General Care Discussion :: Turtle shell condition.

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:53 pm   Turtle shell condition.

I just got a two year old red eared slider about a month ago. I am his third owner. When i got him his shell was already pyramiding and his shell is rough. Is this normal? if not is there a way I can fix it. Also when I take my turtle out to run around he just runs to a corner and hides. Is there a way I can help get him accustomed to being out of his tank or would it be best to just leave him there. My last question is, for a 5 inch turtle, is a 60 gallon tank big enough. Thanks!
Rocky17

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:19 am   Re: Turtle shell condition.

At 2 years, he or she is kind of big. The shell should be smooth regardless of age, so the pyramiding is likely permanent. As for being rough, can you be more descriptive or post a picture?

There are few reasons to take a turtle out of it's tank... but it's natural for them to hide, especially if they are not used to their surroundings.

RE: tank size, it's fine now but you will probably need one a little bigger if it's a male, and one approximately twice the size if you have a female.At 5", you should be able to determine that.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:18 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

I am not 100% sure about his age, i was told that he was around 2. He is definitely 5 inches since i measured him. He is a male. As for it being rough I don't know how to describe it, are there any sites that I can post a picture without having to pay?
Last edited by Rocky17 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocky17

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:21 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

In terms of the shell being rough, could it be because his scutes haven't shed yet ( or at least not that I can see ).
Rocky17

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:17 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

Hi and welcome , You can use a site like "Imgur" or do it yourself on your computer. A regular picture is too big 3296x2472 so just resize it. Right click on picture window opens click on edit then resize to about 800x800 and "save" to fit on forum.
litefoot

Post Posted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:38 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

Rocky17

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:39 am   Re: Turtle shell condition.

It's only been a month takes some turtles longer to adjust to new home. Your slider is an aquatic turtle not all of them like to be out the water makes them feel safer than being on a floor.
Offer it more water in your 60 gallon tank they love to swim as much as bask. Maybe fill it for his size and DIY a above tank basking area?
His shell yes is pyramiding and has some retained scutes. Look on forum and read different diets people offer and any coments that go with them. A proper well varied balanced and nutritious diet and hopefully a few good sheds over time it "may" correct itself. Also a male that size should be on 50%-70% veggies .

Older than 2 years old !!! Maybe 4 years old depending on it DNA ?
You may want to clean him up a little with a OTC type surgical scrub like betadine and a soft toothbrush to see shell better. May have a little fungus on him. Then post other photo after so we can see. May just be early sign of a shed to start.

PS: nice tank just give him more water in it. You will in time need a better filter than an in tank type. A good canister design would control the waste from a 5" turtle better !
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:20 am   Re: Turtle shell condition.

Definitely male. His shell might smooth out a bit, but he needs to start shedding. Work on a larger standard aquarium sooner than later... maybe in the 90 gallon range.

@litefoot - That looks like a "turtle tank" (side cut out), so you can't really fill it up more. I wish they would stop selling those!
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:17 am   Re: Turtle shell condition.

Hope it's some kind reflection , just for my eyes , to much of a mineral deposit on glass. More I look ????

PS: put photo on my PC and blew it up Yes a cut out ! Thanks Steve. That bracket glued to that side made me think something else. Just me getting old ! If Rocky is real handy around home could replace just that side with solid glass and seal it "properly" to but some time. Only if real handy !!! Since new tank for an upgrade will be needed for an adult soon maybe let it be for now until the upgrade.

YES , stop selling those !!!
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:08 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

I got my turtle off of kijiji and that tank came with it, otherwise i would not have picked a tank like that. I have tried feeding him fruit, but he wont eat it (other than oranges and banana).I have tried scrubbing him with a toothbrush several times but i saw no difference. And unfortunately I am not handy at all. I would buy I new tank but I don't have enough money nor enough room. Also how much bigger will he get? How much should I feed him?

PS: yes that is a mineral build up but I have been unsuccessful at removing it. And sorry for all the questions but I want to ensure that he gets the best care possible.
Rocky17

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:26 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

Keep your eyes open for a used tank... glass aquariums kept in good condition are a great value. I picked up a 90 gallon with stand for $100 off craigslist.

If he's not cleaning up with the toothbrush, you'll probably just have to keep doing it for a little while. Males could be between 5-9 inches, so it's possible he won't get much bigger.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:50 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

Perfect thanks. Is it okay for there to be fish in with him, one is a suckerfish and the other is a black and white striped fish (looks similar to a small pike).
I have tried feeding him fruits and veggies, but he wont eat it (other than oranges and banana)
Rocky17

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:10 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

From your Thursday post about eating , did you see at top of this page. Forums main page under nutrition pellets / plants / veggies suggestions ?

My Piggley is same size 5" male RES. Sorry it's a photo from my notebook didn't save it on my CPU or deleted it. Maybe you can expand it to see better.
Attachments
IMG_20181018_145031326.jpg
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:48 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

That's perfect, thanks. I usually give him one freeze dried shrimp or worm a day! Since it said for the instructions to give him as much as he can eat in one day 3-5 times a week.
Rocky17

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:40 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

How do I get my turtle to eat things like fruits and veggies, I put some in every day but he doesn't eat it.
Rocky17

Next

Return to General Care Discussion