Feeding and Nutrition :: Help turtle wont eat at all

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:33 am   Help turtle wont eat at all

Im a brand new turtle owner and I have a Red Eared Slider named Kappa. Ive had him about a week now. Kappa is around 3 inches long and Ive had him for a week. I got him turtle pellets, live earthworms, dried mealworms, river shrimp, red shrimp and crickets. Ive tried tomato for the bright colors trick to entice him. His tank is 74 degress at the coldest point and he has both a basking light and a full spectrum UV light. He has a basking area that he loves and hes in a 10 gallon tank with about 3 inches of water. He has a turtle bone and a water filter. He keeps swimming at the glass like hes trying to run away though every time he sees me. Whenever I put him in his feeding tank with water thats all he does the trying to swim away thing and completely ignores the food no matter what it is. I dont know what to do please help
MikuHosage

Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:18 pm   Re: Help turtle wont eat at all

So the turtle is not eating anything at all? If you only feed him in the feeding tank, try dropping in a certain amount of pellets - like 3 - and then leave the area, so that the turtle does not see you or any other distractions. Come back after 30 min. and see if the turtle hasn't eaten them.

Weird that the turtle won't even go after shrimp, turtles usually love that. It may be that, since your turtle is so new, it hasn't associated you with food yet. They usually act like they want to run through the glass because they want food. They may still do it even if you put food in the tank. Try grabbing its attention with your finger or something, and then drop the food. Let it eat after that, as some turtles won't eat if you are too close. Might even want to try something with a strong smell, like tuna (in water). Rub some of the liquid on the turtle food, and put that in.

Also, not sure what your plans are for housing the turtle, but you are going to need a larger tank. I suggest reading through the main site, if you haven't already, and learning about the various needs and recommended habitat sizes, filtration, diet etc. for RES turtles.

http://www.redearslider.com/
rambologic

Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:32 pm   Re: Help turtle wont eat at all

I agree with rambologic, the turtle has a new home and will take a little time. Have you tried feeding him in the regular tank? Basically, keep things stress free, avoid excessive handling, and allow him to adjust to his surroundings. I also suggest you try live rosy red minnows - hold it by the tail and let it wiggle in front of his face.

Any detail about the full spectrum UV light? Those are not always the same as UVB lamps.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:48 pm   Re: Help turtle wont eat at all

Good advice on just leaving it in the main tank steve. Also, good catch. From what I have read, full spectrum UV lights do not put out UVB in levels anywhere near to what a turtle needs.
rambologic

Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:28 pm   Re: Help turtle wont eat at all

He only trys going through the glass away from me not towards. The light is a Reptisun 5.0 UVB 13 WATT Tropical by Zoomed. Ill try the tuna juice and leaving him where he can see me in his feeding tank since his tank is in my bedroom.
MikuHosage

Post Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:21 am   Re: Help turtle wont eat at all

Away from you does indicate he's a bit skittish now. You can offer him bits of tuna, tough it will make a bit of mess in the water.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition