Habitat - Indoor :: New owner - question about tank setup

Turtle tank setups and other indoor configurations.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:13 pm   New owner - question about tank setup

We 'adopted' two 6" RES over the weekend and the habitat provided was woefully inadequate. We replaced the 20 gallon tank with a 55 gallon and seemingly appropriate filter/light set up. Our setup is REALLY basic right now but we are adding as we go. I am having trouble determining which direction the outflow on my pump needs to go. I have messed around with different configurations of the spout and spray bar but don't really know how it should be positioned.

The light setup is a 5.0 UVB and 50w heat lamp. It looks dim to me.. but I do have another light available if I need to place one on the left hand side. Does it need to be a UVB or regular light, or do I have adequate lighting already?

What else do I need to go out and buy immediately? We will be leaving for a few days and will have someone else tending to the house. I have a daily feeder and light timer on the way that will be set up before we leave.
Attachments
20180829_175619.jpg
Filter
20180829_175600.jpg
Tank
sasiki

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:58 pm   Re: New owner - question about tank setup

The lighting looks OK, have you measured the basking temps? The spray bar looks OK, it could be even submerged a bit more to quiet it down. What's the water temperature? You should have a couple of good thermometers to check and double check. Do you have your equipment plugged into a GFCI? You might also want to have timers for the lamps. What are you feeding them? Do you know their genders?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:17 pm   Re: New owner - question about tank setup

I've actually already tilted it some to decrease noise hah. Water temp is room temp, 75. I do have a thermometer on the inside of the tank. Equipment is not on GFCI. I do have a timer on the way. I am currently feeding juvenile reptomin as that's what they came with, but I will be receive some Omega One sticks tomorrow. Basking area gets up to 85. It's currently a 50w bulb. I may experiment with a 75w. I will get a tank heater for winter. We are in coastal AL so we only have about 2 months of winter. Based on info we have read here, we think they are about 4 year old females.

Do I need to get any other bare minimum accessories for now other than a hiding spot?
sasiki

Post Posted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:42 am   Re: New owner - question about tank setup

As for basics, I think you're good. Two females might overgrow your setup pretty quickly though.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Habitat - Indoor