Feeding and Nutrition :: I'm wondering how often to feed certain things.

Turtle diets and eating habits discussed here.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:57 am   I'm wondering how often to feed certain things.

Hey guys, so I've kind of been struggling a little bit with my adult red eared slider's diet here. Ill just first tell you guys what I'm giving now. So, EVERY day I give him a couple of leaves of romaine lettuce on his lettuce clip, if I see its empty that day I replace them. I also give him a small chunk of cuttlebone everyday. Every OTHER day, I give him enough pellets to fit in his head and the same lettuce and cuttlebone. I just recently bought some freeze dried river shrimp and was wondering how often to feed those too. I give him around 1 everyday.

If any of this seems very wrong, please tell me, I'm trying to keep Wilson happy and healthy.

I've also heard to buy many different types of commercial pellets and change the type of pellets every time I feed, I'll start doing that soon.
WillyBoi

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:15 pm   Re: I'm wondering how often to feed certain things.

How big is the river shrimp? A small amount once a week or twice a month is probably OK. Have you looked into other veggies?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:40 pm   Re: I'm wondering how often to feed certain things.

steve wrote:How big is the river shrimp? A small amount once a week or twice a month is probably OK. Have you looked into other veggies?

The shrimp aren't very big, you can sort of the see the size of them in the picture on here: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostor ... ver-shrimp (Sorry, cant use imgur right now)

I have tried a couple other veggies but only a couple times, I've tried grated carrots (really messy), I've tried red bell peppers (don't know if he liked or not because I just left them on veggie clip and didn't see him eat them), I've tried red leaf lettuce.

Do you have any suggestions for the kind of veggies to feed and when to feed them??
WillyBoi

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:38 pm   Re: I'm wondering how often to feed certain things.

You tried the main ones. Cucumber is also good. There are some fruits to try as well. Maybe you need to make your own veggie treat until they get the taste for it.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:59 pm   Re: I'm wondering how often to feed certain things.

steve wrote:You tried the main ones. Cucumber is also good. There are some fruits to try as well. Maybe you need to make your own veggie treat until they get the taste for it.

Aren't fruits bad for them? They give them diarrhea? And what do you mean veggie treat?
WillyBoi

Post Posted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:02 pm   Re: I'm wondering how often to feed certain things.

A small amount of fruit can be used as a treat, but you dont have too. Strawberry, blueberry, and banana are good but can be messy. As for veggie treat, look at the Jell-O shot recipe page.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Feeding and Nutrition