Urgent Care :: can the turtles be depressed?

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:07 am   can the turtles be depressed?

about two months ago I bought two baby turtles one a red ear slider and another a painted turtle.
Well sadly my red ear slider passed away the night the Astros won the world series. I remember that day clearly that morning my family woke up and she somehow jumped off her rock and landed on her back she was swimming backwards. I don't know if turtles normally do that so I flipped her right side up. I fed them and went on with my day. right before I left to go watch the game I saw she was sleeping under the rock (which is normal) well that night after celebrating the win I realized that she was in the exact position she was right when I left... I thought that's strange but didn't really put much thought into it. the very next morning she is still in the exact same position. (normally when I turn on the lights she moves her head around and slowly opens up her eyes) This morning she didn't even move... I touched her to see if she would wake up. NOTHING.... I really got attached to the turtle and it really makes me sad because khaleesi finally started to get comfy with me. so I took her out of the tank kept her in another tank hoping she would wake up.... nothing... she started having some fuzzy stuff around her face I figured it was her body already decomposing.... God it makes me cry thinking of it.

so now my other turtle Mikey is not eating. He hasn't ate since Khaleesi died and its Monday now I'm so worried!..... I've even given him his fav dried shrimp.. he wont eat. all he is doing is basking on the rock. I'm nervous I don't want to lose him too! any suggestions? :cry:
vanessa556

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:26 am   Re: can the turtles be depressed?

I don't think turtles have the emotional capacity to feel depressed. They are smart and can get excited or bored, but more more complex emotions like depression, I don't know.
Do you know if your turtle died from some kind of illness ? Is Mickey still in the same tank ? Did you clean it ?
PokePony

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:37 am   Re: can the turtles be depressed?

not sure what my turtle died of. I did put Mikey in our old 10 gallon tank. I cleaned out all the pebbles one by one, Scrubbed my water heater down and my filter the basking rock. I do add Flukers eco clean into the tank. I clean out the tank every week. NEVER use any chemicals. Mikey is a little over an 1 1/2". Khaleesi was just under 2".
vanessa556

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:45 am   Re: can the turtles be depressed?

they used to be in a 30 gallon tank I wanted to give them more room to swim. they were in the tank for about 3 weeks maybe? I did notice that once I added the pebbles the tank stayed cleaner. that's the only thing I did different in the past two weeks...
vanessa556

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:19 pm   Re: can the turtles be depressed?

Vanessa help me understand , it's been a while since we heard from you. Khaleesi was one of the two from the pet shop? These two were put in the tank the first one from the flea market died in ? If so I would sterilize the tank also change all the filter media give it a good once over. Making sure no bacteria and or microorganisms are around. Turtles can hide problem's from us well and for a long time even a Herp Vet.

Sorry about Khaleesi , I know how it hurts , the memories of the good will last forever. It's been twelve years since Katrina took all my turtles and still hurts. But what great memories of all the good !

Now Mikey , must get him to eat ! Get some pedialyte OTC and mix 50/50 with some warm water , enough to cover Mikey's shell. You can place some food in with him for two hours. Do this twice a day. Maybe he will take in the food this way , even if he doesn't maybe will drink some during this time. The pedialyte if take in will help make him stronger then maybe will eat regular.

As the pebbles now with Mikey ! Yes may think its cleaner looking but only hiding the dirt. If they are those small pebbles from before maybe Khaleesi ate one and got a blockage then. Go bare bottom safer. In a few years once you get all down then mabe a safe substrate.

What are the temps of water and basking area . Babies need water at a consistent 80* day and night then the basking area at 90* with both heat and UVB off at night to be able to sleep. Use a timer helps to make a schedule for them.

Observe well and send photos may see something of Mikey (when dry ) and the tank !
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:57 pm   Re: can the turtles be depressed?

litefoot wrote:Vanessa help me understand , it's been a while since we heard from you. Khaleesi was one of the two from the pet shop? These two were put in the tank the first one from the flea market died in ? If so I would sterilize the tank also change all the filter media give it a good once over. Making sure no bacteria and or microorganisms are around. Turtles can hide problem's from us well and for a long time even a Herp Vet.

Sorry about Khaleesi , I know how it hurts , the memories of the good will last forever. It's been twelve years since Katrina took all my turtles and still hurts. But what great memories of all the good !

Now Mikey , must get him to eat ! Get some pedialyte OTC and mix 50/50 with some warm water , enough to cover Mikey's shell. You can place some food in with him for two hours. Do this twice a day. Maybe he will take in the food this way , even if he doesn't maybe will drink some during this time. The pedialyte if take in will help make him stronger then maybe will eat regular.

As the pebbles now with Mikey ! Yes may think its cleaner looking but only hiding the dirt. If they are those small pebbles from before maybe Khaleesi ate one and got a blockage then. Go bare bottom safer. In a few years once you get all down then mabe a safe substrate.

What are the temps of water and basking area . Babies need water at a consistent 80* day and night then the basking area at 90* with both heat and UVB off at night to be able to sleep. Use a timer helps to make a schedule for them.

Observe well and send photos may see something of Mikey (when dry ) and the tank !

so the first one from the flea market stayed in a small one gallon tank. I only use that small tank when I'm cleaning the bigger 30 gallon tank to contain the turtles. The pebbles are not small at all they are actually bigger than Mikey.Before buying Mikey and Khaleesi, My husband bought my daughter a 10 gallon tank for a new turtle the terrarium kit from Walmart. The 30 gallon tank I cleaned out and is currently out of use since Khaleesi died. the water heater I bought was the Tetra Tank Heater 10-30 Gal. it keeps it at a 78 degrees, for the heat lamp I have the Zoo Med UVB & Heat Lighting I turn the light on every morning at 6:30 am and the lights come off at 8:30 pm every night. an lastly the water filter is a AquaClear 50 Power Filter. Mikey is currently in the 10 gallon tank. all he seems to do is just bask in under the heat lamp. he did go for a swim today after I put some food in but he didn't take a bit I will take pictures in a bit and upload them. and I will def try the pedialyte mixture you suggested.
vanessa556

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:09 pm   Re: can the turtles be depressed?

It also could be the change of seasons ? Some turtles do respond this way.

I would still try some pedialyte mixture just in case , will not hurt , and observe well for any other changes.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:16 pm   Re: can the turtles be depressed?

IMG_1932.JPG
Khaleesi a week before she passed away.
Attachments
IMG_2138.jpg
hanging out in his usual spot
IMG_2136.jpg
mikey in the 10 gallon tank
IMG_2141.jpg
Mikey today
vanessa556

Post Posted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:32 pm   Re: can the turtles be depressed?

Ok about the rocks thought you may still have those small colored rock , see river rocks now , much better.

Is the UVB a tube light in that perpendicular fixture and the heat in the round fixture ?

May want to adjust Mikey's diet come spring when he's back to normal eating . Turtles don't eat real big in winter as spring. His growth lines are a little big for his size.

Good read here : http://www.redearslider.com/pellets.html
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:25 am   Re: can the turtles be depressed?

Ok UPDATE! Mikey is doing beter1 he is finally eating doing his super man stance and swimming following my finger on the glass! so happy!
vanessa556

Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:45 am   Re: can the turtles be depressed?

Good for Mikey and you !

I do believe turtles try to tell us things by the way they act . Piggley gives me lessons all the time ! It's our part to learn turtle talk.

Adjust his diet to be well varied , balanced and nutritious . On the top header read the nutrition section will help.
litefoot

Return to Urgent Care