Urgent Care :: Help!

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:43 pm   Help!

turtle pool.jpg
this is her enclosure
turtle shell nov 2, 17.jpg
shell peeling, the discoloration, and she has a black spot in the red just behind her eye.

How big is your turtle? my RES is about 8 inches from head to tail
How long have you had it? I have had her for 2 years, she was kinda pawned off on me by a friend so this is all new to me I am learning as I go

What is the water temperature? temp is 74
Did you use a thermometer? yes
Are you using a water heater? yes
How much water is in there? She has a kids large plastic pool right now
Are you using a water conditioner? no
Are you using any filtration? a zoo med canister filter 75 gal

What is the basking temperature? 82
Is there a basking light? yes
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? yes
What kind is it or what is it made out of? included a picture
Is there a UVB light? yes

What have you been trying to feed it? I have been feeding her pellets and dried shrimp. when I took her in I tried to introduce her to feeder fish and greens but she refused
When was the last time your turtle ate? today

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? picture included
Is the tank near a window? yes
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? some its in my office

Have you read the Basic Care section? most of it
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? Yes but so many and I didn't see any pictures like mine

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? no
Hopewa

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:21 am   Re: Help!

I would try to clean her up and take a close look at her shell. If there are no breaches, then a good shed or two should help tremendously.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:19 am   Re: Help!

You may want to adjust the water and basking temps. You are running them kind of cool for a RES ! Water needs to be 75-80* and basking area 10* above the water temps just to entice turtle to basks properly. Heat bulb and UVB bulb both need to be over basking area , only see one ? What type are you using ? Could it be a "MV" ?
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:43 pm   Re: Help!

Thank you both, I will double check my bulb. Is there a bulb that does both heat and UVB? I will up the water temp as well and get a separate thermo for the basking area.
Hopewa

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:49 pm   Re: Help!

Yes , but a few are very low quality and the UVB stops producing while still giving off light in a few months. I have a meter to check for myself ! Now the "mega ray" is the best and longest for producing UVB rays. Always read instructions for any UVB light placement very important. Yes cost more upfront but over time saves you money !

In my time the only accurate thermometer's are the IR type ! I have a draw full of floating type and even digitals , all having different temp.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:57 pm   Re: Help!

Thank you! and you don't think the spot behind her eye is something I need to address out side of previous discussion.?
Hopewa

Post Posted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:33 pm   Re: Help!

Can't tell for sure until you clean her up well. Older turtles coloration does change with age.
Use search box for details on getting rid of that fungus and deposits on her so we can see shell for any further problems. Must correct her setup or it will just come back.
Once you cleaned her up which most likely will take a week post photos but only when she is totally dry to show more details.
litefoot

Return to Urgent Care