Habitat - Indoor :: Fluval FX4 versus FX6

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:45 pm   Fluval FX4 versus FX6

Hello I was wondering if anyone could give me a suggestion on which filter to go with. This would be for two red ear sliders. Is the FX4 a good choice and can keep up with the waste from two turtles, or is it better to just go with the FX6? Is it necessary to have the third layer of filter material the FX6 has to take care of turtles, or can the two that the FX4 suffice?
jbaccanti

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:29 am   Re: Fluval FX4 versus FX6

Hello,
I have a FX6 on one of my tanks and I can say that it is a fine filter. To judge which filter would work best for your situation would require more information. Tank size, turtle size and the number of gallons of water would assist in providing you with a better answer. The herpetologists at our zoo recommend a filter capable of 2-3 times the filtration of a similar sized aquarium stocked with fish. Obviously a larger filter within reason would be beneficial. Below is a quick comparison of the two filters....

FX4////////////////// FX6

For tanks up to//// 250 gallons (1000 liters)//// 400 gallons (1500 liters)
Pump output //// 700 Gal/h (2650 L/h)//// 925 Gal/h (3500 L/h)
Flow rate //// 450 Gal/h (1700 L/h)//// 563 Gal/h (2130 L/h)
Filtration capacity ////3.7 gallons (14 L)//// 5.28 gallons (20 L)
Head height (max.)//// 6.9 ft (2.1 m)//// 10.8 ft (3.3 m)
Wattages //// 30 W (120V/60Hz)//// 43 W (120V/60Hz)

....and a link for some extra reading. Please post which filter you decide to purchase.

https://lovefishtank.com/fluval-fx6-canister-filter/

Good luck!!!!
Bearcub

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:21 am   Re: Fluval FX4 versus FX6

For a lot of beginners it's the initial cost of a setup. Look at it as a long time investment helps. Both are great filters ! The FX4 being an older model is rarely ever on sale . The new version of the FX6 was and sometimes is still on sale more often. Last black Friday you could get FX6 for $170 ! If one shops around well and use price trackers there's not a big difference on prices maybe $20-$30 to go to an FX6 for a lot more filter. Again both are great ! The "6" will be the last filter you ever need. It's having enough water volume to better control the waters parameters with media setup for a turtle and maintain a cycled tank so a good filter can do it's job. My FX6 has no extra pads on each level , especially no polishing pads they only clog up faster and you know how we all love doing maintenance. The outer white pads and one pad on top to protect media as water goes down the center and a bag with carbon then one with purigen. All the other space is filled with bio rings. If you may think a FX6 would have to much flow you can always play with the outlet nozzle and or crank it down some . That where 10 gallons of water for every inch of turtle shell come's to play. Not only more swimming room but mainly for us to control a cycle better . Bearcub's zoo is correct 2-3x's flow needed. I always used for a baby 2x's flow of what fish need , juveniles 3-4x's flow and adults 4-5x's flow and has proven to be good to me. Most filters are rated for fish and come with media for fish. Turtles are messy and need more flow and media setup for a turtle. It depends on size of tank and how much water in it. To me a 50 gallon full with an "ATBA"or larger tank a FX6 is great ! Just work with the outlet nozzle some for a flow you want. Piggley and I love it , always crystal clear water with the media setup I use with 125 gallons of water in a 150 gallon stock tank. One must be realistic for a filter , If you only have 10 gallons of water yes an FX is a no . That's like having a jet engine in a VW ? For 50 gallons or larger yes would be great either one the 4 or 6.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:32 pm   Re: Fluval FX4 versus FX6

The turtles are both about 10 years old and I would guess about 10", I havn't used an actual tape measure. The tank is small at the moment due to our living arrangement at 55 gallons, but that will change after winter is over.
I'm leaning towards the fx4, as it seems the fx6 would be too much now, and that the fx4 should suffice for a bigger tank in the spring.
The fx4 is on sale in store at petsmart for $178 through Dec 3rd.
I haven't been able to find either filter even close to that price anywhere.
On another note, I've read somewhere on this forum (or it may have been another. I've been doing so much searching) that you can dial back the flow on the outlet side of the pump if needed, what are your views on that? I was thinking if that was true, then I might be able to plumb a hydro heater inline on the outlet side, which would reduce the house size to 5/8" and act as a restriction, but I don't want to hurt the pump either. Would it hurt an impeller type pump?
jbaccanti

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:27 pm   Re: Fluval FX4 versus FX6

For decades I always made DIY filter's or now the FX6 that have impeller type pump. You never want to crank down or restrict the flow going into the filter because it can pump all the water out of it running impeller dry and motor can burn up by overheating . Ever hear an impeller with air trapped around it. Noise , vibrations until it cracks the impeller. Power goes out and filter doesn't prime itself again and motor burns out. Always use the outlet side allowing water in filter all the time.
The 5/8's restriction is a lot , those FX hoses are about an inch and maybe more depending on what transition fitting used. That's over 50% restriction. I always had oversized pumps but I never crank or restrict any more that 30%. That 50% (+ or - ) to 5/8 would create lots of back pressure. Maybe a DIY header or splitter that's valved control could work , I do so homework on that. A ball type valve would be less restrictive.
Will your heater now work in a larger tank when you upgrade later or is it time for a new one / type / size ? Just me , I would not restrict 50% on any filter , others may have a different opinion ?
I have seen FX6's on 55 gallons and there are a few on this forum that use a 6 on that size tank with just a little cranking down and modifying the outlet some. You can do wonders playing around with the outlet , myself I keep the nozzle off for an open pipe. That works great for what Piggley and I want. Also by placement of decorations driftwood and caves etc I create an underwater flow that's controllable. Being I have a stock tank that must be viewed from the top I don't want all that surface agitation. Turtles breath like us so I don't need any extra oxygen in the water. My plants and air stone creates enough. Hope some that actually use a 6 on a 55 gallon will chime in.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:02 pm   Re: Fluval FX4 versus FX6

I was afraid that may be to much restriction as well, but was unsure. I could split it out as I've seen some people do in the forum, but I wanted to have just one hose going back into the tank. I could maybe rejoin it on the other side of the heater, just not sure how much efficiency i'd lose, and don't want to make the heater be a dead leg. the main hose would be the the path of least resistance, but some water should still go through the heater leg. I would also think the higher speed of the water in the main line passing by the heater outlet line would also induce a slight venturi effect. Maybe I could put a valve on the main line between the two splits to regulate the main down some to entice more flow through the heater.
Attachments
PossibleHeaterPlumbing.jpg
jbaccanti

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:12 pm   Re: Fluval FX4 versus FX6

Always nice to see someone doing there homework it pays off. The concern is what flow is needed of the heater to work correctly , do you remember ? Most reputable companies with inline devices like heater or even UV sterilizers gives you the flow rate needed. If unknown maybe you can find it out on there web site. Yes above diagram is good and yes agree you would need a valve to get the proper flow you need to heater.
Off the top of my head , being old , I forgot the formula to measure flow rate but sure you can find on the internet easy so you can run test to be sure it's correct. That is once you find correct flow needed for the heater , I would not guess.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:04 pm   Re: Fluval FX4 versus FX6

I don't see any specs on flow rate requirements or limits on the manufacturer website. Are there other brands of inline heaters? All the searches I come up with all talk about the Hydor brand, but if there are others that are reliable then I could look into them as well. I see on review sites that one heater is capable of heating 100+ gallons with ease. So I might be able to get away with using the same heater once I get a larger tank, or if needed, I could always put a second heater inline and run them in parallel.
jbaccanti

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:04 pm   Re: Fluval FX4 versus FX6

I will do some homework myself to help. Sure they have recommendations somewhere on a flow. I always setup a 150 gallon tank even for a baby so space is no problem for an submersible heater. Eheim Jager to me are great and turtle tough ! No need for an inline but they are good in smaller tank's to save swimming room ! I know for a sterilizer it's critical for what you want to kill. Seems like there would be a best flow rate for an inline heater to be more efficient. After my Saint's game will look too. I just don't like having two more connections outside the tank , possible leaks ?
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:33 pm   Re: Fluval FX4 versus FX6

I currently have a non-glass heater submersed in the tank, with a protective coil around the wire, but looking to make the connection external. The turtles are quite destructive and want to eliminate any possible chance of them electrocuting themselves. I once used a heater described as being turtle tuff, and they were able to destroy the protective exterior and tried to eat the glass heater breaking it. There was even a slight charge to the tank, how they didn't electrocute themselves, who knows. As destructive as they are I'm even looking at ways to encage the intake for the FX4 in some sort of cage to proactively prevent them from eating it. They are also good at un-suction cupping just about everything.
jbaccanti

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:50 pm   Re: Fluval FX4 versus FX6

Not having much luck finding info on that flow , not many companies even produce those.

Every use a heater guard ?

Use egg crate to make a cage for the intake maybe .

You don't use a GFI ?
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:19 pm   Re: Fluval FX4 versus FX6

The heater I mentioned was specifically marketed for turtles and was completely enclosed in a slotted plastic enclosure. The turtles chewed it apart and split it open to munch on the heater. here is a link to it https://www.amazon.com/Tetra-26445-Aquatic-Reptile-Heater/dp/B000IWXHMI/ref=sr_1_4?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1511750616&sr=1-4&keywords=turtle+heater

You know I never thought of GFI for some reason, had to do some research myself after you mentioned that. I wasn't sure if it would work with everything being two wire, but I guess it does. I discovered the reason the turtles would have been ok was that there was no path to ground so they would be just fine floating in their insulated glass tank (like the birds you see sitting on the high voltage power lines). I on the other hand could have been injured if I touched it and provided the path to ground. Thats when a GFI would kick in. Evidently there was not enough of a short to trip the breaker, but what might have tripped if I had one would be an AFCI. I might have to look into getting a combination GFCI/AFCI outlet.

I was thinking of some sort of stainless mesh to make a cylinder around the intake.
jbaccanti

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:24 am   Re: Fluval FX4 versus FX6

Lets say electricity and water doesn't mix , safety first !

That link is a per set type and only for up to 30 gallons of water also that preset one is very inaccurate.

You really want one that is thermocontroled.

Simplest way for safety is get a "power strip" with gfci/afci or you could just change the wall plug if handy ?
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:04 pm   Re: Fluval FX4 versus FX6

That heater was from a while ago, just an example of their destructive tendencies.
I'm planning on getting a new outlet to install in the wall.
Where do you get eggcrate, does the local hardware stores like lowes or home depot carry it?
jbaccanti

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:05 pm   Re: Fluval FX4 versus FX6

litefoot

Next

Return to Habitat - Indoor