Urgent Care :: Turtle not eating for a week and shedding

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:40 pm   Turtle not eating for a week and shedding

How big is your turtle?
2 inches and a half
How long have you had it?
6 months

What is the water temperature?
Did you use a thermometer?
Yes
Are you using a water heater?
Yes
How much water is in there?
30 litres
Are you using a water conditioner?
Distilled water
Are you using any filtration?
Yes

What is the basking temperature?
88 F
Is there a basking light?
Yes
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on?
Yes
What kind is it or what is it made out of?
Plastic but made especially for aquatic turtles
Is there a UVB light?
Yes

What have you been trying to feed it?
Pellets
When was the last time your turtle ate?
4 or 5 days ago

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure?

Is the tank near a window?
N/A
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity?
No

Have you read the Basic Care section?
Yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations?
Yes

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms?

Turtle stopped eating and is fatigued most of the time, has difficulties surfacing and keeps making bubbles underwater. No mucus from the nose but noticed that it scratches it. It keeps opening its mouth under water and on surface and preferred to bask a lot. Sometimes with its head stretched up and sometimes in a tired way. I noticed it started shedding for the first time since it is a hatchling. I put an IR light to help it raise its immune system. If anyone is familiar with this, please give me any advise.

Sarah :mrgreen:
Solhus

Post Posted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:26 pm   Re: Turtle not eating for a week and shedding

Can you try something besides pellets, perhaps some live minnows? You can also give him a soak of 1/2 warm water and 1/2 unflavored Pedialyte but getting him to eat is a priority. He should still have energy, so I wonder if he hasn't been eating for even a longer period of time.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:48 am   Re: Turtle not eating for a week and shedding

I have tried also using shrimps and soaking his food in salmon water.. No use. As if he can't see them. I will try to do the suggested options and see if it will work.

Thank you

Sarah
Solhus

Post Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:16 am   Re: Turtle not eating for a week and shedding

I went to the rescue/nature center I worked at since I retired to say happy holidays. In talking with the herp vets this subject came up.

I and they agree 100% soaks do help. At the center they found using bottled "vitamin water" instead of treated tap water or tank water they had better results in making a turtle stronger getting more nutrition in when it drank some while soaking. Use it the same way as Steve said. In a separate small container mix 50/50 the bottle vitamin water (warm)and the unflavored Pedialyte about an inch deep just to cover shell a little for a baby, soak turtle for an hour , two or three times a day. Should drink some and get some energy back to take regular food. Put a small rock in there too so if weak can rest it's head on so to breath easy. Keep it shallow so it just has to raise it's head to breath being small. Make it easy for your baby. The bottle vitamin water can most of the time be found in the same area as the Pedialyte at the drug store. Observe well the not eating is a "result" of something happening , you need to find the "cause" ! At the center we always talked to owner's about the habitat requirements which can cause lots of varying problems , this is one of them. Double check all. Is your thermometer still accurate , is it a type you can re-calibrate ? Temps do affect the digestive system with turtles , that's documented fact. Also how old is your UVB ? Lots only produce UVB ray's for 5-8 months , check your date installed. They will still produce regular light long after the special coating wears out on the quartz's glass producing good UVB rays. If you have a UVB meter you can check that too ! With baby/small turtle's bumping the water temp up to a consistent 80* which is close to what you have now and the basking area to 88*-92* can help. With the change of seasons is there a draft anywhere near it's tank ? Most air diffusers blow air in several different direction other than straight down. Going from AC to heat or heat to AC if different equipment will change the air flow. The ambient temperature does change and can affect a baby turtle more so. Since you only have him a short time (6 months) check the room for drafts. You can use a candle over tank to see what the flame does , if it moves around you have a draft. Observe well and double check all. We are an open forum with lots of successful long time turtle keepers that can help. If very concerned see a qualified "Herp" vet mainly one that treats turtles. They can run test to see if any "RX's" are need to help recover faster before it may go into something else more serious. They can as we do is advise you to correct anything on the habitat that may of caused a problem. I'm retired now an old man and I only have 55 years with turtles , for peace of mind maybe see a "Herp" vet. My Piggley is a living captive animal under my care and not only is my pet but my friend and child. Do all that can be done for your baby. Turtle can live 40-50 years with you and do become part of your family , good luck to the both of you !

Sorry for a long post I just Love Turtles ! We/I are here to advise and offer good documented info to help. Observe well for any change !
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:46 pm   Re: Turtle not eating for a week and shedding

Hello there!
I took him to the vet today. Almost a week not eating is bad. He gave him a medicine called (enrofloxacine).
This is the second day and he is a bit more active than before but still not eating :(
I have my UVB light since July 2018 so maybe it needs a change.
I got him some new treats and new food.. waiting and hoping for him to get better.
He still has his last anti biotic injection tomorrow. I wonder when will he start eating again...
Thank you all for the help!

Sarah
Solhus

Post Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:15 pm   Re: Turtle not eating for a week and shedding

Tomorrow last injection and now the enrofloxacine which is a broad spectrum antibiotic. Side effects on that is about the same as the injections loss of appetite , diarrhea , lethargy . Were any tests done / blood work ? Did vet say exactly what's going on ? Does he/she have a guess what may be going on ? This is maybe a precautionary treatment ? Would this be a regular vet or a Herp Vet that actually treats turtles.
Have you tried the soaks?

Regular UVB's only produce good UBV rays for 5-8 months. Yes will still produce white light but not UVB , the special coating on the quartz glass wears out. A mercury vapor type produces good UVB rays for about 18 months.
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:36 am   Re: Turtle not eating for a week and shedding

Did you try the Pedialyte? Also crumble up some pellets so hopefully he can eat some of it when he drinks.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:15 am   Re: Turtle not eating for a week and shedding

He has taken all his shots for the antibiotic but still no sign of improvement.
The doctor did say he has RI. He had all the symptoms. He did also say that in this of the year, they are expected not to eat and move a lot. I am panicking right now. It will be two weeks soon with no food....
Solhus

Post Posted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:50 am   Re: Turtle not eating for a week and shedding

Have you been doing the soaks ? Keep offering food and please do the soaks , they can help.
Did the vet inform you of it getting more advanced being so long now with no improvement ?
Read here : http://www.redearslider.com/major_illne ... uries.html
Curious why no mention of being treated for "RI" in any threads until now being the more serious problem. Serious enough to see a vet but not mentioned ….... going two weeks hope it doesn't go into pneumonia.
With that important info first could have gone a different direction sooner. Read here : https://www.myturtlecam.com/turtle-resp ... ctions.php
litefoot

Post Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:10 am   Re: Turtle not eating for a week and shedding

The turtle took all injections (4) and after almost a week, I have noticed that he eats from the food that gets stuck in the filter. He is also shedding skin and scutes. I have read that outing an IR light would help it raise its immune system.
I still see him tired when swimming and as of recent I felt that his swimming is a bit tilted. Maybe I'm imagining this because I'm worried but maybe not... He poops and I find him on the basking area often. A lot of times when he goes under water he sleeps. Would shedding also make him tired and eat less?
Solhus

Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:22 am   Re: Turtle not eating for a week and shedding

Not really. Some actual outdoor basking is usually very beneficial, but that depends on your weather.
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care