to release them into the wild bc they won't survive but they may idk. We don't have many wild animals or predators we live on a farm so anything that comes around that tries to kill our stock gets pretty well taken care of by me or my dad haha! The only thing that I have seen in that pond has been a small wild duck but as soon as I walk out there it flew away. Which one do you believe to be the female? One is definitely bigger than the other and from experience and reading I figured that was the one that is a female!
Kkjrenee

Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:58 pm   Re: Help! RES Emergency!!! Outdoor issues!

The minnows in your pond are native to area and should do ok. You could always use a minnow trap at other pond's and stock up on them if get low. As long as pond keeps 2.5' to 3' deep it should not freeze. If we going to have an End of World Freeze like in that movie "The Day After Tomorrow" then I would bring them in. You if worried could get a pond heater to help. Turtles have a built in instinct to hibernate in the wild if too cold and nature has done well a long time. In the beginning you can feed them every day for the first week. Every week following cut back a day so they will hunt and look for food in the pond. It's your call BUT watch there shells for bumps , we call that shell pyramiding , overfeeding. Then you cut back and let them on there own. You turtles should be on 50% veggies by now (juveniles) and in a few months about 70% veggies . They are not babies anymore and will not need all that protein. Piggley only gets protein every other day but veggies every day ! You can sometimes feed them a special treat just to get them to come to you , just not many treats. Say a cricket , pull legs off so it just cut up on the water to attract your turtles. You a farm girl you can do that.
Only way to tell 100% sex for sure is when sexually mature at about 4" . The photo at bottom by pond picture look like a female , other is (?). Nails on that one look small and even , female. You can't always say female's grow faster it may be just getting more of the food. To many factors involved , DNA , diet , habitat conditions ... Males have a couple very long nails and look all lengths not even. Look at Piggley's photo's best I could get on the nails , see below.
Yes it's against law in states to release in wild were RES's are not native. Remember that link I gave you ! RES's are native to Missouri it's there natural habitat / climate range ! Also it's your private pond , on your private property. Turtles in wrong habitat can die being everything is wrong or take over as an invasive spices. Missouri is native ! Turtles have that built in instinct even being captive for awhile and are very hardy and adjust well . They will love all that swimming space ! I would as stated in other post offer some better basking sites for them.
Say one is female and one male in 40 years you may go to pond and watch them with there babies. Your kids to and say these are my pets when I was your age. Pond is large enough for all to have there space. Yes slider's live 50 plus years.
I got my first 410 at 8 years old , I had that same job you have ! Good old days !
Attachments
IMG_20170426_074756260.jpg
IMG_20170210_060015783.jpg
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:35 pm   Re: Help! RES Emergency!!! Outdoor issues!

That's great! Thank you so much for the help!!!!
Kkjrenee

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:05 am   Re: Help! RES Emergency!!! Outdoor issues!

No thank you for wanting a good home for your friends. Have names for them ? Turtles can learn there names so may want to have unisex names for them just in case. Don't want to confuse them . Haha !

Don't be a stranger , keep us posted with photo's and all the enjoyment they bring you. They will offer you decades of happiness.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:46 pm   Re: Help! RES Emergency!!! Outdoor issues!

They are named Tina and Titan :(
Kkjrenee

Next

Return to Habitat - Outdoor