Habitat - Indoor :: Basking Dock Solution?? + water depth question

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:44 am   Basking Dock Solution?? + water depth question

I got my first red ear slider yesterday and she's adjusting very well. :msgreen: However, she can't seem to get onto her dock to bask. It has a ramp and she can get her whole body onto it, but then she slips off. I figure some rock supports would help. I'm wondering if anyone has ideas on rocks I can find to give her steps and if there's any health concerns (I'd rinse them off, of course). She's REALLY wanting up and surfacing a lot. Free free to send set up photos too!
P.S. is 11 inches of water too deep for a 40 gal tank if she's 4 inches?
lilyoshi

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:45 am   Re: Basking Dock Solution?? + water depth question

What kind of dock? Do you have your own picture of basking area/setup?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:22 am   Re: Basking Dock Solution?? + water depth question

It's a medium size Zoo Med turtle dock:
It's a pretty basic set up because I haven't gotten all the supplies yet, but it was recommended by the pet store.
lilyoshi

Post Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:36 am   Re: Basking Dock Solution?? + water depth question

For a aquatic turtle a water depth of 2-2.5 x's it shell length to me is minimum. A better rule would be 10 gallons of water alone for every inch of shell. As the solution on basking dock see my recommendation under your other post in urgent care. Most 40 gallon breeders are 17" high so you can add some more water and still be escape proof. To me adding rocks to help get on only takes up valuable swimming room in a small tank. All you need to do is adjust it better as stated on other post. Still getting use to new home and may be a little scared and not sure of it yet , that's normal. Turtles are very skittish ! Turtles are great climbers ! And diggers too !
litefoot

Return to Habitat - Indoor