Urgent Care :: Turtle Vomit

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:08 pm   Turtle Vomit

Okay, so I went to feed my YBS April this evening (usual time) and when she got down to get her food, once she entered the water she sank down and threw up. It sounds disgusting but it look similar to human snot. It wasn't very much, but she immediately started to eat her pellets. She has never done anything like this before, and I was just wondering if this was "normal" or something I should worry about.
22webbm

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:52 am   Re: Turtle Vomit

Could it be she ate too much, too quickly? Go to a light, simple pellet diet for a couple of days and check for any more irregularities.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:52 pm   Re: Turtle Vomit

steve wrote:Could it be she ate too much, too quickly? Go to a light, simple pellet diet for a couple of days and check for any more irregularities.

Thank you! She has been acting pretty normal so far, I will keep a watch out for anything else
22webbm

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:23 am   Re: Turtle Vomit

Alright. She just threw up again. It almost looks like she is coughing before, she is underwater though. This time she opened her mouth and left it open. She started to try and scrape her mouth with her claws. This was just right after she woke up. Other than that her breathing has been "loud" for the past few weeks but I haven't changed anything other than the pellets about a week and a half ago, but she still has eaten them. I switched from ZooMed to Wardley pellets, I'm not sure if that would be doing this or not.. She's been shedding scutes and basking a lot. I have gone light on her food like you suggested.
22webbm

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:16 am   Re: Turtle Vomit

It's possible that she ate some of her scutes or something in the tank and cut her mouth or throat even some were internal. Turtles do eat there scutes. Just me for my baby , I would "not" wait for any other abnormal signs complicating what's going on. I would see a vet that treats turtles , a Herp Vet. Delaying action since it's been three days will only make it harder for a Herp Vet. If anything like above he/she can be treating / correcting early so to prevent any type of infection and more problems. I hope April will be ok.
Last edited by litefoot on Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:21 am   Re: Turtle Vomit

Any other odd behavior? Did she throw up the same thing? I agree with litefoot, you might want to look into a herp vet in case you need their services.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:21 pm   Re: Turtle Vomit

Alright, thank you guys, I really appreciate the advice. I will look for a vet that is close by and try to get her in
22webbm

Post Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:19 pm   Re: Turtle Vomit

The closest vet to me that accepts "reptiles" is about an hour away. I have emailed them to see if the would see my turtle. I let them know about what was going on. I really hope they can get me in soon! I will keep you guys posted
22webbm

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:27 am   Re: Turtle Vomit

Any update to how she's doing? If she does vomit again, you might want to try to get a sample of it incase it's not food-related.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:00 pm   Re: Turtle Vomit

I have not heard back from the vet yet. I think I will call them today or tomorrow if I do not hear from them. I agree that I should get a sample. I have also tried to get videos of what has happened (other than the first time). Hopefully we can figure out what is happening. :msgreen:
22webbm

Post Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:15 pm   Re: Turtle Vomit

A sample is good to bring and the video too. Once may of been ok but since it's been more times for her she needs to be checked out.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:42 am   Re: Turtle Vomit

Alright, now I have noticed four new things.
1. her closing her right eye a lot. When she goes to eat she will close her right eye, or when she is just basking I have noticed it as well.
2. her breathing has gotten very loud. I took her out of her tank this morning to look at her and noticed he water seemed colder than usual. I got some "warm" water and put it and her in a tub. She sat perfectly still as if she was letting it all soak in. I let her lay around in there until I noticed the water cooling off. As she was in there I noticed she was breathing out of her mouth.
3. over the past couple days she will wake up and have the vomit substance all around her mouth already. When she wakes up she immediately starts to cough it all up.
4. When she is underwater I have seen a few times that she has little air bubbles outside her nostrils...

I haven't heard from the vet! Could this be RI? I'm getting very worried!!! She is still swimming around quite a bit and seems to want to eat a lot... I'm not sure what's going on... :oops:
22webbm

Post Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:08 am   Re: Turtle Vomit

I said do not wait for more signs. Turtles hide problems well from an untrained eye. A vet could have ran test to see what's going on. Treatment early would of been easier for a vet and your turtle. More abnormal signs now will complicate any treatment a Vet may offer. A few test can tell if RI or something else. You can not treat at home with over the counter drugs if RI . Don't wait for any more signs , see a vet . If no response from that vet // did you call them back...call any qualified veterinarian care. Going eight days for your turtle without treatment. Your turtle is a living animal under your care. Please... Two very long time turtles keepers both said look into a turtle / Herp Vet ! Myself only in this hobby 55 years... your turtle needs help/treatment from a Vet. Please for the turtle.

Respiratory infection's are common and can be deadly if not caught early ! If it is a RI then only test will tell // if goes into Pneumonia many cases are fatal !
Please read : http://www.redearslider.com/major_illne ... uries.html

Choosing a vet : http://www.redearslider.com/choose_vet.html
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:27 am   Re: Turtle Vomit

Symptoms 2 and 3 are worrisome... especially 3. I would check with other vets... don't wait.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care