Equipment Review and Discussion :: Canister Filter input

Various accessories and equipment discussed here.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:09 pm   Canister Filter input

I had a SunSun for the past 7 or so years for my 75 gallon tank that recently gave out. Though I don't think it was preforming well for a while now. I'm looking to replace it with a better quality one. I've been going through reviews but everything is all over the place. My main wants are being quiet, easy to prime, and of course good cleaning power. I'll be honest that I probably don't clean out the filter as often as I should. These were the ones I was looking further into:
Penn Plax Cascade 1500. Pro is a good price but I'm worried it will not be much better than the SunSun
Eheim classic 2217. I like that the water cannot escape the media but it seems like it would be a huge pain to clean. I also see there are other models than the classic, are they a better choice?
And are the Fluvals really worth the price jump. (minus the FX ones.. they're too big to fit where I need)
Any input and experience would be appreciated!
cberg

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:33 pm   Re: Canister Filter input

Hello,

If this is for Filbert he must have some size by now ? How much water in that 75 gallon tank ? Hope full with a "ATBA" being an adult by now.

Most all filter are rated for fish on the "GPH" and turtles are messy requiring 3-5x's the flow of fish. So you need to look for a filter that has a flow rate of 225-375 gph . Both of these will be under rated where you would be cleaning every 5 days along with your water changes and you know how we all love to do maintenance !

Normally a juvenile would need 225 flow rate on 75 gallons of water , adult 300 flow rate and large adult like females a 375 flow rate. This is for easier maintenance and to help control the waters parameters.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:47 pm   Re: Canister Filter input

From previous experience with Fluvals (not including the FX series), I would skip it. For noise, do they go under a cabinet? Careful positioning of the outlet nozzle would probably be the biggest factor with the noise.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:18 am   Re: Canister Filter input

I give a nod to the Cascade 1500. Which SunSun did you have?

I have a Cascade 1000, it works very well. Key is type of media, established media, and how/where you set your input and output. For a canister filter to last you 7 years though, that's a pretty darn good life. Priming is generally not that difficult. I have an equally easy time priming my SunSun as I do my Cascade. Just need to know how to do it.
rambologic

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:16 pm   Re: Canister Filter input

He’s 11 now and in a tank mostly filled, with room at the top for a dock. Had the SunSun 304. The filter goes under the cabinet and for a while we couldn’t even hear the filter but the past couple of years it got noisier. The 1500 is rated at 350, though the Eheim I’m seeing slightly different ratings but around 260. But all I’ve seen is that is the most powerful classic. Some of the reviews on the Penn plax was that it was kind of difficult to prime, but good to know it’s comparable to the SunSun there. Thanks for the input, maybe I’ll go in the direction of the Penn plax, though I’m open to suggestions I wasn’t considering.
cberg

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:30 pm   Re: Canister Filter input

Note some manufactures give a flow rate without media to show a higher flow. One of those marketing things ?

Also once media get's dirty flow rate goes down, on some a lot. Some high end filters give rates with and without media. Something to think about if you have to cut it close on size.

Just for an example "my" pump output is 925 gallons but with media the flow rate is 563 gph. I use that on 125gallons of water.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:00 am   Re: Canister Filter input

I agree with not going off of the advertised flow rates so strictly. The conditions used to achieve the flow rates are probably optimal conditions for the highest flow rates possible. Probably brand new filters, with zero media, zero restriction.

Biggest thing is getting a filter than can handle your tank. You want plenty of flow rate, plenty of space for media. Reliability. If the SunSun was doing fine, then you already know of an option that will work. My Penn Plax has noticeably better build quality over the Sun Sun. For noise, they are both very quiet. They both clean well. Positioning the output and input in a way where water flows well through the tank, leaving little to no "dead spots" (no flow) will keep your tank nice and clean. Bio media will keep the water parameters good.

I read reviews on things that I am shopping for too, and saw the reviews you speak of. The Penn Plax can be difficult to prime if you do not fully understand how to prime it. Or if something is wrong with it. The priming mechanism works, it's a push prime just like the SunSun. You want to fill the canister first by pumping the button a few times to get a siphon going. Water will flow into the canister and fill it. Then you turn it on. At that point, it should start to flow. Air bubbles will purge out for a little while. No difference between the SunSun and Penn Plax, at least for me. Do keep in mind that, what might be difficult to somebody else might not be difficult to you. Take reviews with a grain of salt. Unless you see a constant complaint on a product's reviews that are concerning (like the leaking issues with some SunSun's), then you can make your own decision on whether or not you want to deal with that. Makes me wonder if the people who had trouble priming it have it setup correctly as well. If it works off of siphon, you need to have the canister lower than the tank. If the hoses are run in such a way where the siphon won't be strong enough to overcome twists and awkward hose positions, then that may also affect the filter's performance. I am rambling now, but you get the idea.
rambologic

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:10 am   Re: Canister Filter input

Normally with Black Friday coming one can find good sales , hopefully a filter you are considering. If you need sooner use a price tracker for best price.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:24 pm   Re: Canister Filter input

Oh man, Black Friday sales... that means my unopened FX6s are almost a year old!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:37 pm   Re: Canister Filter input

Come on Steve !!! Keep that up will be out of warranty before you open the box... Haha !
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:11 pm   Re: Canister Filter input

I'm afraid of that, but those XP3s are still running well after 12 years. :)
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:38 am   Re: Canister Filter input

"I'm a pack rat myself" , if it still works I use it !!!

See my other post on the air show ...!
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:59 am   Re: Canister Filter input

Thanks for all the advice. I decided to try the Penn Plax and so far so good. Has a powerful flow from the spay bar, something I hadn’t had for a while. Goes to show how lacking my SunSun had been for a while
cberg

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:35 pm   Re: Canister Filter input

Good to hear ! If using media that came with it that's for fish change it up a little for a turtle. Look at filter media stickies for some ideas.
I have found media pads , carbon , prugein and bio rings are about the best arrangement for a turtle. Any of my vidieos will show what they do for the water.
This was the last one : https://youtu.be/Ca7w2FCMSyI
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:58 pm   Re: Canister Filter input

Cheryl,
The Penn Plax 1500 you chose is an excellent filter.
l have been using one for quite a long time with good success.
There is one caveat, and that is the intake filter strainer. It can easily
become dislodged and then the intake can cause trauma to your turtle.
Bearcub

Return to Equipment Review and Discussion