General Care Discussion :: Introducing baby turtle to larger turtle help?

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:15 pm   Introducing baby turtle to larger turtle help?

I have a red ear slider(Sir Dangershell).. about 3.5 inches that I have had for a few years, I recently got a baby painted eastern turtle (1 inch) (Bowser) and was wondering what the best way to introduce them was?
I'm really worried that Sir Dangershell(older) will see him as food and try to eat my lil baby. especially because he sometimes eats live fish about the same size...

any suggestions? :mrgreen:
nessiesorethon

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:32 pm   Re: Introducing baby turtle to larger turtle help?

While terrapins tend not to eat each other, the size difference is a bit much especially when the smaller one is a hatchling. Plus, if Sir Dangershell is still only 3.5, he is likely a male and more aggressive. So I would let Bowser get a bit bigger and see how they do together, but always have a plan for separation.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:38 pm   Re: Introducing baby turtle to larger turtle help?

Any pictures of what you have now for a setup ? Water volume , dimension's of tank , basking area , hiding spots ...
Sure you have read all the reason's not to do this and there are many. Especially when different sizes ! No one can watch them 24/7 . Don't assume if you watch them for a straight hour all is good. Things will happen and your baby will pay the price.
I can understand wanting another , can't resist that adorable baby face , but ...

Say if you have something like a 75 gallon glass tank maybe if lots of hiding spots but they are only 18"s wide and are very limmited in what you can do. If a stock tank type much wider closest to that size would be a 70 gallon and they are 32"s wide , able to offer much more protected areas to hide in. There is no guarantee , turtles will be turtles. Also when both are sexualy mature , well that opens up a new set of problems.

You for safety may want separate tank's for them being different sizes. A few people are lucky and do put different sizes together ( not hatchling) but that day to seperate will come. Lot's to think about when we put living anamials in our care. Sir Dangershell at 3.5" is getting close to sexualy maturity , myself would not put a baby painted with him/her. Doing this 55 years and seen don't more than compatible turtles. Your call , no secret suggestions.
litefoot

Return to General Care Discussion