General Care Discussion :: Turtle shell condition.

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:37 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

I clean well and make sure to remove any seeds. Turtles can not digest them. I cut them up julienne style about 2-3" long works for Piggley. Others may have different ways. Also your turtle may just be picky too since it's been on an all protein diet. Sometimes to get them off an all protein diet is to use tough love just like with a child.

Stay away from the fruits those should only be for a treat once a month or very rarely. Do the veggies ! When giving leaf veggies a piece the size of the shell is good. Did you read the nutrition list on this forum ?
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:24 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

Yes, I did read the nutrition list on this forum, and I tried your feeding plan but my turtle refuses to eat anything but banana orange and his pellets
Rocky17

Post Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:34 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

If he's healthy, then I would just try the tough love method litefoot mentions. Have you tried carrots?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:13 am   Re: Turtle shell condition.

Dandelion leaves lots of turtles eat , do you have any in your part of the world ? Have you tried them ? If not some nursery's sell them , online has some too , maybe try some. Grow it yourself , very easy , for a supply. Even look at health foods store for "fresh green leaves" some good ones do carry them. My local Whole Foods store sells them in " fresh organic varieties" . My Trader Joe's carry them at times. The tough love does work it hurts "us" more than a turtle , one must stick to it to work , don't give into the begging for something else.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:07 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

I buy a mix of pellets, shrimps, worms, and cranberries... Shelly is a fan of the worms and shrimp but she will eat the cranberries too! I will post the name and brand later.
ShellyTurtleButt

Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:27 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

What in veggies does she eat ? From the other post the size of her more veggies than protein should be offered. Bet she's a picky eater like some turtles and or kids and like treats more.
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:30 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

I have tried tough love but he still doesn't want to eat his veggies and most fruit. he kinda just plays with it.
Rocky17

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:54 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

Stay away from the fruits. Fruit is not a natural food RES's would normally encounter. Maybe a small piece once a month as a treat only , most fruit not a staple , and nothing with a seed or seeds !

Can you tell us what your definition of tough love is ( day by day and what you feed him when he does not eat... )and how long you tried it.

Have you tried algae wafer's. My Piggley loves them because they sink and I can hide them so he has to hunt to find them.
https://www.chewy.com/hikari-algae-wafe ... ish%20Food
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:20 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

Try using a veggie clip... it's a $2 plastic clip with a suction cup and you can find it in the fish section of a pet store.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:05 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

My definition of tough love was only giving him lettuce and other veggies (he loves potatoes as well) and not giving on his begging/refusal to eat his veggies and just giving him his pellets. I am trying to follow lightfoot's meal plan for Piggley. Please keep in mind that I am an un employed teen that sill lives with his parents so I cannot afford all kinds of extra things for him no matter how much I want to spoil him. Also I recently got a canister filter for him. As well as his scutes still are not shedding, I have heard that dry docking is a good idea but I have no clue how to properly do it.

PS. My turtle (Rocky) seems to be especially stupid since even when I put in his favourite foods that float it still takes him a while to find it.
PPS. Rocky also eats his poop. Is that normal?
Rocky17

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:25 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

Keep trying on the veggies. A $1 pack of romaine seeds grown inside by a window can feed him for 6 months , I grow a lot year round for Piggley. I an old retired man on a fixed income , I understand about money.
[still takes him a while to find it] ??? Does he do this for all foods ? If yes could have a vision problem. Use your finger to test each side on how he reacts. If having trouble seeing won't be able to eat correctly unless you put it under his nose.
The poop eating is normal.
The scutes , offer him a few hours in outdoor sunlight if it's not a cool day , as much as you can every day if possible. This time of year , winter , will be hard. Lighting , temps , diet the setup all effect the digestive process and the shell. Also directly to scutes not shedding completely. Particle shed and the retained scutes are not helping. For some may take months to do a partcle shed espically with the retained scutes. After a few good sheds over a couple years ( yes years ) shell may correct itself. Tweak one thing at a time and all will come around in time.

Being new to hobby stay away from dry docking unless it becomes a must. If not done correctly can stress a turtle and or cause harm. Not there yet. Pick one thing at a time to fine tune his setup like basking area. Most of my basking areas over the years been done with things around the house , free. More time on setup and DIY saves money , be creative. One thing at a time... it will get better for the both of you.
Last edited by litefoot on Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:49 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

He does not have a vision problem its just that he swims against the tank the whole time im near the tank. Also how do i dry dock. Just to put it put it out there, even though he has his issues he is a very happy turtle, also all of these problems were problems when i got him because i got him from kijiji and i am his third owner
Rocky17

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:00 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

You can use search box to read all the threads on this forum on dry docking. Google too for info and or videos / pictures so you know. If and only if there's a need to do it in the future but not now. Tweak his setup and work on the diet and in time all will come around. Nothing with turtles are fixed overnight , takes a lot of patience on our part. You can not correct what the other two owners done wrong quickly , turtles need time to respond . Lots of time it's more time than you a new owner feels it should take. You are doing OK and will be his best owner.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:07 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

What should I tweak for his setup? And can i give him potatoes every day?
Rocky17

Post Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:28 pm   Re: Turtle shell condition.

To me basking area would be simple. Make sure it's large enough to offer varying temps. Not just one small area with the heat , some turtles need to just dry off to help loosen the scutes to help a shed.
What are you using to read the temps especially on basking area. If nothing ask mom what she uses like an IR reader for cooking and use that. You don't have to touch any surfaces with that type . Then adjust the UVA and UVB bulbs to a better height for each once you know the temps.
Watch your waters parameters and how you do maintenance and when. Not all clear water is safe. Scheduled maintenance , even if you think it does not need it is a must !!! Read up on cycling the water and maintaining it cycled. Helps to let nature work with you than against you allowing your filter to work easier.

Tell your parents for christmas you would like things you need for your turtle. Most beginners think light is light that's not true. Study up on UVB bulbs and ask for one for christmas. Or something you don't have that will help having a happy healthy setup. Bulbs , heater , media , test kit ... let grandparents know all for the turtle this year to help with anything you don't have. Give them and all a list so it's something that is helpful. Work with them on a plan each may buy. Not a nice purple plant grandma see's . You to me really need a regular glass tank not that cut out style (new or used) maybe even a stock tank to save on money and a better filter first. Have them all put together for it or give money so you can get it. I'm keeping turtles 55 years and still tweak thing's . The size your turtle is he really needs more water room so he can get better exercise. It also helps to control the water parameters better to hold a cycled tank. It's only been three months since you got your turtle , you doing good for a first setup. Tweaking things will offer a better and healthier environment for your turtle since he had such a poor home before you got him. Doing homework is the key in this hobby and will save money too !

Regular potatoes no , way too much starch and does not process that well. Cooked sweet potato is ok but only in very small and occasional use , not every day , say once or twice a month ! Good nutritional value BUT potentially harmful if used in excessive quantities.
litefoot

PreviousNext

Return to General Care Discussion