Habitat - Indoor :: I need help finding a bigger tank

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:59 am   I need help finding a bigger tank

Basically my wife got RES but she does little care or research around how to care for the poor animal. So far we had him in 40 gallon aquarium but it’s obvious that he needs something bigger. So here I am and I need some basic help with buying an aquarium.

What I am looking for:
- 65 gallons to 75 gallons (I would consider 95 if high quality product)
- aquarium with stand
- stand needs to be of high quality so I won’t worry about the weight of the tank
- I would prefer if the set up came with space for canister filter
- our turtle really enjoys deep water (it’s a long story)
- I am willing to spend $$$
- I prefer tested and known product
Filemon

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:44 pm   Re: I need help finding a bigger tank

Every sliders love deep waters and swim around ;)
Do you have a basking area and proper lights ? How big is your turtle ?

Where do you live ? You can easily find big tanks in aquarium shops. A lot of them usually come with their own stand as well.
PokePony

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:19 pm   Re: I need help finding a bigger tank

A RES turtle needs for every 1" of shell 10 gallons of water alone. Yes this is space for the turtle but most importantly so you can control the waters parameters correctly due to how messy turtles are.
So say 6" turtle is 60 gallons of "water alone" not a 60 tank half full. If basking area in the tank a 90 gallon partially full say with the 60 gallons of water and the other empty space for safety from any escape.
Other way if you want that 60 gallon tank you could fill it all the way and make a "ATBA" . That's if you don't have room for a larger tank.
You did not give size of turtle so this is just an example for a 6" turtle. Also depending on size ( over 4" sex should be known) and if you know sex for sure 100% you may save money in the long run and go with a final adult setup now to save from any more upgrades.
I would say away from acrylic tanks the turtle claws will scratch it up bad. Glass tank better for turtles !
Marineland make some good tanks and Oceanic not bad either. If you want very high quality you need to get into custom builds.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:19 pm   Re: I need help finding a bigger tank

PokePony wrote:Every sliders love deep waters and swim around ;)
Do you have a basking area and proper lights ? How big is your turtle ?

Where do you live ? You can easily find big tanks in aquarium shops. A lot of them usually come with their own stand as well.

Yes I got proper lights and heat lamp and he does have a basking area .

Turtle is about 8 inches long.

I live near NYC.

I visited awhile ago pet smart and got 95 gallon, but it was tall and arrow and did not stand securely in my room. Not to mention it was made out of weak compressed wood.
Filemon

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:16 am   Re: I need help finding a bigger tank

Shame, it's always a bummer to buy something for your pet and it doesn't work =_=

A 95 gallon would be ideal. With the basking area on top of it so you can maximise the space. if it's a male it won't grow a lot much. If it's a female it could get a couple of inches more

I have a 45 gallon tank for my two juveniles, it came with its own stand and it works like a charm ! It looks like this (except this one is a 75) : http://www.socalaquariums.com/yahoo_sit ... 53_std.JPG
The stand is in acrylic, I love it ! Usually acrylic stands are made to match up a certain tank. I wouldn't recommend anything else. There is no downside to it that I heard of. Water doesn't damage it and it's light. I've heard a lot of positive reviews on Deep Blue Professional. I'm not sure but I think my tank comes from there ? I think you can find their product at Pet Co.
PokePony

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:07 am   Re: I need help finding a bigger tank

You've got a female, so you want larger if possible.

Which stores have you checked? You can usually get a stand separately. If you want, have a local metal shop make one for you out of tube steel and it'll be insanely strong. You can also look at tanks from glasscages.com and pickup from one of their drop off locations. They have customization options, and overall its a bit pricey and I'm not sure worth it for tanks under 125 gallons.

I picked up a used 90 gallon + metal stand for $100 a few years ago (in Brooklyn I believe). Tank was clean and in very good condition, not sure of the brand though. I found it on Craigslist... if you put effort into it, you'll find something you're happy with. Do make sure it's an aquarium not a terrarium or vivarium, in which case they will have thin glass.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:15 am   Re: I need help finding a bigger tank

My turtle is a male.

I went to petco and petsmart. About 2 years ago we got 40 gallon with a steal frame made for it. Now we have a slightly bigger place and more $$$ to spend. I recently went to petco again and all they had was tanks without a stand. Which I refuse to buy because a tank 75 gallons weighs 600lbs. Also 2 years ago I did try the 95 gallon but the cheap stand made out of compressed wood was bending under its weight. One of the reason I got smaller tank was because I couldn’t find a good quality stand for a bigger one. Money wasn’t even that much of an issue at that time.
Filemon

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:32 am   Re: I need help finding a bigger tank

If you can't find anything locally look here they offer several brands.

http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/

Give them a call for more info if needed.

Males max out at 9". If you still have that 95 gallon make an "ATBA" . Be perfect for your 8" turtle ! Then the stand.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:49 am   Re: I need help finding a bigger tank

litefoot wrote:If you can't find anything locally look here they offer several brands.

http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/

Give them a call for more info if needed.

Males max out at 9". If you still have that 95 gallon make an "ATBA" . Be perfect for your 8" turtle ! Then the stand.

Ok thank you. This site sells tanks with solid wood stand.

How good are these guys? Anybody used this site before on here?
They are expensive but I don’t mind spending money since it’s likely going to be one time investment.
Filemon

Return to Habitat - Indoor