Feeding and Nutrition :: Shrimp breeding time!

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:46 pm   Re: Shrimp breeding time!

1 dollar seems pretty good for cherries. Someone here breeds of them locally which is nice but they're a dollar fifty each. I tried using some media from my turtle tank too, but idk if the temperature was too low at first or something, because it did not instant cycle at all. This tank has been surprisingly uncooperative.

Have you fed your turts shrimp before? Sedge has always been much better and more interested in catching shrimp then fish. I think part of it might be that he can get really close to them before they jump away.
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:08 am   Re: Shrimp breeding time!

Yup I've tried, and they did chase them at first but the shrimp would get away quickly and the turtles would lose them. I'm sure as my turtles get a little older, they'll start to hunt more, as they'll be able to catch the slower shrimp and fish. It was funny, just this morning I fed my fish and turtles. One of my turtles waited for a fish to get out of the way so he could snatch up some food. I thought for sure he was going to take a bit out of the fish.
rambologic

Post Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:33 am   Re: Shrimp breeding time!

Ok back to the correct thread :wink:

I have a lava rock in there now and I changed out the Biomax with new Biomax from the turtle filter a few days ago. So it finally seems like it's behaving like an actual cycled tank!

But now I dont know exactly what to do: I can get shrimp and leave the bag of Biomax in there for a few weeks? I don't know how well it will do once I take the bio max out if the Lava Rock and mini filter are enough.

The water lettuce is not doing well- it has been slowly disintegrating. But the other plants are still fine.
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:09 am   Re: Shrimp breeding time!

I finally got my red shrimp! I put in ten plus a few babies a few days ago. A couple have died, but most seem to be doing well so hopefully they will breed!
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:08 am   Re: Shrimp breeding time!

Aaand just like that I'm giving up. This isn't gonna work and I'm tired of just torturing shrimp. Oh well, guess Sedge isn't going to get shrimp very often...
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:14 pm   Re: Shrimp breeding time!

Oh no! What happened?
rambologic

Post Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:50 pm   Re: Shrimp breeding time!

I dunno, I had them for like 5 days and one or two kept dying each day until I fed the remaining 3 to Sedge cause I felt bad. Ammonia was zero. Nitrates were maybe a little high...but I think it was just going to be too hard. With the tap water having 1ppm Ammonia, I couldn't ever get the parameters perfect I guess. Or maybe the ph was too low. I don't know but I guess I'd rather put the effort and resources into Sedge's future tank(s). :-/
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:39 am   Re: Shrimp breeding time!

I feel your pain. I have recently had an inexplicable issue with my fish tank, having a fish die a day almost. Can't tell why.. all parameters are good, and the fish were all in there for a few months. Odd.
rambologic

Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:34 am   Re: Shrimp breeding time!

Sometimes that will happen unfortunately, especially when you pick an animal from a pet store or some questionable breeders. The only thing we can tell ourselves if that at least we did everything we could At least it happened with your livestock and not your actual pet. ^^"
PokePony

Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:51 pm   Re: Shrimp breeding time!

Well I waited months to get the shrimp because I knew I was getting them from someone who actually bred them...which is why I gave up :-/

Luckily turtles are harder to kill...
Kingbird44

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:51 am   Re: Shrimp breeding time!

Maybe not all of them were hardy. When I used to get feeder fish, there were always some that would die right away and 1 or 2 that were indestructible.
steve
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Feeding and Nutrition