Urgent Care :: Soft shell,slime, and not eating.

This is not a substitute for qualified and relevant veterinarian care.
Read this before you post a new topic here.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:12 am   Soft shell,slime, and not eating.

I have baby 2 red ear slider turtles about probably around 4-5 months old.
So I recently moved both to a 20 gallon tank with some goldfishes in them, the tank has a water heater and a basking area, I just need to get a UVB light.
Since moving them in I havent seen them eat once in a week or so, I tried soaking the pellets in tuna water also.

one of the seems healthy for the most part, always active and shell is hard for the most part besides near the tail and head idk if thats normal or not
but on the other turtle it seems pretty flimsy and the scutes are comng up a bit on the shell, plus it also has this weird slime all over its skin.

please need some help and suggestions
Attachments
50226111_224683715108390_1216696670826266624_n.jpg
50255284_1184637935016493_6920619540078395392_n.jpg
Anthonyt987

Post Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:45 pm   Re: Soft shell,slime, and not eating.

Bottom picture shows a plastic island turtle bowl. Known as death bowls ! Please get them out of that and into the 20 gallon soon. You will find out two even babies will outgrow that 20 gallon fast. More time and attention is needed on setup. Please read all topics at top header on this page , open all links and articles on each page. A proper setup can "prevent" many problems if applied.
Handling baby turtles still developing can damage them or worst. There shell's are still very pliable even there organs are still developing. The not eating is from them still adjusting to the new home. The better you set it up for "them" the faster they adjust.
Turtle shed scutes and there skin too. Do your reading and lots of homework for these two living animals now under your care.
Not all equipment sold for reptiles are adequate for RES turtles so read up please. Also some pet shops clerks are told what to sell. Push items with a high markup and offer poor inadequate info. Most never owning a turtle and have very little knowledge about them , be careful.
Do lots of planning and remember slider's grow big and fast. Planning will save you money from buying useless/ inadequate items.
Goldfish are one of the messiest fish put them in another bowl. You will have enough trying to keep two turtle in clean water !

You will find useful info like this on top header : http://www.redearslider.com/startup.html
litefoot

Post Posted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:24 am   Re: Soft shell,slime, and not eating.

What else have you tried feeding them? Are they in an area with a lot of activity/traffic?
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:38 am   Re: Soft shell,slime, and not eating.

They are actually not in that bowl, I use that bowl for feeding so the water in the main tank doesnt get dirty.
But before I moved them only one of them was eating, this has been struggling to eat since I got him, I don't know if it was sick when I got him.
Just the zoo med hatchling formula and the tetra reptomin floating food stick baby.
Anthonyt987

Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:04 am   Re: Soft shell,slime, and not eating.

Can you post a picture of the setup? Are they fed together? You might want to consider using some live prey to entice them to eat.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:25 am   Re: Soft shell,slime, and not eating.

@ anthonyt987
[ But before I moved them only one of them was eating ]

A photo of original setup were it started is better so to rule out any environmental "cause". Also a photo of new setup too to see if any changes would be needed to "prevent" this. The habitat's sliders require if not met are directly related to problems like this and lots of illnesses which are all documented fact. One of the two you bought may be a little weaker than the other even bought ill already. Where the second one is stronger and can tolerate it's new environment. The way some pet shops keep turtles is sad ( hundreds in a 10 gallon) it may be possible it was sick when you got him so the separation a must ! Turtles can hide problems well to long time keepers even herp vets that why the setup is so important , prevention and observing is to me key in this hobby. Much easier to prevent that cure a turtle.

Being winter time in US live food like worms may be hard to find outside. Sporting goods sell live bait even a Walmart sell's live worms if no pet shop close to get live minnow's. Keep offering food it may just need more time to adjust to all the changes. Separation is a must , lots of turtle illnesses are contagious if it's that. Observe well for changes !
Making the new setup as turtle friendly as possible will make that one feel more comfortable and hopefully start eating . Baby turtles do not like change ! Nor does two turtles from the same clutch develop at the same rate.

Make sure the water temp is a consistent 80* day and night and the basking area is 90-92* can help.

Before things may get worst try in his feeding dish a mixture 50/50 of unflavored Pedialyte and water , let him say in it an hour. May drink some in getting needed nourishment in until he eats solid food. This little guy may just be more sensitive to change than the other. Observe well for any more changes.
litefoot

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:29 am   Re: Soft shell,slime, and not eating.

Sorry for the late update but as of right now she looks more energetic than before but still not fully like my other turtle. She eats mostly only live meal worms or freeze dried shrimp. Rarely eats any pellets. Also had a few other question on tank cleanliness and some bacteria issues. I added the spider wood recently and the white fungus grew on it and I was told that its not bad but it literally spread everywhere in my tank. I have a zoo med 318 filter that is submersible and is supposed to clean up to 30 gallons and I have a 20 gallon tank with probably 15 gallons of water and water seems murky in about a week or so. Any recommendations on filters and none that would hurt my wallet that much. That bacteria also spread onto the turtles skin and shell but I cleaned it off the shell easily but the skin is alot hard and I left it alone for now, should I be worried at all?
Attachments
50885317_606076616508619_7672396390638551040_n.jpg
Anthonyt987

Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:43 am   Re: Soft shell,slime, and not eating.

How did you introduce the new driftwood into the tank ?

Without a price line too hard just to pick one , use guidelines on forums main page to pick a filter. A adequate filter would be your best friend.

I would break down the tank clean well filter too and start over to remove white fungus you state.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:13 am   Re: Soft shell,slime, and not eating.

Not a good diet. If they are fed at the same time, the other one will eat most of it. Find a safe container you can use to put the larger one in.
steve
Site Admin

Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:51 am   Re: Soft shell,slime, and not eating.

update: my res is pretty lethargic and is constantly gulping with mouth closed like a hiccup. also her front legs seemed to be pinned to her sides. Not sure what condition she is in but my other res in the tank is perfectly fine. any ideas on what is wrong?
Attachments
51081762_349991112262700_2915664486197100544_n.jpg
Anthonyt987

Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:20 am   Re: Soft shell,slime, and not eating.

I would separate them if something contagious as a precaution.
Not all turtles even from the same clutch respond the same.

It's documented fact a habitat , due the needs of a turtle espicailly babies , is directly tied to how a turtle responds. More info is needed , copy/paste and answer questions below.

How big is your turtle (straight carapace length ) ?
How long have you had it?

What is the consistent water temperature?
Did you use a thermometer , what type?
Are you using a “water” heater (type) and ( wattage ) ?
How long a day / night is water heater on ?
How much water is in there , gallons / liters ?
Are you using a water conditioner?
Are you using any filtration , type/size?
How often maintenance is done ?
What’s the waters parameters / numbers ?

What is the basking temperature ?
How is that being measured ?
Is there a basking light , type and distance from basking area ? ( UVA )
Is there a UVB light , type and distance from basking area ?
Are Both over the basking dock ?
How long a day are both on ?
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on?
What kind is it or what is it made out of?

What have you been trying to feed it / how often / amount ?
When was the last time your turtle ate?

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure?
Is the tank near a window?
Any drafts near tank ?
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity?

Have you read the Basic Care section and habitat requirements?
Have you searched the forums for similar situations?

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms?

Yes I see picture of tank but need some "details" please. There are several things needing tweaking from the photo.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 4:28 pm   Re: Soft shell,slime, and not eating.

How big is your turtle (straight carapace length ) ?
How long have you had it?

What is the consistent water temperature? 74-76
Did you use a thermometer , what type? yesimagitartium
Are you using a “water” heater (type) and ( wattage ) ? aqueon pro 100w
How long a day / night is water heater on ? all day
How much water is in there , gallons / liters ? 17 gallons
Are you using a water conditioner? yes
Are you using any filtration , type/size? I previously used a zoo med
How often maintenance is done ? once a week
What’s the waters parameters / numbers ? havent checked

What is the basking temperature ? 90
How is that being measured ? n/a
Is there a basking light , type and distance from basking area ? ( UVA ) exoterra solar glo 2 in 1
Is there a UVB light , type and distance from basking area ? exoterra solar glo 2 in 1
Are Both over the basking dock ?yes
How long a day are both on ? 12 hours
Is there a basking platform that is easy to climb on? yeah
What kind is it or what is it made out of? zoo med turtle dock small

What have you been trying to feed it / how often / amount ? 2 meal worms one in the morning and night, some veggie pellets and standard turtle pellets
When was the last time your turtle ate? 2 days ago

How big is the tank/pond/enclosure? 24.25" x 12.5" x 16.75"
Is the tank near a window? no
Any drafts near tank ? no
Is the tank in a room with a lot of activity? no

Have you read the Basic Care section and habitat requirements? yes
Have you searched the forums for similar situations? yes

Is there any other unusual activity/symptoms? she just sits at the edge of the dock and does that weird gulping thing. she'll extend her neck out as if shes swallowing then just kinda like gulp and also the body looks a bit like its bulging

Yes I see picture of tank but need some "details" please. There are several things needing tweaking from the photo.
Attachments
51596309_768031493560154_4130481473176207360_n.jpg
Anthonyt987

Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:30 pm   Re: Soft shell,slime, and not eating.

Thank you for the answers , helps a lot , so I will try to be clear with reply.

As I stated not all turtles respond the same to things even from the same clutch. That one turtle from your info sounds like it has a cold. Is very contagious so separate them ! That one may of been a little weaker than the other when you got them. It's feels the temps being off more . Correct the habitat and hope that’s enough to turn things around before it goes into an “RI” respiratory infection . That’s hard to cure in babies. I understand you did do some reading on habitat’s But your setup is more for an adult turtles needs. Babies RES’s turtles needs / requirements are different. It changes at every stage of a turtles growth.
Like one person in a house catches a cold and the other does not. But can and will spread in a small setup so separate the turtles for prevention.

1)Water temp too cool for babies. That one feels it more than the other one. Yes only a few degrees off but that’s a lot for a small baby turtle. Not a lot to a human but off to a baby turtle. Water needs to be a consistent 80* day and night ! Also just because a water heater dial is set on 80* does not mean it's reaching that temp. And that one you can not calibrate it. Main reason for a very accurate thermometer !
2)Those thermometer’s are known to be inaccurate. Look at ten in a store and all are different temps. Look into an infrared type , most accurate and can be used on everything ! Basking dock true temps , water and even room temps , and lots more uses. Your reading’s may be off more than you think. Also for babies basking dock needs to be at 90* . Not 90 watts. Study up on what bulbs do both UVA and UVB and see all the different distance they , each wattage , is recommended to work properly for a setup. The light you see is not all UVB rays , some even at proper distance only have usable UVB ray’s in a few inches so placement “very” important !
3)Need to know waters parameters , will be your best friend ! Study up on cycling.
http://www.oscarfishlover.com/how-to-cy ... r-aquarium
4)Since you say N/A on basking temp I have to assume the (90) you say is the wattage ? That solar glow does both UVA and UVB but did you read the specifications on placement ? It’s only has use-able UVB rays at a certain distance. Different wattage s are for different size setups. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=UV ... ORM=VRDGAR
5)Move bulb or basking dock a little so the solar glow is at the center where they can dry off better , that after you get a thermometer to read temps on basking dock so you know the distance for placement. Read the spec's . Looks a little too far away now for a solar glow type to me.
6)Diet is not bad but try some mazuri or omega one , much better.

Info on the internet is confusing especially when they don’t say what size turtle or species they are talking about. You are not far off but enough off to were you turtle has a cold. Correct habitat to what a baby RES turtle needs and that may help correct it’s health. If not will go into an “RI” respiratory infection ! That’s hard to cure in baby turtles and can not be done with “OTC” drugs , a Herp Vet is needed for “RX’s” ! Not doing bad for a beginner just tweak some so your turtle does not pay the price and observe well . Better habitat , especially the water temp and basking temps will help that one feel better with those other tweaks. How about using that long flat driftwood as a basking dock , would offer a much better range of temps than a small dock that's always hot. Let your turtle pick temp it wants or needs , sometimes they just want to dry off without all the heat.

PS; those tank dimensions are a 20 gallon high in the US. Won't be long they out grow that , next tank get a long style , RES's like to swim left to right not as much as up and down. Better hope both are not females , at adulthood will need 150-200 gallons water alone.
litefoot

Post Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:15 pm   Re: Soft shell,slime, and not eating.

I can change the dials and yes I know it depends on the temperature of the room. As for the bulb its 80w and rated at 90 degrees from 8 inches away. I dont have anything to measure the temp on the basking area but I can say its way too warm for my hand. And I occasionally try to feed them the omega one veggie pellets but they ignore it most of the time I also feed them the zoo med hatchling formula.

I only have a thermometer for the water, is there anything else would recommend? links would be appreciated

as for separating them, what can I really do? like another setup just to keep it quarantined and hope it lives?
Anthonyt987

Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:45 pm   Re: Soft shell,slime, and not eating.

update she died overnight
Anthonyt987

Next

Return to Urgent Care