Urgent Care :: Urgent Care! Pink Plastron! Septicemia??

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:01 am   Urgent Care! Pink Plastron! Septicemia??

I have noticed tonight my turtle has pink spots on her plastron and I have read that it's a sign of Septicemia. The turtle has no other symptoms of blood poisoning except pink spots on her plastron. She eats very well, basks and is very active, she is growing very fast and I was hoping it was just growth because she's around 4 months old at this point and is already 2Inchs. I've had her in a 10-gallon tank for the last 2 months because her big tank cracked and It can't hold water anymore, someone I know said they will give me theirs and I've been waiting for that. I clean out her tank once a week and do water changes in between and maybe she's reacting to a bad environment? she doesn't have swelled eyes, no difficulty breathing no loss control of muscles or weakness just a discoloured shell. I can't afford a vet bill right now unless I really need to go. Has anyone's turtle looked like this before? its this normal for a fast-growing turtle to look like? also, the picture I attached makes it seem redder since it was taken at night.

Thank you!
michelloo

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:24 am   Re: Urgent Care! Pink Plastron! Septicemia??

I don't see any picture. Any other symptoms? Pinkish coloring could just be related to growth or bacteria in the water. Can you repost and answer some of the questions here --> viewtopic.php?t=2142
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:29 am   Re: Urgent Care! Pink Plastron! Septicemia??

How big is your turtle? 2Inchs
How long have you had it? 4 months

What is the water temperature? 76 degrees
Did you use a thermometer? yes
Are you using a water heater? yes
How much water is in there?
Are you using a water conditioner? API
Are you using any filtration? yes

What is the basking temperature? 84 degrees
Is there a basking light? yes
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? I use a dock
What kind is it or what is it made out of?
Is there a UVB light? yes and is 12 inches away

What have you been trying to feed it? very large appetite
When was the last time your turtle ate?

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure?
Is the tank near a window? it's near a window
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? no

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms?

She did eat some rocks about 2 weeks ago and didn't eat for a day until they passed, other than that no other unusual activity. I feed her Zoo Med Natural Aquatic Turtle Food, Hatchling Formula, romaine lettuce and carrots and every once in a while a mealworm for a treat.

michelloo

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:23 am   Re: Urgent Care! Pink Plastron! Septicemia??

Are you sure you have a red ear slider and not say a painted turtle?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:53 am   Re: Urgent Care! Pink Plastron! Septicemia??

Long story but it's a Blanding's turtle we are raising to release back into the wild to help the population, I have raised 3 of them before and never seen this.
michelloo

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:53 am   Re: Urgent Care! Pink Plastron! Septicemia??

So, on an image search, the plastron coloring looks mostly normal and just a tad pinkish. It could be from growing too fast... are the carapace scutes smooth?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:26 am   Re: Urgent Care! Pink Plastron! Septicemia??

yeah her carapace is very smooth nothing is lifting
michelloo

Post Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:33 pm   Re: Urgent Care! Pink Plastron! Septicemia??

Any abrasive substrates or basking area?
steve
Site Admin

Return to Urgent Care