Habitat - Outdoor :: Need help with source of uvb.

Ponds and other outdoor enclosures.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:16 am   Need help with source of uvb.

I'm planning to move my turtle to a pond but the thing is my pond is shaded by a roof which means no sunlight direct can pass through aside from natural light..I can't provide an exact picture but my pond kinda looks like this : http://www.newpages2u.com/images/141549 ... 2a1655.jpg ... but add the roof on top of the pond..Do u think it's necessary to buy a calcium + D3 supplement?
Aurelia

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:09 am   Re: Need help with source of uvb.

Is there some place close to the pond that gets direct sunlight? It does need to bask, and it does need UVB, either natural or light bulb-supplied. They should be getting calcium regardless. Consult your local herp vet about supplements.

http://www.redearslider.com/nutritional_content.html
rambologic

Post Posted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:47 pm   Re: Need help with source of uvb.

How big is the pond?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:38 am   Re: Need help with source of uvb.

steve wrote:How big is the pond?

I can't give the exact measurement but i think it's around 2000/3000+ gallon.
Last edited by Aurelia on Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Aurelia

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:40 am   Re: Need help with source of uvb.

rambologic wrote:Is there some place close to the pond that gets direct sunlight? It does need to bask, and it does need UVB, either natural or light bulb-supplied. They should be getting calcium regardless. Consult your local herp vet about supplements.

http://www.redearslider.com/nutritional_content.html

There is but it is above the pond filter which sucks..
Aurelia

Post Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:34 pm   Re: Need help with source of uvb.

Would you be able to provide some sort of picture of your setup? I know you stated the first picture is sort of like what you have, but it's kind of difficult to envision what you have. May need to provide some sort of ramp to get out of the pond on out onto a dry spot with sunlight.
rambologic

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:22 pm   Re: Need help with source of uvb.

rambologic wrote:Would you be able to provide some sort of picture of your setup? I know you stated the first picture is sort of like what you have, but it's kind of difficult to envision what you have. May need to provide some sort of ramp to get out of the pond on out onto a dry spot with sunlight.

I would but i'm currently on vacation so it might take some times before i post a picture..
Aurelia

Post Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:26 pm   Re: Need help with source of uvb.

Gotcha, enjoy your vacation!
rambologic

Post Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:05 am   Re: Need help with source of uvb.

Will she be out there year-round?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:58 am   Re: Need help with source of uvb.

steve wrote:Will she be out there year-round?

Yeah but don't worry..I live in a tropical country and the temp is usually 32C and at night it's usually 27C
Aurelia

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:37 pm   Re: Need help with source of uvb.

Is the pond already running? I would monitor water temps and air temps. If it is warm enough, she will bask but it would be nice if she had some warmer spots to thermoregulate. As for as UVB, she should be able to get some indirectly, though I would make sure some of her pellets have vitamin D3.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:17 am   Re: Need help with source of uvb.

steve wrote:Is the pond already running? I would monitor water temps and air temps. If it is warm enough, she will bask but it would be nice if she had some warmer spots to thermoregulate. As for as UVB, she should be able to get some indirectly, though I would make sure some of her pellets have vitamin D3.

Yup it's running and the water temp is usually around 27 ish unless it's raining....I'll try to do something with the basking spot.Yeah i have Omega one pellet which I think they added vitamin D3 in it.
Aurelia

Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:30 pm   Re: Need help with source of uvb.

http://i63.tinypic.com/149qwxl.jpg

I'm sorry for the long wait.I've been busy.Anyways,the pond was changed because of several reason.It's smaller but deeper.But as you can see it's not finished yet.Anyways,what do you recommend me to put so that the turtle can get a nice basking platform?
Aurelia

Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:55 pm   Re: Need help with source of uvb.

It may not fit the formal look you have but what about on those three square tiles , cut some cork bark thin and silicon to the tiles. Smooth surfaces will not allow the plastron to dry completely. Real cork would be a little bumpy and allow air under so plastron can dry. You could also make them different heights , turtles like to be as high as they can . That way he can decide which one he prefers to be on at the time. It would be softer than a hard tile so not to scratch up plastron. You could even connect with cork say two or even all three square tiles for one large basking area so he can decide depending on where the sun may go.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:53 pm   Re: Need help with source of uvb.

Great idea!!I'll take that into consideration.Thanks!
Aurelia

Return to Habitat - Outdoor