Other Turtle Discussion :: Temporary indoor care

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:22 am   Temporary indoor care

Hi

The temperature outside will be in the 40s for a week so I'm bringing slider inside. I don't have indoor tank. Any tips how to care for her? I gave some large bins..not sure what to do about food and water. Usually I just have to do this for a couple of days but it's going to be cold here for a while. Thank you.
Yaddle

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:37 pm   Re: Temporary indoor care

Are you still in Huston ? I'm in New Orleans and this front went from 84* yesterday to tonight 40* or lower by the weekend.

When I had several stock tanks outside I would wrap them in : https://www.lowes.com/pd/Johns-Manville ... -L/3010706
That type for less itch sealed in plastic ! Tie it around tank.
Also make a plexiglass top to cover all the 150 gallon tanks that I used , making it like a spa. I would have one hole cut above basking area for a heat lamp. I used a 100 watt bulb for heat. Adjust wattage as needed. Or use a water proof dimmer with a big wattage bulb to fine tune the temp instead of trying several different sizes until right one is found. But I think a 100 watt for the 40's will do. When it would get in the 30's I add a water heater. Myself used a 300 watt water heater on those nights /days. Hopefully tank in reach with an extension cord? Done that for years and held the correct warmth in with no problems. Done that before Katrina but today lots older just one 150 gallon indoors for my Piggley.

40's not real bad wrap once or twice around the // that is hoping you still have that 400 gallon stock tank outside ? Even just use plywood with hole above basking area for a water proof fixture for warmth temporary. In time you can make a more perermint cover like I did with plexiglass that is removed and stored for the summer. Your girl must be over 8" by now and older turtles can handle a little cooler temps. Making her regular home outside into a spa can work so not to stress her out in a temporary small container she's not familiar with indoors.

Before the plexiglass I used cheap foam board and even a tarp at one time to cover the top's with a hole for a heat lamp. This method work for me even back when it was freezing for a week one time , holding temp's great ! An outdoor turtle spa.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:19 pm   Re: Temporary indoor care

Yes I'm in Houston thanks. This will be her third year outside in the stock tank. Those are some good ideas for the future but I don't have the time to make it all now. How does that all work in the rain? I don't know about electrical stuff outside.... Thank you
Yaddle

Post Posted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:27 pm   Re: Temporary indoor care

An "outdoor fixture" and a grounded extension cord is what I used for years with no problems. A good outdoor fixture would have a ceramic socket for large wattage bulbs so no problem there. You could DIY a rain shield for extra protection on the fixture if you want. Some flashing would work for that. Now a days all home are required by code to be grounded. If plug is not you can always replace old receptacle with a GFI type.

Today you may find a kiddy pool or a large tote that can hold water for indoors ? Offer some kind of light along with basking area for a few days.

At the time I used that method it was because I had 6 - 150 gallon stock tanks outside , impossible to move all inside. Also I did not want them to hibernate/brumate that's too dangerous.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:42 pm   Re: Temporary indoor care

Electrical stuff over my head ha. Thanks though.
Yaddle

Return to Other Turtle Discussion