Habitat - Indoor :: How to create simple cover & basking area?

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:39 am   How to create simple cover & basking area?

Right now my aquarium has turtle bank basking area and it's not bad but it's not perfect either because my 5.5 inch turtle has trouble getting on it. He also recently learned to escape the tank by climbing onto basking area and then lamp clip so I really need some quick solution to stop him from escaping (that's priority). I had to take his basking platform out because he just won't stop trying to escape (he was chilling in peace until he learned he can escape his tank).

I found those corner things at my local shop and I thought of using them somehow, like gluing some kind of metal crate to them or something?

Help me out here, please.
FTR

Post Posted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:52 pm   Re: How to create simple cover & basking area?

Hello and welcome,

Turtles are great escape artist !

How about using something like a light diffuser cut to fit above basking area real simple easy to cut and works. Tie it to the tank or make clips to hold it on.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Li ... /100579509
Attachments
IMG_20170212_110311099_HDR.jpg
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:11 am   Re: How to create simple cover & basking area?

Hello :)

That's interesting idea. I am just concerned about turtle pushing it up and potentially breaking something or hurting himself, perhaps I should lower the water level. For now my water level is quite high because I wanted his floating basking area to be closer to the heat lamp because the bulb I have is a bit weak (50watt anti splash bulb, he is splashing a lot).

How about welded mesh?
FTR

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:21 am   Re: How to create simple cover & basking area?

You could always use a tee brace or bracket in area of concern for extra strength. When I had large females I spanned across the front of the diffuser a 1" aluminum angle iron attached all the way to the sides lots of strength. Overkill but was for a 5' tank with very large basking area along the hold back of tank.

Welded wire works but you may have to make some kind of frame for it. If you have a normal size or small basking area you really only need something in that area , simple.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:17 pm   Re: How to create simple cover & basking area?

Does your tank have a rim (for a hood)? If so, you can build something that will fit within it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:21 pm   Re: How to create simple cover & basking area?

My tank doesn't have any rims unfortunately. Would painted aluminum be good for tank cover? Like this
FTR

Post Posted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:08 am   Re: How to create simple cover & basking area?

I don't know what painted aluminum is, but I do know aluminum is usually a very reactive material so I wouldn't work with that, except if you use it only for the cover.
PokePony

Post Posted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:55 pm   Re: How to create simple cover & basking area?

If it's also thin, you will need a simple wooded frame to hold it. Or depending on the tank, you can clamp it down.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor