Other Turtle Discussion :: looking for new a turtle

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:35 am   looking for new a turtle

So I had 2 baby res but one died today, I have no clue why it died. He was eating and basking normal had them for about a month. Upset and confused as to why he died. Shell was fine was active and everything till today. He spent most the day basking I couldnt get him to eat. Then he went under my tree trunk basking thing and just died. But anyway anyone know a good site to order from that will make sure it would have heat packs in. Its winter in pa. The site I ordered from didn't put a heat pack in so they almost died the day they arrived so I don't want to go to that site again but I don't want my turtle to be alone so I want another
Menaxe93

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:24 am   Re: looking for new a turtle

Sorry for your lost. It may of been sick from day one from that online company you used just looking for a sale. Also you said had a rough trip to you ? With babies we sometimes never know. Your post Dec 17th all was fine ?
For now I would keep just the one until you get all down pat. Turtles do great by themselves ! Most do better on there own , no personality problems or aggression . Also observe well ! If any thing the other had was contagious , turtles hide problems well even to a Herp Vet?

Most reputable companies like "The turtle Source " have certain temperature ranges they ship in winter and or summer , (heat / ice packs or not ) so you would not be able to get one from a reputable company now. Nasha is a great help and Marc is very knowledgeable ! I would stay with the one for awhile ! If not be very careful on who will ship in this artic freeze.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:22 am   Re: looking for new a turtle

Sorry to hear the news. I agree, best to wait and concentrate on the other one. Besides, if it turns out to be a male, you will be glad to have only the one.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:06 pm   Re: looking for new a turtle

The issue when I ordered them was they sat outside for about 2 hours cause the ups driver dropped them off next door. The " heat " pack was rock hard looked like a big hand warmer but it didn't work to well.

I guess ill just wait for the winter to be over then try the turtle source
Menaxe93

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:07 pm   Re: looking for new a turtle

Don't understand the issue with males.... I had 2 male alligator snappers together for about 1 year they were fine
Menaxe93

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:25 pm   Re: looking for new a turtle

Snappers are in the chelydridae family and RES are in the emydidae family. Totally different. You can have several snappers in same pond and could care less. They are designed to hide and wait so to ambush it dinner. Actually very peaceful turtles as long as you don't mess with them. They just got a bad name.
Sliders to me have that dominance gene and are very territorial especially with males. In my decades in hobby and at the center I myself have never seen two RES males get along once they reach sexual maturity. Just one of those things in nature. Some say they have two RES male that get along but in time ( sexual maturity ) they will as some be posting in Urgent Care due to fights. That happens more so when some people keep adult males in a small 40 gallon tank. Even in my in ground pond before Katrina some would fight ! That's how I ended up with 6-150 gallon stock tanks (separation) to have happy and healthy turtles.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:28 pm   Re: looking for new a turtle

Ok I understand now, I figured it wouldn't be a issue cause just didn't seem like turtles would be like that. I wonder how petco and petsmart get away with housing their turtles together.. No i won't buy any type of pet from there I know how they are but anyway so you'd only suggest ordering from turtlesource [not reputable].com ?
Menaxe93

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:49 pm   Re: looking for new a turtle

Be careful some names are about the same. The Turtle Store is a no to me. I know first hand " The Turtle Source " Marc runs a reputable company and is very knowledgeable ! Also has the credentials to go along with . Nasha is very good to !

LPS turtles and fish are only together for a short time , that business has a fast turn around , illness and problems are not an issue for them that is until you get it home. Watch sometimes a pet not sold fast will be to the point you want to call the Humane Society and I do. You can find stories about that online and this forum. Some have no idea how to care for and only go by what the company says to do and or sell what has a high profit margin.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:05 pm   Re: looking for new a turtle

Ok ill check that website out then..
Menaxe93

Return to Other Turtle Discussion