Urgent Care :: Please RES people help!!

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:54 pm   Please RES people help!!

Hi, I’m new to this place and thought it might be useful to ask for people’s opinions on this forum. I have a 2 year old, female RES turtle, and lately I have noticed her eyes are swollen. I know that it has to do with vitamin A deficiency (however, her pallets contain vitamin A as it says so on the box). And she’s also not eating at all, I keep her UV light on for 14 hours a day and turn it off for the rest. Could that be the reason? Is that why her water turns cold ? I don’t trust the light anymore so I have to add warm water to her tank every like 40 minuets. I’m worried sick and I live in a very small village where there’s only two veterinary clinics that are only familiar with goats and sheeps. I have acquired a spray bottle from the veterinarian but I won’t use it. It doesn’t look like it’s made for turtles. It says on the bottle “clear eye spray. Gentamicin, Dexamethasone... for Topical Ophthalmic.” Are there any home remedies I can try? I tried every veterinary doctor in the village and they don’t know what to do. Opinions? https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/16228858_1658277464468534_2870280022046801920_n.jpg
Resworldwide19

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:37 pm   Re: Please RES people help!!

Vitamin A deficiencies are easy to resolve (apply some cod liver oil to the eyes), so this could be related to UV lights, an illness or injury.

What is the UV light you're using? A UV light does not produce a lot of heat unless its an expensive mercury vapor bulb. In any case, you do not rely on a lamp to produce heat to warm the water, only the basking platform. And most people have two bulbs, one for heat, one for UVB.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:23 pm   Re: Please RES people help!!

Ok, the Cod liver oil is it something specific for turtles? Or can I use the one available at the stores for humans? And should I use the spray bottle? I personally haven’t used it on my RES yet, I’m afraid of blinding her.
Resworldwide19

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:18 pm   Re: Please RES people help!!

Yeah, its a supplement for humans. You open up a capsule to get to the oil. I would hold off on the spray.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:19 pm   Re: Please RES people help!!

Thank you so much, your help is much appreciated.
Resworldwide19

Return to Urgent Care