Habitat - Indoor :: Stock Tank Advice

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:05 pm   Re: Stock Tank Advice

Kansasslider wrote:I was just pointing out something that could be a problem. I have never owned a metal tank but it seams to me that it being made of metal condensation "Could" be an issue. I have also never heard of anyone having one indoors.

Our house has moisture problems to begin with, so absolutely appreciate your mentioning this, as I never would have thought of it. With 6 Chihuahuas, 1 85 lb Pit Bull, and Clarence in a 1000 sq foot house, I am just always looking for ways for maximize space for everyone. Not easy!
twoam

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:21 pm   Re: Stock Tank Advice

steve wrote:It's worth checking out, some of those setups could look pretty nice.

I think so too. I like the size, and look of it a lot. It would also be much easier for us to clean/tend to. We are kind of old, and feeble lol. The tall stand/tank is a bitch when it comes to maintenance, and again, the width is not working for him any more. Would definately make some sort of stand for it. Not very tall, just to make priming a bit easier. I have a galvanized tub in the back yard, with flowers in it. I think we will empty it out, bring it inside, fill it with water, and see how it goes with the moisture on the outside. That is definately something that I didnt think of, and that would need to be taken into consideration. Clarence has to live in the living room. He loves watching TV. I am not vain at all about what my house looks like (obviously not with 7 dogs), but I do think, when you have a nice "space", everyone benefits :)
twoam

Post Posted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:30 pm   Re: Stock Tank Advice

steve wrote:There are few who have used those galvanized tanks outdoors, I don't recall one being indoors. I think your location would greatly determine if there would be a condensation problem.

We are in KY. Hate to say this, but never have used a heater for his tank. Water temp just stays at 75. We try to keep a pretty constant temp in the house. Lots of senior dogs, and they cant do with drastic temp changes either.
twoam

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:32 pm   Re: Stock Tank Advice

So what are you leaning towards?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:43 am   Re: Stock Tank Advice

steve wrote:So what are you leaning towards?

Sorry for the delay. Spring, and early Summer at an animal shelter is crazy. Anyway, there is a possibility that we may be moving to a warmer climate. This would not happen until next year, but if it does, I sure do love some of the larger outdoor habitats that people have shared. If this does not come to pass, then I really am leaning towards the metal tank, for space/dimension reasons (in this house). The waiting is hard, because I was ready to do this a long time ago. A very large outdoor habitat will have another whole set of questions to pester you about :) Clarence seems pretty patient in his tank. I think it bothers me more then it bothers him.
twoam

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:18 am   Re: Stock Tank Advice

Sorry that this keeps dragging on. We are trying to move from KY to FL on a very limited budget. Trying to sell a house, and buy a place at the same time, having lived in this house for 22 years, trying to accomadate 7 dogs...well it has just been a bit overwhelming.
Anyway, as we get closer to our goal, I have a few questions. I may have asked these before...if so, please be patiant with me.
-We found a good deal on a 150gal rubbermaid stock tank, but have heard (read) people say this is really to small for outside due to small size causing temps to go up and down to much. We are skimming the bucket financially, and this is what we can afford att. Also, if we do not sell before cold temps set in, stock tank needs to come inside, and 150 is all I can fit in current house. Anyone have any luck with this size outside?
-Would the stock tank need to be positioned so that it gets shade part of the day? If in full sun, is manmade shade ok?
-When the move happens, what is the safest way to transport Clarence? It is about a 14 hour drive.
-When we finally do this, we will be selling a 150g tank and stand, if anyone in KY area is interested. Tank is painted blue on back (which I actually love after trying to put a backing on our last tank lol) and stand is black.
Thanks in advance for any answers/advice.
twoam

Post Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:47 pm   Re: Stock Tank Advice

I'm not too familiar with Florida weather, but a lot of what we need to know is the range of temperatures you're dealing with. Older RES are pretty tough, so they can tolerate a wider range. I would have some partial shade, doesn't matter what kind. We have several topics on transporting RES, but start off with a cardboard box and some towels. During breaks, rehydrate him so he can drink and eat.

FL might have some restrictions regarding RES, it would be good to be familiar with those rules.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:50 pm   Re: Stock Tank Advice

Thanks for the moving advice Steve. In an odd coincidence, today was our loan closing, and the 150 g stock tank arrived. Life is moving very fast! It seems so big!!! I love it!!! It is too cold here outside, at night, so it is going to come in the house until we move. I want to completely seal off the drain plug. We will definately not use the drain, inside or out. I had seen a thread on sealing it with silicone, but I cant seem to find that. Does anyone have any advice? I can not wait to get this thing set up. Obviouosly its going to take a bit, but yayyyyy its here!!!!!
twoam

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:17 pm   Re: Stock Tank Advice

I have been using Rubbermaid stocks for decades. On the drain kit's I only use Teflon tape and never had any leaks (indoor or outdoors) just in case one of these other decades I change my mind to use it.
That 3'x5' you can do so much more than in a glass tank. You and Clarence will love it !

Just make sure if you never use Teflon tape it goes in same direction as you screw fittings together // clockwise ! I would cover all the threads with the tape if it's your first time using it. Some threads are cut shallow and others deep , so just cover all the thread showing.

NOTE : depending on your type of filter lets say canister // if tank on floor water level MUST be above filter level. If you have to you can always place on cinderblock if you going to use only a few inches in the tank.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:42 pm   Re: Stock Tank Advice

Thanks Litefoot. When I sat in it (yup, I just had to) I noticed some tape on the plug. I just dont trust it, and will redo if no one else chimes in with other options. Hubby does some plumbing, so will trust him with it as last resort. We have been getting the house ready for the sale/move for months now, and really cannot have any water leak at all. It will be interesting enough trying to explain the indoor pond lol. I had planned to set Clarence up outside, so a leak really would not matter, but as most plans do, that fell through before cold weather got here. Water level will definately be above filter, but I had read that it would still be difficult. Just going to have to go with what we have for now, and fix everything when we get were we are going.
twoam

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:08 pm   Re: Stock Tank Advice

Hope you get a closing date soon , good luck !

If you have a decent canister filter should be "no" problem.

When questioned , one's who say no way about the water level turn out to have toy filter's inadequate for any size turtle and or tank.

For your other post :
You can always pull up the weather almanac for Florida and see temps. Should be no problem I 'm in New Orleans and have two outside doing well above ground . Also if you feel temps are going to be off a little to control the temps dig a hole and use it at ground level , the ground will help regulate the water temps , the tank is 25" high and that depth in ground is warm in Florida. The ground will not hurt a Rubbermaid tank , I have one as a fountain in ground for years , dug it up and moved it to my new house back in ground and looked great no problems. They are the best being structural foam fiber and very strong. Those other's you were looking at are to flexible and or plastic glade you got the Rubbermaid !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:12 pm   Re: Stock Tank Advice

Litefoot, I thank you for all of your input. It seems very hard to come by on here. One person posts a question and they get a gazillion replys. Someone else does, and zip. I know the temps we will be moving to, as my mother currently lives there. That is why we are moving, to be closer to her. I have lived in my current home for 22 years (we are older folks), so this is a pretty major life change. Clarence has been with us for 6 years now. I adopted him from the humane society that I work at, after he had been bought at a flea market, and then turned in to us. He was the size of a quarter!!! I had no idea what I was getting into. We have tried so hard to make a good life for him. He will always be welcome to come in the house, no matter where we live, and I am so happy that the stock tank will allow us to do that. So many more options with the stock tank. Anyway, thanks again!
twoam

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:49 am   Re: Stock Tank Advice

Old thread, but wanted to update that Clarence made the move from his tank in KY, to his stock tank in FL, with flying colors. Thanks to your advice, transporting went well, though by the time we arived, he was pretty grouchy. I imagine that having to listen to 7 barking dogs, for 18 hours, did not help. First thing we did was set up the stock tank on a cement slab right next to the tiny trailer. We downsized, and Clarence upgraded LOL. No blocks to raise tank as of yet, but have had no problems priming filter. Lots of algae at first with so much sun, so have been tweeking amount of shade. Clarence never skpped a beat with eating, basking or anything. The biggest surprise is how amazing he looks now. I was always worried that his shell did not look great...bumpy? He looks SO good.

Only concern has been, that when a huge rain comes through, I have to bail his tank, so that his basking dock is not under water. I would like to put up some kind of barrier (plexi glass?) around the tank, so that I can raise his basking area, fill tank to the top, and overflow would just run out. Its time to decorate :) I loved someones idea of wrapping the stock tank in a bamboo shade. I used to have a link to some awesome photos of what other people have done with stock tanks, but I can not seem to find it now. If anyone could direct me to it?

Thanks to everyone who helped us move Clarence to the stock tank, and FL. Your advice was greatly appreciated!
twoam

Post Posted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:03 pm   Re: Stock Tank Advice

That great for all of you. I assume you went with a structural foam 150 gallon stock tank ? Could always install a float valve system for the rain water overfilling. Even just drill a weep hold at the level you want water to be. Can always use two big washer and a rubber gasket to seal it at a later date if needed.
Best place to prevent escape would be to place basking area in the middle. Or as I use today is chop sticks to keep it several inches away from the side. Piggley has nothing to stand on to climb out so no cover needed. Watch hanging plants on the sides turtles have been known to climb up them.

I first used cheap wood type fencing when my tank was outside like this , two wraps of it gave it a better look. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Backyard-X-Sca ... g/50236275

This gives you time to look for a longer lasting bamboo type ( fencing or shades) , use price trackers for best price and watch for end of season clearances. Once I moved it inside I found on clearance real bamboo window shades for a better look. Most of Piggley's pictures are of the inside of the tank may see the shade outside in a few ? Wil see several designs on basking area for Piggley he likes a lot of changes being an adult , keeps his interest up always exploring. Look in photo gallery may see some ideas there under Piggley or other tanks pic's.
litefoot

Previous

Return to Habitat - Indoor