General Care Discussion :: Black spots on shell

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:54 am   Black spots on shell

Hello everyone, my RES named Deku is having some weird black spots on his carapace and the top of his shell appear whitish when dry. It's not mushy or anything. It's been two weeks now and he's healthy as ever but I'm worried about his shell.

Deku is about 2 inches and I've had him since last Oct as a gift from a friend. I'm living in Malaysia atm which is why I'm not using any water heater.
Tank: 2ft (am planning to get a bigger one once I moved out)
Water: 20 gallons
Filtration: HOB filter (I do vacuum the tank bottom everyday)
Water temp: 27 degrees Celsius
Basking temp: 30 degrees Celsius
UVB light: solar Glo 80W
Feed: pellets (main), mealworms, bloodworms, shrimps, anachris in the tank always
Last feed: yesterday with pellets
mummy to a scaredy, greedy, curious 2 inch RES
tharakalila

Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:42 pm   Re: Black spots on shell

Not sure the black spots are anything but keep an eye on the white area. It looks like he might be growing a little too fast, you might need to review his diet. Any substrate in the tank? What does he have for a basking area? I would keep an eye on the reddish marks on his plastron too.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:11 pm   Re: Black spots on shell

No substrate in the tank. I stacked a couple of big river stones for him to bask in his quarantine tub. The bigger tank has one of those plastic suction basking area. I feed him the recommended amount (size of its head) so I don't really know where I did wrong :(
tharakalila

Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:03 am   Re: Black spots on shell

Any chance someone else is sneaking some food to him? The overfeeding is not too bad now, but cut back a little.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:42 am   Re: Black spots on shell

Probably my two housemates.... Is feeding Deku every other day good idea to cut back the feeding? I'm feeding him nutrafin pellets. I tried the jello shots but he regurgitate them back that little brat.
tharakalila

Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:59 am   Re: Black spots on shell

Oh and I noticed when he's dry there's something flaky just on top of his eyes. What's up with that?
tharakalila

Post Posted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:50 pm   Re: Black spots on shell

You can do every other day, but I think they like to be fed everyday... I halve the amount for everyday use. Are you using veggies too? If you think others might sneak him food, you can pre-sort the pellets in a pill box and hide the rest. What color is the flakey stuff? If it's white, then it's minerals from the water.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:31 am   Re: Black spots on shell

Sorry coming in late Piggley and I are getting ready for a trip to the grandkid's.

Steve has gotten all covered well and I agree. Black spots to me not a problem either. May be from shedding , some algae that stained the shell or even from growth. The concern to me too is the reddish area on the plastron also , observe well for any change. Adjust the diet as Steve stated. You may have to modify the habitat more too and watch the white area , look at top header on this page to help correct the tank setup. Prevention is the key in this hobby.
litefoot

Return to General Care Discussion