Habitat - Indoor :: Not basking in new setup

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:12 am   Not basking in new setup

I have had 2 RES for over a year now with those floating docks under theyre basking area. I just built a new basking area out of egg crate and it is very different from just a dock. they dont seem to be interested. I can tell that they are getting tired from swimming around. And theyre shells are getting slimey from not basking, which they dearly enjoy (on the cheap floating dock which they do not fit on anymore). The turtles are able to climb the small incline on the ramp but just seem to float in the water there. I put some treats on the flat part under the basking light and uvb bulbs but she just grabs the treat and goes back into the water. I have taken out their floating dock to try to get them to go explore the new terrain. How do i get the other one to climb it? And how do i get both to bask like they used to? This is a much better setup now and they do not seem to understand it. Will it take time? Or should i adapt the grate more? Im worried that they will get sick
Maysian

Post Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:07 am   Re: Not basking in new setup

Turtle need water to swallow so it is normal that she goes back in the water.
Do the same from time to time with the other turtle as well. Be sure they now how to get on the basking platform. My turtles didn't want to use their new one for two weeks but eventually got used to it.
You can put some decorations like leaves and fake grass to encourage them as well.

Besides the treats on the platform, I also started to feed them when they were on the ramp, but still inside the water. They aren't scared of walking on the platform when I'm around when I do that. It encourages them to be around the new setup !
PokePony

Post Posted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:54 pm   Re: Not basking in new setup

Can you post a picture of the setup?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor