Other Turtle Discussion :: Aquatic frogs?

Non-care related topics here.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:36 pm   Aquatic frogs?

Does anyone have an aquatic frog in the tank with their turtle? They have started selling them here at the local Petsmart and while I don't intend to get one I am curious. Think the turtles would eat them? Other than the protein issue, are frogs harmful to turtles if eaten?

Thanks for indulging my curiosity!
mat012

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:55 pm   

I don't know whether they're good for them or not, but my turtles totally devoured a frog at the first of this week. Someone put a nice fat one in there because they thought it would be neat for us to have a frog in our tank. All they left was to bones and some very VERY cloudy water. I had to completely change out the water. I don't suggest it to anyone. It was rather disgusting. :?
Who ever said turtles were slow?
crackerlady2007

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:32 pm   

eeeeewwwwwwwww
Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall. Torque is how far you move a wall

1.0.0 Red Ear Slider-Cujo
0.2.0 part Boston Terrier part Pugs-Hershey and Lilly
Daniel3507

Post Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:47 pm   Re: Aquatic frogs?

mat012 wrote:Does anyone have an aquatic frog in the tank with their turtle? They have started selling them here at the local Petsmart and while I don't intend to get one I am curious. Think the turtles would eat them?

The turtle would eat them for sure. The aquatic frogs they sell at Petsmart are African Dwarf Frogs, they will always be tiny frogs. They are fast swimmers, but would surely be eaten by a turtle. Their cousins, the African Clawed Frogs, might stand a chance against a turtle if they were adults and the turtle was a baby.

It makes me sad to think of a turtle eating frogs, as I have both.
Toby - RES - adopted in December 2007 - 120g tank - Fluval FX5

Max - Pit Bull/Irish Setter/Dalmatian mix - adopted in March 2009
Lola - Pit Bull mix - adopted in June 2009
meltedspork

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:28 am   

lol Froug is almsot as big as Rolo and if i put him in with her he'd probably try and eat her the fatty!
~amy

Rolo- Female RES 3-4 years ~ lives away from home now :(

Jim- Fiance
Dein211

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:32 am   

Dein211 wrote:lol Froug is almsot as big as Rolo and if i put him in with her he'd probably try and eat her the fatty!

Hehe. If I put my frogs in with Toby they would probably try to eat him, but he would surely win as they are still little.

meltedspork

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:48 am   

Ughh this is kinda a gross story, but this retarded girl that works at a local petstore put a couple of leopard frogs in her turtle tank and the turtles ate the frogs legs off! And she still has the other frog in there!!!
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:22 pm   

imderanged wrote:Ughh this is kinda a gross story, but this retarded girl that works at a local petstore put a couple of leopard frogs in her turtle tank and the turtles ate the frogs legs off! And she still has the other frog in there!!!

Do you mean retarded like stupid or retarded like mental disability? Either way, leopard frogs need a much different habitat than a turtle habitat, not to mention why would she put frogs in with a turtle??? That makes me sad :(

meltedspork

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:16 pm   

Ewww - not so sure I am glad I asked the question... haha

Thanks guys.
Mom to:

1 RES - Tuck
3 Cats - Max, Theo, & Smokey
Lots of mollies and platies
1 Pleco - Spot
1 brand new betta
AND
2 very wild and creative 6 year old humans!
mat012

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:45 pm   

Aside from turtle welfare...

It would be very unhealthy for the frog to be in a tank with a turtle. Turtles produce A LOT more ammonia, etc. than do frogs, and considering that frogs do most of their breathing/drinking/what have you through their skin, you wouldn't have a very healthy frog.
Science rules.
taylor_a

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:35 pm   

Maybe retarded was bad choise of words...stupid would be better. I was in the shop and she came out of the back to tell her boss the frog was still alive even though the turtle ripped the muscle off the leg. I was pretty horrified. She had it in a box in the back so I didn't see it, but I saw the turtle tank with the other leopard frog in it. And this tank (55 gall I think) has 2 5in + Res and a 2 inch painted and a bunch of Koi in it. Ughh. This is why I say in my area the big chains are actually better then some of the little places. I Can't go bacck in that store. I was too disgusted.
1.0.0 RES
1.0.0 Russian Tortoise
0.1.0 Eastern Box Turtle
1.0.0 Bearded Dragon
0.1.0 Leopard Gecko
1.0.0 Pyxie Frog
0.1.0 White's Tree Frog
0.1.2 Parakeets
1.3.0 Dogs
0.1.0 Cat
imderanged

Post Posted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:53 pm   

imderanged wrote:Maybe retarded was bad choise of words...stupid would be better. I was in the shop and she came out of the back to tell her boss the frog was still alive even though the turtle ripped the muscle off the leg. I was pretty horrified. She had it in a box in the back so I didn't see it, but I saw the turtle tank with the other leopard frog in it. And this tank (55 gall I think) has 2 5in + Res and a 2 inch painted and a bunch of Koi in it. Ughh. This is why I say in my area the big chains are actually better then some of the little places. I Can't go bacck in that store. I was too disgusted.

Oh man, that is sad :( Poor little froggie. You would think that a local petshop would know how to care for animals. Our local shop is really great. They keep their animals in proper tanks/cages and the staff is very knowledgable. When I first went in there looking for a "white calcium thingy" for my turtle, the guy knew exactly what I was talking about and showed me the bird section with the cuttlebones (this was when I first got Toby and was new to turtle owning).

meltedspork

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:33 am   Re: Aquatic frogs?

I have a very docile red eared slider & he lives with 15 fish and an African dwarf frog. The frog likes to hide a lot (as does the turtle) and they are genuinely afraid of each other. However all the research I’ve done says DO NOT put them together but they have been living together in a 55 gallon take for some time now (at least 2 weeks)
Mommy to Frankie & Turtle Mr. Bubbles
Dolce

Post Posted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:56 pm   Re: Aquatic frogs?

Just remember that eventually everything will be food for the turtle. It just takes a moment for the frog to let its guard down and that will be the end of it. If you value the frog, then they should be separated.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Other Turtle Discussion