General Care Discussion :: Sleepy turtle

Taking care of your turtle's overall health.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:04 pm   Sleepy turtle

Quick question, and I think I already know the answer BUT I like second opinions.

I recently was finally to upgrade my girl's tank with an above tank basking spot and a proper canister filter. This is something I've been working toward for a long while, she was a rescue and came with nothing she needed. She's had the upgraded set up with double the swimming space for almost exactly 1 week and she's settling in nicely, she IS basking, still eating properly, all temperaturs are correct 74-76°F water and about 85°F basking with proper uvb and heat lamps. (I do know how to care for her) but she's been sleeping a little bit more during the day than usual, and my personal guess is she's a little tuckered out from having so much more room to swim and the slightly increase in water current to swim against all at once. I'm not too worried shes sick, I know the adjustment period for these guys who hate change can take a while just curious what others think. :) TIA
TankTheTurt

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:41 pm   Re: Sleepy turtle

Is this extra sleeping in the water or on her ramp/basking area? The change in the season also prompts behavioral changes in some RES.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:48 pm   Re: Sleepy turtle

She only ever naps in the water. I never see her dozed off on her bask.
TankTheTurt

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:13 am   Re: Sleepy turtle

I guess I would just keep an eye out for other symptoms, but there is probably nothing to worry about.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:22 am   Re: Sleepy turtle

Yes always observe well , that's the key in this hobby for your new friend. Observe and prevention.
The temps you have are good for your turtle at her size. If you want her a little more active you can bump the water temp up to 78-80* and the basking area to 88*-90*. Juveniles and young adults can handle a little lower temp more so than a baby. And the warmer temp will help keeping her more active.
All sounds normal , she will in time pick out several sleeping spots as her favorites in and out the water. A turtle by their actions and how they do something is their way to talk to us. If she likes to hang on something and sleep , offer her a floating plant in that area ( live or plastic) tied to the side of tank to make it easier for her she will love you for it. They can be just like children , keep them happy and all is better. She may try to move it around until it's perfect even if just an inch or two so adjust it for her. Once it's were she really wants it she will leave it alone and use that area more. Doing good Kitten.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:26 pm   Re: Sleepy turtle

I think the last thing I'll have to do is put an underwater resting spot for her in there. I think that would polish it off and make her happy.
TankTheTurt

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:36 pm   Re: Sleepy turtle

That would be nice for her. Something like that were just having there head below water to rest or sleep make them feel a lot more comfortable.

Just an idea , you could extend her ramp 4-5" further down into the water as a underwater resting area. Would also assist her going up to basking area easier by allowing her to get back legs on it so she can push and pull herself up ramp.
litefoot

Post Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:29 pm   Re: Sleepy turtle

She gets onto her bask pretty easy but that does make sense. I might end up doing that when I have time this week.
TankTheTurt

Post Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:30 pm   Re: Sleepy turtle

http://imgur.com/gallery/euhfPDl I did extend her basking ramp and she seems pleased with it after a bit of investigation. I forsee her hanging her foot on it to sleep lol
TankTheTurt

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:37 am   Re: Sleepy turtle

They can be pretty lazy :lol:
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:04 pm   Re: Sleepy turtle

Look's perfect , will be her preferred sleeping spot.

I'm working on piecing together a larger dry dock from cork for Piggley , he out grew the first one. May need to order more cork my junk box is getting slim. He used it to watch TV , until then I turned his basking dock some so he watches from there for now. He swim's were dry dock was and the look I get tells me he wants it back . What we do for our kids.
litefoot

Return to General Care Discussion