Habitat - Indoor :: Tank Cleaning/Bubbles

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:50 pm   Tank Cleaning/Bubbles

So I had read that sometimes a white foam will start forming when there's too much protein in the tank, but it seems like it happens all the sudden? I give Yoshi about a half teaspoon of pellets and the rest green leaf/romaine lettuce and carrots. And occasionally I'll give her a little river shrimp which she eats out of my hand (I want her to be less afraid of me because I poop scooop a lot, and it's working!).
Anyway, there really isn't much excess pellets or protein in there. I scoop out what she doesn't eat and give her greens instead. Why do these bubbles all the sudden appear??
lilyoshi

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:31 pm   Re: Tank Cleaning/Bubbles

Not sure about the foam/protein connection, I've never really seen it. Do the bubbles easily dissipate? Do you have a picture of it?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:15 pm   Re: Tank Cleaning/Bubbles

Did you use lately any "OTC" additive's ... some chemical's have ingredient's in them that can cause soap like bubbles.

Photo's would help a lot !

Thanks for coming back to the open forum from the "PM's".

Did you get a new filter yet for that 55 gallon tank?

Being under filtered and this popping up you may need to do water changes more frequent and filter maintenance more often until a filter sales comes around.

May be some dissolved organic waste building up? When I go fishing this happens in water with high organic waste , the waves hitting the shore causes foamy bubbles.

Black Friday sales are coming be watching.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:01 am   Re: Tank Cleaning/Bubbles

The only additives we use is the ReptiSafe after each water change. We take out 10 gallons every week and we change the filter every week (which is getting costly, so we were going to get those bio ring things).I also scoop food out poop, food, and anything else out every day or two. We haven't gotten the other filter. We'll definitely be on the look out for Black Friday!!
lilyoshi

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:08 am   Re: Tank Cleaning/Bubbles

What do you mean by changing filter every week ?
PokePony

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:09 am   Re: Tank Cleaning/Bubbles

Also, here's an image of those bubbles:
They come out of the filter, which was changed day before yesterday. There was also an oily looking substance covering the top, which made me immediately change the water and change the filter. The oil is completely gone, but the bubbles haven't really disappeared, even though I've scooped them out manually.
lilyoshi

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:10 am   Re: Tank Cleaning/Bubbles

PokePony: I mean changing the cartridge (rinsing it because it says to, it's carbon) rinsing off the foam cartridge, and occasionally rinsing off the food that gets stuck in the filter.
lilyoshi

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:11 am   Re: Tank Cleaning/Bubbles

https://ibb.co/etkKy6 the image didn't work:/ Copy and paste the url, I guess?
lilyoshi

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:43 am   Re: Tank Cleaning/Bubbles

Tiny fizz type bubbles normally come when an PH additive is used or a PH corrector is used. Any used and or any other type additive used?
What type water conditioner are you using ?
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:56 pm   Re: Tank Cleaning/Bubbles

The only thing we put in her tank is ZooMed ReptiSafe. Are we using too much? We measure the gallons and it says to add 1tsp for every 5 gallons. We add 10 gallons every change, so we put in 2tsp. Do you have a better recommendation?
lilyoshi

Post Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:13 pm   Re: Tank Cleaning/Bubbles

Just type reptisafe in search box and see all the post .

We long time turtle keepers are trying to keep things out our tanks. Reptisafe has harmful chemicals in it for turtles ! Sodium thiosulfate is very bad !

Read : https://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/househo ... d=26004003

I do not use any conditioners ""BUT"" I have (1 ) cup of carbon in filter to remove those chemicals .

One must dig deep and do homework for a happy and healthy turtle !

Here's another on API which is Marsfishcare : http://www.redearslider.com/~res-mod/ve ... 122309.pdf
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:12 pm   Re: Tank Cleaning/Bubbles

We're going to have to get this other filter sooner because even though her filter cartridge was JUST changed and we did a water change, it hasn't cleaned her water at all and it's turning green. If anyone could supply me with links for decent filters that won't break after less than a month, that would be great. She's in a 40 gallon tank right now but we're saving to upgrade straight to the 120 gallon tank in a few months.
lilyoshi

Post Posted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:55 pm   Re: Tank Cleaning/Bubbles

What you would buy for that part full 40 gallon will never be adequate for a 120 gallon in a few months.
Think about this and it will save wasting any money and would allow you to control the water better. For now get a filter rated for at least 120 gallons and fill the 40 gallon tank full , then built a DIY "ATBA !

A filter that does mechanical , chemical and biological rated for 120 with good media setup will do the trick for 40 gallons of water !
Doing this will give you a couple years to save up more for the final adult size tank and adult size filter.
litefoot

Return to Habitat - Indoor