Habitat - Indoor :: 2 Turtles and a 36 gallon Tank

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:22 pm   2 Turtles and a 36 gallon Tank

So, I'm new to the site but have been learning a lot from you all. I wanted to know if two(2) Red Eared Sliders would fit in a 36 gallon tank.
Here's a link to the tank: https://www.petsmart.com/fish/tanks-aquariums-and-nets/aquariums/aqueon-36-gallon-led-aquarium-ensemble-5262173.html

We currently have one(1) hatchling in this tank and it's more than enough room for it. I've thinking of giving it a playmate sometime next month. It's has more depth than width, would two(2) RES be comfortable in this tank?
Tank Size: 33 in x 17.5 in x 52 in

Thanks in advance for your help!
bkdragon31

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:18 pm   Re: 2 Turtles and a 36 gallon Tank

Hello and welcome,

I would not get a play mate. Turtles do very well on there own. Reason , with babies you can not tell sex until they are sexual mature and by then you have a problem so need to separate them.

Two males will just fight for territory. Male and female , the male will just harass female for sex until she hurt's him. Two females may/can work out and that's if you get two with the same personality's , chances of that are very slim.

Another good rule is 10 gallons of water for every inch of shell. This is not just for more swimming room but to be able to control the waters parameters for a cycled tank.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:16 am   Re: 2 Turtles and a 36 gallon Tank

I know that some people have problems with their RES, but others are very successful. I also believe in enrichment for your pets and letting them behave like they would do in the wild is the best when it comes to reptile, that also means them not being isolated.

What litefoot said is like a baseline for people because usually turtle pets are kept in tanks not large enough for two turtles to chill and act natural, and have the space to hide/swim away if there is a problem.

You'll be fine with two hatchlings in a 36 gal, but depending on how fast they grow you'll have to buy a bigger tank sooner or later. If you have the space and money, go for it. Just have a second (appropriated) tank at your place, in case your turtles cannot be together anymore. You might think it's fine for a few years and then problem arises.
PokePony

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:51 am   Re: 2 Turtles and a 36 gallon Tank

Good follow up PokePony. My reply's are getting shorter with age and sometimes are only baselines. Thanks' for the input ! Working together helps all.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:38 am   Re: 2 Turtles and a 36 gallon Tank

I really appreciate the inputs.

Thanks for the replies!
bkdragon31

Return to Habitat - Indoor