General Care Discussion :: My turtle has this spot on hes back? what does it mean?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:24 pm   My turtle has this spot on hes back? what does it mean?

Im no turtle expert, my turtle eats "ReptoMin", Shes/Hes 5. What does the spot mean? Its been there for a while, 2months+ i think but don't quote me. Can you see the image?
Attachments
20171023_161408.jpg
the spot
20171023_161408.jpg (57.24 KiB) Viewed 2511 times
milliexrm

Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:17 pm   Re: My turtle has this spot on hes back? what does it mean?

Are you asking about the vertebral scute ? Is it soft to the touch ? Looks as if the keratin layer is trying to shed. It will have trouble doing so But Do Not try and help remove it if it ever peels up some ! It is connected to bone and you can really hurt the turtle. It's shell is not in good shape , lots of overfeeding !!! Excessive growth ring's and some retained scutes from failed sheds. It shell should be smooth not bumpy .

Only thing you can do is adjust diet now ( can you give sample of full diet for a week ? ) and offer it the best basking site with good and proper lighting. It will take a long time , several sheds , for the shell to correct itself some but possible.

You say ( 5 ) ...... years , inches ? Can you get photo of front claws to tell sex ? That will help to know what's the best setup you will need to help it get better. Any photos of " present" setup will also help !

Can you answer this questions in some detail so we can help your turtle :

How big is your turtle?
How long have you had it?

What is the water temperature?
Did you use a thermometer?
Are you using a water heater?
How much water is in there?
Are you using a water conditioner?
Are you using any filtration?

What is the basking temperature?
Is there a basking light?
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on?
What kind is it or what is it made out of?
Is there a UVB light?

What have you been trying to feed it?
When was the last time your turtle ate?

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure?
Is the tank near a window?
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity?

Have you read the Basic Care section?
Have you searched the forums for similar situations?

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms?
litefoot

Return to General Care Discussion