General Care Discussion :: Help! My Hatchling red eared slider!

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:24 pm   Re: Help! My Hatchling red eared slider!

Does he bask a lot? Or not at all?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:38 am   Re: Help! My Hatchling red eared slider!

Just wanted to add that your RES colours are amazing. Is it an Emerald RES ? So beautiful.
PokePony

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:41 am   Re: Help! My Hatchling red eared slider!

steve wrote:Does he bask a lot? Or not at all?

He likes basking. I would say Moderate, like usually 30 Mins, to an hour, and then he swims looks for food. And so on. :)
Hatchling_Bob

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:43 am   Re: Help! My Hatchling red eared slider!

PokePony wrote:Just wanted to add that your RES colours are amazing. Is it an Emerald RES ? So beautiful.

Well not sure what emerald turtle is lol but he is a Baby res n_n/ and hopefully his colors become more brighter. After shedding..
Hatchling_Bob

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:00 am   Re: Help! My Hatchling red eared slider!

I always offer the veggies first when he's the hungriest . Say a piece of red or green lettuce the size of Bob's shell is good. Then about an hour later I would give some pellets , worked for me when I was in that boat.
Also a Koi based veggie pellet food will trick Bob into thinking it's regular turtle pellets. I use the koi food in the veggie and wheat forms even though Piggley eats everything in front of him just for variation.
A very few turtles just give you that sad look until you feed it. You can tease him with the food to get Bob very excited so he just gulp's it down not knowing or thinking first that it's a veggie food.
Enjoy those great colors now , as Bob grows those patterns will change and the color gets darker. He with age will look dark greenish to almost a brownish color that some say is ugly. I thinks it look's very handsome on a turtle !!!
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:43 pm   Re: Help! My Hatchling red eared slider!

litefoot wrote:I always offer the veggies first when he's the hungriest . Say a piece of red or green lettuce the size of Bob's shell is good. Then about an hour later I would give some pellets , worked for me when I was in that boat.
Also a Koi based veggie pellet food will trick Bob into thinking it's regular turtle pellets. I use the koi food in the veggie and wheat forms even though Piggley eats everything in front of him just for variation.
A very few turtles just give you that sad look until you feed it. You can tease him with the food to get Bob very excited so he just gulp's it down not knowing or thinking first that it's a veggie food.
Enjoy those great colors now , as Bob grows those patterns will change and the color gets darker. He with age will look dark greenish to almost a brownish color that some say is ugly. I thinks it look's very handsome on a turtle !!!

Thank you for the advise i appreciate it, and yeah im well aware after he grows up his colors changes drastically lol thats why im happy hes so Bright colored for now. Im still trying to get him to eat Romaine lettuce and some carrots... no luck so far im gonna try your method and give him lettuce when hes at his hungriest.
Hatchling_Bob

Previous

Return to General Care Discussion